Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 blazer soft brakes

96blazerman
04-17-2004, 09:04 PM
I have a 1996 4.3L s10 4x4 blazer. Just got finished replacing all the front pads and both roters and all rear shoes. Bled all 4 wheels several times. I still have very little stopping power. With engine off pedel fells tight. with engine running pedel is very spongy and goes close to the floor. Test drove it and got to 30mph and put both feet on the break and applied enough pressure to slam me through the window. The anti-lock did not even engage. Came to a slow stop. If this was a real traffic stop i do not think it would stop in time. I am bleeding the breaks the normal way by pumping and opening the valve.. Like i said i did it several time to each whell. When replacing the breaks the front pads was just about shot. one roter was scratched slightly the other was not.. but replaced both anyway. Not that much more in price for turning them. Back brake shoes was not that ba, indicating breaking was being mostly done by the front brakes. I dont know if the anti-lock should engage if the brakes do not try to lock, because they are so spongy. Any suggestions out there that i can look at? PS> brakes have always been in question.

mekanic1
04-17-2004, 10:20 PM
hey blazerman try checking the master cylinder. alot of times there may be a vacuum leak somewhere. if you bought the truck new i would suggest letting the dealer deal with the problem. now also make sure you are bleeding the brakes in order. starting with the R/R, then L/R, the R/F then L/F.ive seen too many people try to bleed from the front and work back but it cant be done like that. you mentioned that the ABS is not working when you slam on the brakes due to little pressure. the sensor may not be recognizing that you are hitting the brakes as hard as you are. is the ABS light on? if so have the codes run by your local mechanic or possibly Auto Zone. I am not sure if they can run the codes or not. They may be able to tell you if your sensors are working or not.

96blazerman
04-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I have a 1996 4.3L s10 4x4 blazer. Just got finished replacing all the front pads and both roters and all rear shoes. Bled all 4 wheels several times. I still have very little stopping power. With engine off pedel fells tight. with engine running pedel is very spongy and goes close to the floor. Test drove it and got to 30mph and put both feet on the break and applied enough pressure to slam me through the window. The anti-lock did not even engage. Came to a slow stop. If this was a real traffic stop i do not think it would stop in time. I am bleeding the breaks the normal way by pumping and opening the valve.. Like i said i did it several time to each whell. When replacing the breaks the front pads was just about shot. one roter was scratched slightly the other was not.. but replaced both anyway. Not that much more in price for turning them. Back brake shoes was not that ba, indicating breaking was being mostly done by the front brakes. I dont know if the anti-lock should engage if the brakes do not try to lock, because they are so spongy. Any suggestions out there that i can look at? PS> brakes have always been in question.

No lights or warnings indicated... Just bad brakes.. I did start bleeding from the RR/LR/RF/LF (positions indicated as sitting in Drivers side looking foward) I did note that when you press the brake the brake fluid reservoir looks like a volcano inside on the back well. Not sure this is normal or not. Is there any good way to check the master cyl.

mekanic1
04-18-2004, 02:57 PM
you say it looks like a volcano!! when pressing the pedal SLOWLY, is there any air coming out when you press the pedal?? if so replace the master cylinder o-rings. i have personally never actually tested a master cylinder, so i dont know the actual steps to check it. what i can tell you is that there are a couple of o-rings where the pushrod goes into the cylinder. when they go out you usually get bad brakes. try this, drain all fluid from the master cylinder, take the cylinder off and check the o-rings that go into it. if you have some on hand, you could just replace them right there. if not go buy a box of misc sizes and check to see which one fits. other than that, i dont know what else to tell you. let me know if that helps.

price111
04-18-2004, 05:51 PM
There are several possibilities with a bad master cylinder. 1) it could be an internal leak. A sympton of this is if you sit still, like at a stop sign, with your foot on the brake, it will slowly go all the way to the floor.

2) external leaks. Unforunately, this is usually from the rear of the m/c and it has to be removed to see it.

When you spread the caliper pistons, did you force the fluid back to the m/c or did you relieve pressure with the brake bleed screw? I have blown a m/c using the first method and have never done it again. When I spread the piston in the caliper, I loosen the bleed screw and let it bleed off there.

My guess is the m/c needs replaced. As there's not much else. Did you have a someone do the pedal while you bled? The two-person system works a lot better than the one-person system.

LOL

cehinds
05-10-2004, 08:35 PM
94' S10 Blazer. new rotors, pads, 2nd master cylinder, new power brake booster. Rear shoes and drums ok. I have bled this thing to death and still don't get a good pedal. It will stop, but not quick enough. Has four wheel antilock brakes but can't get the ABS system to fire even with heavy pedal pressure. Any suggestions? How about a conversion to standard brakes?

cobra1
05-11-2004, 02:37 AM
94' S10 Blazer. new rotors, pads, 2nd master cylinder, new power brake booster. Rear shoes and drums ok. I have bled this thing to death and still don't get a good pedal. It will stop, but not quick enough. Has four wheel antilock brakes but can't get the ABS system to fire even with heavy pedal pressure. Any suggestions? How about a conversion to standard brakes?

your brakes will work fine even with a malfunctioning ABS. you most likely still have air trapped in the ABS unit itself.

dolfo
05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I had the same problem with my 96. Replaced the master cylinder and all was fine. There are 2 recalls on the ABS unit. 1 is a software upgrade the other, I believe, is a valve. Take it to the dealer and have them take care of it for FREE!

ritz93
07-25-2004, 07:33 PM
i have the same year blazer and have the same problem, but my anti lock works, but no pedal goes right to the floor. please let me know what you come up with, thanks

blazerwoes
08-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Just found this site... I have almost every problem described for my 96 blazer. Answer to the break issue... the power booster attached to the master cylinder. Dealer could not find problem. ABS recal did not apply to my vehicle. Local 3-toothed mechanic (who really knew his chevy's) knew what the problem was immediately, fixed it within the day and have not had ANY problems with brakes since. Hope this helps.

dphp90
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Just found this site... I have almost every problem described for my 96 blazer. Answer to the break issue... the power booster attached to the master cylinder. Dealer could not find problem. ABS recal did not apply to my vehicle. Local 3-toothed mechanic (who really knew his chevy's) knew what the problem was immediately, fixed it within the day and have not had ANY problems with brakes since. Hope this helps.

What did your 3- toothed mechanic do to solve this brake problem ???
My ABS doesn't work and I have to stand on the pedal with both feet to get this Blazer to stop... Rear brakes won't lock up , Right front won't lock up , Left front is the only one will stop..But use both feet..thanks David

bigry2004
10-26-2005, 11:17 PM
do drum brakes [rear] typically last longer than discs? i replaced my discs a few weeks ago - much needed, but holding off on the drums. any advice?

rlith
10-27-2005, 07:31 AM
What did your 3- toothed mechanic do to solve this brake problem ???
My ABS doesn't work and I have to stand on the pedal with both feet to get this Blazer to stop... Rear brakes won't lock up , Right front won't lock up , Left front is the only one will stop..But use both feet..thanks David

Replace the brake booster... If that doesn't help you probably have air in the ABS unit..

hime_99
07-15-2006, 06:19 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I have the same ploblem on my blazer replaced the master cyclinder bleed the brakes 5 dam times brake booster is ok some one told me i still have air in the abs system and have to bleed it opened both bleeders and still got a soft brakes does anybody know if theres a speical way you have to bleed the abs?:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

blazee
07-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. We'd be happy to help you, but you'll need to start your own thread. This one belongs to someone else and is out dated.

Add your comment to this topic!