Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ok to use Testors primer w/ Tamiya spray paint

asaenz
04-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Hello,

I have Testors primer and Tamaya spray paint.
Can I prime then spray w/ Tamaya?

Thx

Alfred

RallyRaider
04-18-2004, 07:28 AM
General consensus around here is that Testors primer is best avioded altogether. Never used it myself but heard it is difficult to sand and doesn't dry terribly well.

935k3
04-18-2004, 07:35 AM
First of all Testor's "primer" is absolute junk. It's enamel and Tamiya's sprays are synthetic laquer and the two do not mix. Get some of Tamiya's primer and you will definitely get a better paint job.

MPWR
04-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Check the label of the Testors can if it says enamel, don't use it. (I believe it is enamel, as Testors doesn't make laquer spray paints). The wise, wise words of the FAQ doth state "and thou shalt NEVER spray laquer over enamel". However, a number of scholars also believe that the sacred text is also translatable as "and thou shalt never use Testors primer, for it is crap". 'Enamel' and 'primer' are mutually exclusive terms.

mike@af
04-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Like everyone else here said, Testors primer is crap. Its like taking a crap on your model, spreading it around and calling it primer (Sorry for the graphic image :grinno:).

Its sprays really thick, bubbles, and has a rough texture. Al, just spend the $7 and get a can of Tamiya Fine primer, so what you cant buy a new mechanical pencil (but what good is the pencil when you dont have a model to draw?).

supermod04
04-18-2004, 09:57 AM
duplicolor has great automotive primer. i have used it alot, and it sands really smooth.

99% of testors spray cans SUCK! i buy the small jars of detailing paints, and thinn them down to water to airbrush then thier fine, but if you plan to spray paint, use duplicolor automotive paints, or tamiya or even boyd makes nice paints.

PRIVATEER
04-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Its like taking a crap on your model, spreading it around and calling it primer
:iagree:

shieldwulf
04-18-2004, 12:57 PM
I bought a can of Testors Enamel Chrome some time ago, decided to try it out recently. It sucked big time. The result was not even like silver. Despite relatively "skillful" handling of the spray can, and even at a big distance, the result was terrible.

I was so frustrated with the paint that I immediately washed off the painted part with Gunze Thinner, and used Gunze Super Metallic paint to airbrush instead. And the result was wonderful.

asaenz
04-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Al, just spend the $7 and get a can of Tamiya Fine primer, so what you cant buy a new mechanical pencil (but what good is the pencil when you dont have a model to draw?).

Mike cought me trying to save a buck....hee he

Thx everyone for your replies.

I am glad I asked. You guys would be proud because before I really started modeling I had bought a few cans of Testors paint (couple of years back).

I was going to actually use my Testors crap :) because I am cheap. :iceslolan

At first I was going to use the Testors orange for my r33. I figure I would have been banned for that so I bought the Tamaya Gun Metal. I then said I would use my Testors primer at least :) because I am cheap, right.

But now I will just go buy some Tamaya primer.

mike@af
04-18-2004, 08:12 PM
But now I will just go buy some Tamaya primer.

Good job. Quit being cheap on models. You spend 100's of dollars on drawing stuff and spend 2bucks on some crappy primer. Even things out.

asaenz
04-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Good job. Quit being cheap on models. You spend 100's of dollars on drawing stuff and spend 2bucks on some crappy primer. Even things out.

Got my primer...but da----ang that crap is expensive. I first thought you miss-typed when you said 7 bucks.

I get cheaper than Testors...hee hee. I buy the wal-mart brand spray cans for like .95 cents. You get tons of paint for a buck....

I use there flat black for the chassis and interior (R-33)it works great.

I am doing this 87 Grand National and using gray wal-mart primer for the interior, again .97 cents.

I figure I would use Tamaya paints for body and such and Wal-Mart spray for chassis, engines, interiors.

Mike, good looking out for this amateur modelist...hee hee
Thx

nervestrikes
04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
I use the primer from autozone, that is $2.26 for a huge can and its sandable. It is called something touch....I can't think of it now but you would know it when you saw the price. Oh and yes Testors takes too damn long to dry. You could be finish with a model before that stuff dries.

supermod04
04-19-2004, 01:22 PM
I use the primer from autozone, that is $2.26 for a huge can and its sandable. It is called something touch....I can't think of it now but you would know it when you saw the price. Oh and yes Testors takes too damn long to dry. You could be finish with a model before that stuff dries.

duplicolor primer works great. testors spray cans are crap. if you want a great finsih from a spray can then buy duplicolor or tamiya. testors detail jar paints are really good. i use them for my airbrush and dry nice. just have to thinn them to milk

Renegade
04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I know, I know I'm BIG pain the as* with this primers ... As you probably know, here in Slovenia it is impossible to get gray or white plastic primer. Few days ago I spend more than 4 hours searching it in all major paint markets ... All I found is DupliColor Transparent and Revell's primer. So here's fact nuber one:
On Revell's primer is written that it can be used for plastic, porcelan and metal.
So I'm thinking, could I get metal primer for my kits? Luckily these primer are in white and grey, so that would be a solution for me. :iceslolan Anybody tried to prime with metal primer. Would the thing work? Or should I stay with DupliColor transparent and wait for a couple of years to get Tamiya dealer in Slovenia :sly:

Vric
04-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Using Testor Primer is the worst thing you can make to a model.. no matter what king of paint you will use after.

btw My model started to look good when I left Testor for Tamiya Paint any primer.

Vric
04-28-2004, 06:06 PM
So I'm thinking, could I get metal primer for my kits?

no, that kind of primer (and paint) will hurt the plastic REALLY badly.. you will not only mess the paint, but your body will be unusable after this..

Renegade
04-28-2004, 06:10 PM
OK, thanks for the warning.

GvEman
04-29-2004, 01:47 AM
hello... i have no tip or so... but i have a question..... i have the tamiya gray primer and i have a can of TAMTS-18 (metalic red) i wonder will the paint job be darker if i use that primer insted of the white?

cheers

mike@af
04-29-2004, 06:41 AM
hello... i have no tip or so... but i have a question..... i have the tamiya gray primer and i have a can of TAMTS-18 (metalic red) i wonder will the paint job be darker if i use that primer insted of the white?

cheers

A little darker, but not much.

GvEman
04-29-2004, 07:24 AM
okay thanx gtmike

Nobbys Nuts
04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
duplicolor has great automotive primer. i have used it alot, and it sands really smooth.

99% of testors spray cans SUCK! i buy the small jars of detailing paints, and thinn them down to water to airbrush then thier fine, but if you plan to spray paint, use duplicolor automotive paints, or tamiya or even boyd makes nice paints.
I agree that you should not use the Testors primer, however the Testors spray paints are okay if airbrushed as the nozzle they provide on the cans is just c..p.
Thought this was a bit strange though Supermod - Quote "or Tamiya or even Boyd makes nice paints" unquote.
Does Boyd Coddington sell paint too or were you referring to the Boyd range of paints made and distributed by dare I say it - Testors.
I have both the Testors and Boyds paints by Testors which I only ever use through an airbrush on my models unless a touch up or detail to add.
Have never had any problems with them unless you call having to leave the model a bit longer to gas out a problem. Thats why I always have more than one on the go.

Add your comment to this topic!