Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GSI Mr Color Super Metallic - Plate Silver (heavy pics)

shieldwulf
04-16-2004, 07:52 AM
1) Here is something latest from Gunze Sangyo which may perhaps be almost as good as Alcad's Chrome?

http://www.toycube.com/stuff/gsi-sm07-01.jpg

http://www.toycube.com/stuff/gsi-sm07-02.jpg

2) I don't know what it says in its "HOW TO USE" instruction texts since I dunno Japanese. Perhaps the thinner is specially used to thin the paint for airbrushing. However, I found that the paint can be airbrushed straight from the bottle without requiring to thin at all.
http://www.toycube.com/stuff/gsi-sm07-03.jpg

3) Here is a sample photo of airbrushing some parts straight from the bottle without any thinner:
http://www.toycube.com/gallery/tam_24258_skyline_gtr/DSCN5113.JPG

rx7king
04-16-2004, 08:26 AM
looks good, how much?

shieldwulf
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
I paid SGD$19.90, about USD$11.70

mel_carramel
04-16-2004, 09:16 AM
did u get it from Tamiya Store?

shieldwulf
04-16-2004, 09:20 AM
It is a LHS with well-stocked GSI paints and tools.

Fkouch
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Looks pretty sweet. Did you need an undercoat? Does it rub off like Testor metallizers or is it tough like Alclad?

Cheers

Farrokh

malsheem
04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Looks great. I've never tried the Super Metallic line, but I think I will. Something fishy about buying $10+ paint mailorder that I've never seen. I wish my LHS carried GSI stuff other than Mr. Aqueous Hobby Color. Anyone tried any of the other colors like Super Metallic Chrome Silver or Super Fine Silver?

Also, I believe the second bottle isn't thinner, but a sealer for the paint. It wouldn't make sense to have a separate thinner, plus sealers are pretty common for fancy metallic paints. Just a thought.

shieldwulf
04-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Looks pretty sweet. Did you need an undercoat? Does it rub off like Testor metallizers or is it tough like Alclad?

Cheers

Farrokh
I still have no idea. I think I should have sprayed a basecoat of flat black like what I read in mags for spraying Alclad chrome. But for this Gunze paint, I forgot to. Yet, the result seems good enough for me. :icon16:

I tried to scratch the paint with my finger nails, it cannot rub off. Feels like you need either thinner or pen knife to remove it. I guess its quite tough I think.

Can anyone translate the "HOW TO USE" instructions? That may help to explain the "mystery" of the clear liquid bottle accompanying the chrome paint bottle. :)

RallyRaider
04-16-2004, 09:55 AM
I've just got some of this too. Very nice stuff, in the bottle it looks like liquid chrome. I don't know what the deal is with the special thinner I first thought it was a sealer or something. I went ahead and thinned the paint with automotive laquer thinner and it worked fine.

This pic is a comparison. Alclad Chrome is at the back, GSI Creos Plate Silver in front.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/50846chrome_2.JPG

shieldwulf
04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
I've just got some of this too. Very nice stuff, in the bottle it looks like liquid chrome. I don't know what the deal is with the special thinner I first thought it was a sealer or something. I went ahead and thinned the paint with automotive laquer thinner and it worked fine.

This pic is a comparison. Alclad Chrome is at the back, GSI Creos Plate Silver in front.

Looks good! Do you think we have found an alternative to Alclad? Or is Alclad still the "chrom-iest" paint in the market?

RallyRaider
04-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Looks good! Do you think we have found an alternative to Alclad? Or is Alclad still the "chrom-iest" paint in the market?

A close call. I think Alclad has the edge in chrominess. But IMHO the Silver Plate is far less fussy to work with and will be better value for money in terms of coverage per bottle.

We'll have to experiment and see under what conditions the Plate Silver works best, I just sprayed it over grey primer. A translation of those instructions would be handy!

malsheem
04-16-2004, 10:20 AM

From the pics, GSI looks better. Next time I order paint, I'm definitely going to pick up a few Super Metallics and give them a shot.

Fkouch
04-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Anyone tried brush painting it?

What about the other colours, like Titanium and chrome? Anyone got any of them?

Cheers

Farrokh

djmr2
04-16-2004, 12:22 PM
This is what R10 says about these paints.

1: PAINT THE BASE IN GLOSS BLACK ( I would assume enamel like alclad)

2: PAINT THE SM06 WITH RATIO 1(PAINT):1.5(THINNER). USE MR. LEVELING THINNER

3: KEEP STIRING THE PAINT IN THE CUP FREQUESNTLY WHILE PAINTING

4: DO NOT PAINT OVERCOAT WITH CLEAR KIND OF PAINT.

5: WHEN IT IS PAINTED, IT LOOKS UNEVEN BUT IT BECOME GLOSS AND EVEN AS IT DRIED.

Also they noted that SM07 should be used with the thinner that is provided.

Anyone have pics of the other colors? I have super titanium, and chrome silver on order, as well i have Super Silver and Super Stainless but won't have pics anytime soon as I have no airbrush at this time.

RallyRaider
04-24-2004, 05:05 AM
Done a bit of experimenting with this stuff and have come to a few conclusions.

1. You don't need to spray it over enamel, lacquer works fine. I think Alclad chrome only needed enamel because it bonded to it better to prevent rubbing off.

2. Since Silver Plate has no problems problems with rubing off and is quite tough - it doesn't require a sealer.

3. It works just as well over a grey primer coat as a gloss black base.

4. For a really good finish to the Silver Plate a super smooth base coat is essential.

5. The thinner that comes in the package doesn't seem to make much of a difference, normal lacquer thinners work just as well for me.

6. As a bonus you can tip the tinner into a spare container and you are left with a nice clean paint jar for mixing - neato.

7. I love this stuff and am ordering some more!

Fkouch
04-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Done a bit of experimenting with this stuff and have come to a few conclusions.

1. You don't need to spray it over enamel, lacquer works fine. I think Alclad chrome only needed enamel because it bonded to it better to prevent rubbing off.

2. Since Silver Plate has no problems problems with rubing off and is quite tough - it doesn't require a sealer.

3. It works just as well over a grey primer coat as a gloss black base.

4. For a really good finish to the Silver Plate a super smooth base coat is essential.

5. The thinner that comes in the package doesn't seem to make much of a difference, normal lacquer thinners work just as well for me.

6. As a bonus you can tip the tinner into a spare container and you are left with a nice clean paint jar for mixing - neato.

7. I love this stuff and am ordering some more!

Where did you get yours from? I've tried HLJ and 1999.co.jp and no luck so far. Also have you had any luck brush painting it?

Cheers

Farrokh

Add your comment to this topic!