Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1964 Cadillac enginge swap ..

Fizz
04-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi!

I own a 1964 Cad. SDV, witch will be transformed into a
real "sleeper" ...

As you probably know the 429 cui Cad. engine is not built for
performace ..

I´m looking for the simplest possible enginge swap for the car.

I´ve seen adaptor plates to fit a Cadillac, Potiac, Olds or Buick TH350 or 400 to a Chevy engine, and i´m quite interested in a Chevy 454 cui.

But if a Olds 455 fits the transmission right away, the that could be
a better swap i thought.

Olds 455 enginges are cheaper over here (Sweden) than the 454, and
my budget is not so large ..

I´m hoping you guys could help med out with some useful tips!

Thanx in advace!

Tomsriv
04-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I would build up the Cadillac motor. You might want to get a Cad 500 motor. Their are aftermarket heads, etc available for that motor. Search around on the internet for companies. Or you could just port the stock heads and install a bigger camshaft.

Cad heads http://cad500parts.com/head/head.htm

Fizz
04-19-2004, 09:25 AM
i have thought about that, but i´ve rejected that idea ...

i´m having a hard time finding cadillac parts already, and the Chevy parts in sweden are ten times cheaper then the cad. parts ...
sad but true ...

it would have been cool with a cad 500 cui with injection and turbo, but im not sure that my wallet (and wife) will like that .. =)

korn-fed caddy
04-20-2004, 03:37 AM
I helped revamp a 68 sdv and we used a 78 olds442 motor its pretty simple you just take motor tranny and all drop in make connections and change drive shaft end so you have 1 end caddy and 1 end olds wires and all not to bad take 2 wiring diagrams make 1 vwalah!

MagicRat
04-23-2004, 10:31 PM
I swapped an Olds 455 into my Fleetwood, with headers, Holley four barrel carb, decent camshaft and intake. It works very well and was much easier to build (parts availability mostly) than a Cadillac engine.

Fizz
04-24-2004, 01:23 AM
I swapped an Olds 455 into my Fleetwood, with headers, Holley four barrel carb, decent camshaft and intake. It works very well and was much easier to build (parts availability mostly) than a Cadillac engine.

thanks for the tip ... what kind of Cad. was it?

Add your comment to this topic!