Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tech Help - Ignition Module

armpit94sl2
04-17-2004, 04:22 PM
My engine wont turn over when it is hot. I often have to wait 45 minutes until i am confident it will crank and turn over. I think it may be the ignition module, but then it again it could be the coils. How can I determine which one it is?

Lucas1
05-18-2004, 05:27 PM
how do you know its not the crankshaft position sensor? that is the most common failure that causes that problem. ignition madules in saturns are very reliable. also, when this happens do you have fuel pressure????????????

armpit94sl2
05-18-2004, 11:59 PM
My engine wont turn over when it is hot. I often have to wait 45 minutes until i am confident it will crank and turn over. I think it may be the ignition module, but then it again it could be the coils. How can I determine which one it is?

I dont have fuel pressure at all. It's weird. The car won't start when the engine is hot. One more thing, have you ever experienced not being able to access 1st and 2nd gear, and only 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears? I find myself bringing the car up to 30mph in the first gear slot, which is really third gear. When I shift the shifter, I can only access three gears! Weird! What controls this and how can I get back 1st and 2nd gear?

Lucas1
05-29-2004, 08:47 PM
if you have no fuel pressure at the fuel rail, then your problem is most likely either a fuel pump issue, whether electrical or the pump itsself. next time this happens have someone crank the car and hit the bottom of the fuel tank with a hammer or something heavy, dont pound the crap out of it, just smack it a few times, if the car starts, you have a bad fuel pump. as far as your shifting problem, i dont really understand what youre asking, when youre going 30mph you wont be able to shift into 1st or 2nd, you would destroy your tranny if you did anyway. and i have no idea what youre saying about 1st and 3rd bieng the same gear?????????????????

armpit94sl2
05-30-2004, 09:02 AM
First and second gear are not acessible in my car.

I only have access to three gears in my car. These gears are: third, fourth and fifth. I am missing first and second. Any thoughts?

if you have no fuel pressure at the fuel rail, then your problem is most likely either a fuel pump issue, whether electrical or the pump itsself. next time this happens have someone crank the car and hit the bottom of the fuel tank with a hammer or something heavy, dont pound the crap out of it, just smack it a few times, if the car starts, you have a bad fuel pump. as far as your shifting problem, i dont really understand what youre asking, when youre going 30mph you wont be able to shift into 1st or 2nd, you would destroy your tranny if you did anyway. and i have no idea what youre saying about 1st and 3rd bieng the same gear?????????????????

Lucas1
05-30-2004, 05:05 PM
it has to be something inside the tranny, synchros or blocker rings. not a repair you should try yourself................

Add your comment to this topic!