Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission prob baffles experts

drk00
04-17-2004, 11:53 PM
I've been having problems with my 1989 Tacoma transmission for over a year. (4WD w/V-6) and no one has been able to identify the source of the problem.

When you first drive off after truck has been sitting over night the transmission operates like it is in low range. It shifts through gears but at 35mph your turning 5000 rpm. If 1st gear is manually selected maxes out around 10-15mph, in 2nd around 25mph. When the engine reaches a normal operating tempreture the transmission works normally.(the truck doesn't have to be driven, it can just sit and idle) Originally it happened during the cold months and worked OK during warm part of year. Now it happens much more regularly.

The transmission was totally rebuilt at a Cottman transmission service center. They have since rebuilt the transfer case and the valve box in trying to isolate the problem. I have also had a new speedometer put in since a dealer said that a sensor in that unit may be causing the problem. The Cottman place is still working on it but mainly by trail and error. I have asked around at numerous places, Toyota and other brands but no one has ever heard of a problem like this.

Other than the transmission problem the truck runs great so I would really like to keep it running. Not to mention the fact I dropped 2 grand on getting the transmission rebuilt. If anybody out there has any ideas on the source of the problem I would greatly appreciate the help. There is no doubt in my mind that it is tempreture related. As soon as temp gauge hits normal things start working right.

Add your comment to this topic!