Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sportronic racing

evospyder
04-17-2004, 09:16 PM
im having trouble with the sportronic shifter when it comes to racing. its probably because im used to standard or something, but my take-off sucks! when i had my stander 01' GS I kicked A$$, and now i have a GT Spyder 2003 and dont know what to do when it comes to racing, mainly on take-off. after take-off im o.k but i sure could use some suggestions on it. is it really almost the same as Standard?

Rulez
04-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Are you powerbraking it?

Fenixfire077
04-20-2004, 06:20 AM
ya seriously, if i'm messin around with or w.o the sequential shifter i always powerbrake, you get a much quicker go! just don't rev her up 2 high, i have the 4cyl, so my tires don't spin after i let off the brake, if i try i will get a nice chirp. but I haven't ever driven the 6.

eclipsed4utoo
04-20-2004, 08:10 AM
thats why im glad i got the 5spd. i think i would have regreted it if i had gotten the sportronic

Fenixfire077
04-20-2004, 09:06 AM
sportronic is nice because you can have the everyday practicality of an automatic, or you can have the clutchless fast shifting fun of a sequential, it's just the real manual transmission techniques which you sacrifice, the double clutching, the powershifting, etc. but a sequential works so fast that no human could keep up with it. that is why they are used in the formula 1 series.

eclipsed4utoo
04-20-2004, 04:04 PM
"double clutching"?? please tell me you're not one of those ricers that took Fast and the Furious and 2F2F and made it your lifestyle. From what i've been told, theres no such thing as "double clutching", or "granny shifting"...they were just corny phrases used in the movie to make it look like they knew what they were talkin about

Rulez
04-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Double clutching is a thing that you had to do in the past on transmissions without synchros. While in gear, you'd put in the clutch, pull the stick into neutral and then let out the clutch. Then, you put in the clutch again and engage it into the next gear. All transmissions now have synchronizers, so you absolutely do NOT have to double clutch...ever.

Granny shifting is just shifting slow.

Fenixfire077
04-21-2004, 06:20 AM
ooooh, i gotchya. well i was talking with my uncle and my dad about it, and they were explainin it to me so i had no idea. i didn't like tfatf or 2f2f, poor directing, too much visual work and eye candy. im a big movie person, i'd love to be a critic. lol but don't mistake me for one of those faggots lol. anyhow, from the way they'd explained it to me, it was getting the synchros and the main things in the tranny spinnin the same as the engine, maintaining that rpm, and then re-engaging it into any gear you want. so you could easily shift from 5-3 or something. either way, tell me what you guys know, because i'm still trying to learn everything i can.

eclipsed4utoo
04-21-2004, 08:10 AM
good to know that you're not a part of that group

00_GS
04-21-2004, 05:17 PM
My father has driven a stick for his entire life and told me that double clutching was just a way to go from first to second and so on while driving everyday. NOT to do while racing! You will lose so fast that you wont even be in second by the time they are finished! Now a days if you can just get through the gears faster than the other guy without grinding and smashing, your golden!

Fenixfire077
04-21-2004, 06:19 PM
from what i understand, double-clutching is a better way to downshift around turns.

SkiNutJones
04-22-2004, 08:25 AM
the only thing that I know of that you still have to double clutch is big trucks. We have one at our golf course that my boss couldnt drive. Double clutching is a pain, especially on old trucks! I jumped in and made it look easy cause I knew about it. He was really pissed, kinda funny.

Fecomosis
05-02-2004, 10:45 PM
I wouldnt power brake a 4cy. Mainly youd need more hp for pwbrkin' I have a standard RS 00 and it kicks butt..

Fenixfire077
05-03-2004, 10:34 PM
i'm not quite sure im understanding what you're saying. why wouldn't one want to powerbrake a 4 cyl? a 2003 eclipse GS specifically?

Zero8985
05-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Powerbraking is no good on a transmission. Ecspecially a year old transmission.

Fenixfire077
05-04-2004, 02:54 PM
gotchya, i totally didn't understand your first post. what types of things may happen, because i have powerbraked in my car many times, and it has recently been in for service on the tranny, all under warranty.

00_GS
05-04-2004, 02:57 PM
it hurts the ratios in the gears. it's not good to do unless you are driving a semi or hauling something big, which shouldnt occur in an eclipse anyways!

Fenixfire077
05-04-2004, 04:27 PM
minding any brake damage, what other problems could occur if you were to pull the e-brake and give the car some gas??

Zero8985
05-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Your kidding, right? Besides dragging your car by it's front two wheels (I assume your trying to do a brake stand, but your car isn't rear wheel drive, and you have drums in the back, so it won't work). It's worse than powerbraking. Think of it as someone strapping a refrigerator to each leg and putting you on a treadmill, and putting the setting on high. Basically, your killing your car.

Fenixfire077
05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
OK, if anyone else can answer my question a little more specifically, what types of damages could occur from holding the e-brake, and giving the car some gas. I know it DOES CAUSE DAMAGE, but I was interested in finding out specifically what it does, rather than just telling everyone else not to do it because thats what i'd heard from someone.

Zero8985
05-05-2004, 11:18 AM
It's not what i hear from someone else. One of the major things that damages a transmission is heat. When you hold your brake and hit the gas, or hold you e-brake up while giving the car gas, you building up an insane amount of heat, which hits the transmission. Heat will cause valves in the tranmission to stick, which will end up making the tranny either miss a gear or slip, and before you know it, it will stop shifting all together. If you miraculously get passed the heat problem, then you have the problem of putting a large amount of strain on the transmission. Engines and Transmissions are built to carry loads specific to them, mainly that being the weight of the car, max suggested passenger, and trunk luggage maximum. Holding that e-brake or a regular brake while pressing the gas is putting about double the strain on the engine and tranny, which is about double what the engine and tranny is capable to handle. The engine and tranny are then forced to work twice as hard for normal output, which cuts the life of the engine and tranny down significantly(if done commonly).

Fenixfire077
05-05-2004, 05:22 PM
allryte, now i see what you're saying, there was no explanation before, and i always have to hear a why with everything, i would feel embarrassed to give someone advice or w.e and not have any explanation behind it. anyhow, when i powerbrake the car (if you want to call it that) i floor the brake, rev up to about 2k rpm (it stops about there anyhow) i hold it for about 2 secs - while maintaining my position on the throttle - i quickly let off the brake, and chirp my tires, as a showy kind of thing, and even if i was racing it'd probably give me an accelerating advantage only because the tires quickly hookup, there's no downtime from spinning my tires or anything. anyhow, my curiosity is if i am holding that 2k rpm for such a short period of time, and am not revving the thing to the point where the tires break loose, is it still causing the same damages, if any at all???

Zero8985
05-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Yes it is. In reality, there is no line to where it does or does not cause damage, and you'll never see any signs of damage immediately, but over time if you keep doing that, you'll see signs of damage. But than again, anything dealing with pushing your car to a limit is damaging, and i'm not about to tell you what you should or should not do, so my suggestion is, weigh your options. Constantly take better jumps off the line as you race, and risk future problems, or save a few years on the car, and just start from a complete stop. The decision is yours.

Zanark
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Eh idk what yall have been hearing but Double clutching is not just being in one gear put in the clutch put it in nuteral blah blah blah, Your supposed to match the Revs duh. You put in the clutch, put it in nutural, rev it up to the correct engine speed,|put out the clutch as soon as its in nutural| put in the clutch, put it in gear, and take go. thats double clutching, and YOU DO NOT WANT TO DOUBLE CLUTCH WHILE DOWNSHIFTING around a corner, Most newbies will over rev that bitch put it in gear and have a little wheel spin or that "push" feeling you get and end up in a ditch. Theres a new way to down shift boys and girls its called heal and toe o_O. Lol thats what heal and toe is its just matching revs, you do not heal and toe fast unless your at a VERY high rpm already in your former gear. Or else you'll over rev. I think thats the main reason why people mess up they over rev when they try to heal and toe, you just gotta feel for it, its not just a movement its actually matching engine speed. any way thats my two cents :D

Fenixfire077
05-05-2004, 11:22 PM
dude you just cleared up like everything that was confusing me. lol thank you. i don't know if anyone else has gotten this, but when you start to learn alot about a whole bunch of diff things all at once, you forget bits and pieces of things and start thinking it's one thing for sure. like listenin to lyrics of a new song, and you think the guy is saying this one thing the whole time, and when you finally read the words, it's something totally differennt and it's so hard to forget what you originally thought the line was because for some reason it just fit. lol i dunno, it's late - forget this im going to sleep lol.

Zanark
05-06-2004, 07:50 AM
lol yeah i know man when I first started driving a stick I didnt know what the hell Duoble clutching was and my mom wouldnt teach it to me going "You dont need to learn that its pointless" lol I had to ask my dad who lives all the way in texas about it. And heal and toe? Pshhh I dl'd some clips from best motoring( I didnt know at the time it was in jap) And I saw these little men doing some weird kinda motion. So I kept playing that motion over and over and over again lol and I started to mimick it in my car cause I thought it looked cool, then suddenly o_O boom I downshifted and it didnt make that bobbing I was like "Whoa dude" lol so then I kept doing it and doing it and I got it down pat pretty damn good and one of my friends was riding with me one time and he asked me "whered you learn how to do that" I said "learn how to do what" he goes "Heal and toe, Ive been trying to do that for the past few weeks I cant get it right" I was like "Hell I didnt know what it was called I just saw some guys doing it on these videos I downloaded" So there yah have it, yeah crap does get confusing just know this Heal and Toe is good to use any time your driving, And get power shifting out of your vocabulary, its pointless, and are eclipse trannys arent meant to perform in that way. But yeah learn things in time man its the best way to do it. If you rush things then you start getting confused. thats the mistake alot of people make in life, then there over whelmed and end up messing things up. BUt the easiest way to practive heal and to is to NOT try to heal and toe from third to second, just practive matching engine revs meaning[when your cruising along in say forth dont put your foot on the break any, go ahead and put in the clutch put it in third while the clutch is still in rev it to match engine speed the best you can, feel for that pulse in the clutch, and let it out]. Do this many times and try not to over rev, its better to under rev then over because its just like downshifting the old fasion way. Do this and when you get it down pat practive while breaking slightly and so on. I promise you, youll learn fast and well.

Lost2000GS
05-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Doubleclutching can also be used while riding a motorcycle if youre at a high speed and want a little more torque when you shift, thats what alot of riders do to make their bike jump up into a wheelie at vey high speeds

Ht Velocity
09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
hey i am about to buy a new 07 gt eclipse with a sportronic shifter and i need to know if it is any good for racing

rodbls
09-05-2007, 04:09 AM
First things first...do us all a favor and look up at the date this thread was last posted in (if you are lazy I will just tell you....SO OLD IT DOESNT MATTER HOW LONG AGO IT WAS). For future use, never ever, ever, ever do this again.

And because I'm only a half asshole: Sporties are about the same as an auto. They are for lazy people, or people that live in very congested areas with lots of stop and go traffic all the time. They are obviously easier to drive, however, get up against a good driver in a manual car and you will leave humbled.

808drifter
09-05-2007, 09:30 AM
The gearing is the same for both and I can tell you that its your 3rd gear that will kill you. Something like 55-65 all the way to around 110.
just thought I'd throw this in here while I could.

Sleepr awd
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
if you want to simply do drag racing, mitsubishi's aren't for you.

808drifter
09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
If you want to do racing this CAR isnt for you. .lol

Add your comment to this topic!