Ford Probe engine swap, 5.0, need info.

280zxninja
04-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Although everything is possible with gobs of money and a HUGE amount of sponsership, i have neither of the two, so i was wondering if anyone, not stupid or redneck, would know how, if possible, to put a 5.0 turbocharged ford police interceptor engine, in a ford probe. I am aware that you can swap the engine for the mazda JDM engine, but i found a deal that i can not pass up on this 5.0 engine, and thought it would be a bad mo fo if i put this engine in a ford probe. Thanks for the help, no thanks for the b.s.

psgt21
04-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Although everything is possible with gobs of money and a HUGE amount of sponsership, i have neither of the two, so i was wondering if anyone, not stupid or redneck, would know how, if possible, to put a 5.0 turbocharged ford police interceptor engine, in a ford probe. I am aware that you can swap the engine for the mazda JDM engine, but i found a deal that i can not pass up on this 5.0 engine, and thought it would be a bad mo fo if i put this engine in a ford probe. Thanks for the help, no thanks for the b.s.

Like you said, It might be possible with major modifications but the 2.5 V6 that's already in the GT is a tight squeeze. If I were you I would do a KL-ZE swap and supercharge it or build a turbo kit. Just my opinion.

NCX
04-19-2004, 07:55 PM
would know how, if possible, to put a 5.0 turbocharged ford police interceptor engine, in a ford probe
uhm, I've never heard of this being done, but you would probably have to modify the hell out of the engine to get it to fit, and then you're still going to run into drivetrain problems. I've read about people doing crazy things to their probes, but the biggest engine I ever read about someone fitting in their engine bay that wasn't specifically designed for the probe was a Taurus SHO engine. I really don't think there is a way to do it for cheap, cheap. I think you're looking at a wall of money to get what you want done.

probev8
06-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Just wondering if you had any luck with this swap, or if it was just a pipe dream. I've been converting to V8's for a while now. The next project in my shop is to take a 95 Probe GT and put a 289-351 SBF/C4/8.8 rear. It makes perfect since. I can spend 4000.00 for a turbo kit for the probe, and still have a motor with 150k miles boosted and putting out 285 Real HP or I can build a V8 with 400 HP for half of the money. I don't see a down side to the V8 swap at all. Just takes a little knowledge and a whole, whole lot of patience. This Turbo 5.0, what year did it come out of?

DysProbe
06-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Just wondering if you had any luck with this swap, or if it was just a pipe dream. I've been converting to V8's for a while now. The next project in my shop is to take a 95 Probe GT and put a 289-351 SBF/C4/8.8 rear. It makes perfect since. I can spend 4000.00 for a turbo kit for the probe, and still have a motor with 150k miles boosted and putting out 285 Real HP or I can build a V8 with 400 HP for half of the money. I don't see a down side to the V8 swap at all.

A turbo complete custom turbo kit can be had anywhere from 1500+, which makes more sence then trying to squeeze a v8 into an engine bay that is already cramped with a 2.5 153c.i. v6. With the v8 there is much much more to consider then just the engine alone, getting a drive shaft to the rear in a fwd car, completly converting the rear end of the car to accept a drive shaft/rearend, getting the computer to work with a v8, totally modifying the front end to accept new motor mounts, modifying firewall to accept a rwd tranny....the list goes on and on. And in the end it will be much more expensive then even building a complete forged internal low compression high boost kl03.

There are rwd cars out for a reason, that already have v8's, save the trouble and buy a camaro or a mustang. Get a fox body 5.0 and build a 302 up, they will fly.(My preference being on Mustangs) Just don't desimate a probe to try to put something in that shouldn't even be considered.

codyguy
06-25-2004, 11:52 PM
won't work without major mods, the biggest motor i've seen a person put in a probe, and that is with pretty major mods is a 3.8 DOHC, and that is huge for that car, if you want a rwd probe go with a rotary twin turbo from an rx7

codyguy
07-04-2004, 11:34 PM
it won't work unless you have the money to make it into a rear wheel drive car, been there done that, won't fit sideways, have to mod it to make it a rear wheel drive, in which that case, you should just go buy an rx7 or mustang or something, because you are better off buying a new car with that kinda money ha ha

doucmehu
07-05-2004, 11:00 AM
in agreement with most of the other people on here, it would be nearly impossible to cram that engine into the tiny bay of the probe, not to mention the weight and handling issues, the rwd issues......

DevoutWankelist
07-09-2004, 01:52 PM
won't work without major mods, the biggest motor i've seen a person put in a probe, and that is with pretty major mods is a 3.8 DOHC, and that is huge for that car, if you want a rwd probe go with a rotary twin turbo from an rx7

Don't you dare!

[/crying]

89probegt
07-29-2004, 02:22 AM
The Is A Kit Made For A Probe That Is A 5.0 Swap It Is About 5g's

nubtuner
10-19-2004, 01:51 AM
The Is A Kit Made For A Probe That Is A 5.0 Swap It Is About 5g's

I know this discussion has been dead since july, but I was wondering if ths 5.0 really exists. If it does could someone point me to where I can check it out? Thnx

4dr92cavi4cyl
10-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Yeah, a 5.0 with all of its torque will twist that probe into a pepsi can in 1 second, unibodys are not made to twist.

zx2srdotnet
10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
302 powered probe:
http://www.9500rpm.com/probe/

and there is also a SHO powered probe:
http://www.harborside.com/~lhumbert/probepg.html

tbone47129
10-21-2004, 12:06 AM
That would be one pissed off street probe.

Add your comment to this topic!