Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Your opinion? Is it worth it?

NiN52445
04-16-2004, 03:11 AM
I'm just wondering what you guys think about this deal. I'm getting a Chevy 350 out of an '81 Z28, the transmission, a new carburater, new intake, headers, a new exhaust with fake catalytic converter and Flowmaster muffler, new Hurst slap-shift, and a new paint job (both inside and out) for $1,825. The motor ran 14.9 in the Z28 it's being taken out of, and with the upgrade we expect it to run somewhere in the 13s. My car has a hood scoop, so cool air isn't nessessary. Think I'm running away with a deal, or is it not worth it?

ghostguy6
04-26-2004, 04:32 PM
I dont know, how does the engine itself look and sound when it runs?

NiN52445
04-27-2004, 06:02 PM
The motor looks and sounds really good, and hasn't really been used for a few months. The person who I'm getting it from lost his license due to too many tickets, so it's been just kinda sitting there for a few months.

MagicRat
04-27-2004, 08:47 PM
The paint job.......body shops know all the shortcuts.....cheap paint may not be worth it.
Otherwise it sounds fine. If you can, pull the intake and a head off the engine, inspect the ridge at the top of the cylinder, (be cautious of any ridge that will catch your fingernail), look at the cam and lifters for wear, and look at the bearings, especially if you can use some Platicgauge.
Of course the owner may not like the intrusion, but realistically, anyone who wants to buy the engine for more than the cost of a rebuildable core would inspect it the same way.

Add your comment to this topic!