Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SRT-4 vs. WRX

Joseph1082
04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
My firend is considering both cars... He really wishes for an STI but it is too much, this is a plain WRX. Anyway, he likes the WRX better, most likely for the higher quality interior and other comforts. I think the SRT-4 is faster but he has a point. Opinions anyone?

AcesHigh
04-15-2004, 09:05 PM
It looks like he has his mind set on the WRX. It all boils down to which car he likes better.

freakonaleash1187
04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
imo, he is making the right decision to go after the wrx instead of the srt-4. i dont like the srt-4 because yes it is fast, but it has those quirky headlights and weird looking stance and proportions.

Joseph1082
04-15-2004, 11:55 PM
But it is substantially faster, is it not?

youngvr4
04-16-2004, 12:49 AM
not really, i mean srt-4 have run times of 14.2 down to 13.7. the wrx have run from 14.4 to 13.9 so it probably depends on the driver, i say wrx

youngvr4
04-16-2004, 12:53 AM
2003-2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

A monstrous new Neon has been created by Dodge's PVO team, powered by the 2.4L engine boosted with a Mitsubishi turbocharger. The engine, underrated at 215 hp in 2003, is now rated at 230 hp and comes standard with LSD for 2004.

Base price : $19,995 Get a free price quote

Engine : 4 cylinder, turbocharged, DOHC, front engine FWD
Displacement : 2,429 cc
Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 5-spd manual
Fuel economy : city - 29 mpg
highway - 36 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
R - Independent multilink
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Solid discs

Horsepower : 230 hp @ 5300 rpm
Torque : 250 lb-ft @ 2200 rpm
Redline : 6750 rpm

Top speed : 153 mph
0-60 mph : 5.6 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.2 sec @ 102.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 120 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.85 g

Curb Weight : 2970 lbs
Overall length : 175.7 in.
Wheelbase : 105.0 in.
Overall Width : 67.4 in.
Height : 56.5 in.

2004-2005 Subaru Impreza WRX

Compared to the 247 hp Japanese version, the US release of the WRX is tuned down to meet emissions standards. The 2004 model gets a new front end and minor improvements. The sport wagon version does not have the flared fenders.

Base price : $23,995 Get a free price quote

Engine : 4 cylinder, turbocharged, DOHC, front engine AWD
Displacement : 1,994 cc
Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 5-spd manual, 4-spd automatic
Fuel economy : city - 19-20 mpg
highway - 26-27 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
R - Independent MacPherson strut
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Solid discs

Horsepower : 227 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque : 217 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline : 7000 rpm

Top speed : 147 mph
0-60 mph : 5.7 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.4 sec @ 94.3 mph
60-0 braking distance : 130 ft.

Curb Weight : 3085-3140 lbs(sedan), 3165-3220 lbs(wagon)
Overall length : 173.4 in.
Wheelbase : 99.4 in.
Overall Width : 66.7 in.(sedan), 68.1 in.(wagon)
Height : 56.7 in.(sedan), 58.5 in.(wagon)

crayzayjay
04-16-2004, 03:33 AM
The SRT4 costs $19,995? :eek:

Bastards!

Joseph1082
04-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Sticker at the dodge dealer was around $21K w/ sunroof 'n s*it.

youngvr4
04-16-2004, 06:22 PM
i've seen em at 18

Boss San
04-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Oh! This one's easy.
Why would you get a SRT-4 over a WRX?
The SRT-4 is going to be falling apart a couple years later regardless of how it's been driven.

Joseph1082
04-17-2004, 03:36 AM
y do people say that... it's a chrystler, probably the classiest of the american 3... owned by benz, and built totally different than a regular neon

Boss San
04-17-2004, 10:56 PM
The build quality on them is terrible.
They build them cheap to sell them cheap.
You think they don't know who's gonna buy them?
It's a target audience 18-30 or whatever, knowing that they mostly are gonna get buried by young people who don't know how to drive yet.

freakonaleash1187
04-17-2004, 11:28 PM
actually boss san, i have heard that the srt-4's engine is pretty strong. suprised you haven't read that in other threads about the srt-4.

Boss San
04-18-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm not talking about the engine.
I'm talking about the car as a whole. The external look and finish, interior design, what they use to build it, fabrics, seats. All of it.
The engines are alright but it will never make up for all the other problems the car has.

Joseph1082
04-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Ok, I test drove it, some things are cheap, like power windows for only the front two, the two rear ones and manual... who the hell thought of that. But the had to cut corners I guess to offer that level of performance at that price... what do they say, fastest car hands down for $20 or less.

nacho_nissan
04-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Oh! This one's easy.
Why would you get a SRT-4 over a WRX?
The SRT-4 is going to be falling apart a couple years later regardless of how it's been driven.
lol, wait until neutorino(or what ever his name is) reads this! whatch out... :grinno:

Neutrino
04-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Its all comes down to what you want. You want a car with a very broad powerband with the potential of low cost/huge power gains, nimble, and with available top notch suspension mods get the SRT4.

You want a car with a bit better interior, with a narower power band but with AWD, more stable but a bit less nimble, also with plenty of aftermarket get the WRX.

After testing the two cars I would take the SRT4, mainly because I love autox and it has amazing potential for that. However the WRX is not far back on my list and you cannot go wrong with it.

Jimster
04-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Neither of the cars are at the fore-front of build quality, both have neck snapping performance in a straight line. I'm not too sure about the SRT4's handling, personally, I imagine the earlier ones without the LSD would be a nightmare to drive, but the MY04 ones would be the one to have.

I'd take the WRX- especially with the state of my favourite driving roads over here :D

Speeddude123
04-19-2004, 01:44 PM
SRT-4 is a piece. It has cheap plastic coveing the entire car. It will fall apart withing 10 minutes of real racing. The WRX is alot better.

crayzayjay
04-19-2004, 04:12 PM
SRT-4 is a piece. It has cheap plastic coveing the entire car. It will fall apart withing 10 minutes of real racing. The WRX is alot better.
Take it easy on the noob, Neutrino :iceslolan

Speeddude123
04-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Thats just my bias speaking. Im a huge fan of the WRX.

crayzayjay
04-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Sure, everyone's biased. But if you're completely closed-minded, this isn't the forum for you.

Speeddude123
04-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Ill make a note of that, and try to be more open minded. :)

crayzayjay
04-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear it :)

Neutrino
04-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Take it easy on the noob, Neutrino :iceslolan

I don't know what you are talking about. Its not like I practice my shaolin ninja killing skills on noobs everyday :uhoh:

I take vacations too you know..... :biggrin:

Speeddude123
04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Well then what kind of asian karate were you trying to kill me with last night huh!?!?!! :sly:

Boss San
04-20-2004, 12:29 AM
My master Wang Hung Low has taught me much in the way of fighting, especially the snake technique. :iceslolan

hello_im_drunk
04-20-2004, 01:57 AM
My friend has raced a srt-4 (killed it) and he said he could tell it had alot of turbo lag, but it could have just been a crappy driver. I dunno if that helps you it being not so reliable info, but I'd take the subaru, its the better all around car.

Neutrino
04-20-2004, 02:09 AM
My friend has raced a srt-4 (killed it) and he said he could tell it had alot of turbo lag, but it could have just been a crappy driver. I dunno if that helps you it being not so reliable info, but I'd take the subaru, its the better all around car.

the srt4 has virtually no turbo lag. Its power band its very broad, much more so than the powerband of a WRX.

Joseph1082
04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I test drove it... it has pretty strong pick-up through-out the band... but, you could see that the "real" power kicks in @4000RPMs. Reaching four you could feel the car start to take off, but I had to shift because the guy came with me. I could feel the potential though.

Neutrino
04-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I test drove it... it has pretty strong pick-up through-out the band... but, you could see that the "real" power kicks in @4000RPMs. Reaching four you could feel the car start to take off, but I had to shift because the guy came with me. I could feel the potential though.

If you are talking about the srt4 you did not push it hard enough - sounds like you were a bit aprehesive because of the salesman. I say that because the srt4 has 100% its torque available as low as 2400RPM.

However to get that kind of power you have to shove the pedal. One of the best features of that car (often overlooked) is its next gen ECU. Its completelly model based and has no maps so it constantly readapts. It also looks at how fast you push the pedal to gauge your intentions. Be gentle and it will be conservative, push the throtle hard and it will swich to a very agresive mode high boost, advanced timing etc....the ECUs that come with the stages will even hold 100% bost during WOT shifts.

Joseph1082
04-20-2004, 10:37 PM
I know... I wish I could test drive the damn thing w/o the guy.

Neutrino
04-21-2004, 12:26 AM
I know... I wish I could test drive the damn thing w/o the guy.

Yeah it was the same when i tried the 350Z, I swear that guy had at least 3 heart attacks everytime I tried something.

However for the srt4 and WRX me and polygon knew the guy so I got to try its real capabilities.

stealthj
04-21-2004, 12:47 AM
y do people say that... it's a chrystler, probably the classiest of the american 3... owned by benz, and built totally different than a regular neon
the hell u talking about foo?? benz dosent own chrysler, chrysler owns benz

daimler chrysler owns alot of car companies now, thats why we are seeing alot of SHIT TIER cars start to come out,

cuz CHRYSLERS ARE SHIT

how the fuck do u compare the impreza to the neon?? ur neon gonna break down in a month

Neutrino
04-21-2004, 01:42 AM

daimler chrysler owns alot of car companies now, thats why we are seeing alot of SHIT TIER cars start to come out,

cuz CHRYSLERS ARE SHIT

how the fuck do u compare the impreza to the neon?? ur neon gonna break down in a month

Yes and all the chrysler top guys fired themselves and put germans in their places :rolleyes: Or maybe Dieter Zetsche is from idaho and just pretends to be german.

And next time an SRT4 blows your doors off, tell him how his car will break down soon. Just make sure that you yell loud enough so he'll hear you far far ahead.

Jimster
04-21-2004, 01:50 AM

cuz CHRYSLERS ARE SHIT

Stealth, please son, take my advice and stay out of the business side of the automotive world, you claerly don't know crap about it.

Daimler-Benz effectively runs Chrysler now, as Neutrino saaid- I have seen the lists of Chryslers American board members who disapeared 2 years after the aquisition, about 95% of Chrysler execs are gone.

Now run along and play with your 240's and Supras.

stealthj
04-21-2004, 01:54 AM
dont worry about it :)

R32's Kick ass
04-21-2004, 06:00 AM
america may have a under tuned wrx but the sti version is 2.2 ltr.. oficialy its the most powerful rex to come outa subaru unoficialy the 22b is the most powerful. in aus wrx's run high 13's with around 165kw they have narow tourque band as mentiond about 50 times b4 so if u get too much grip it will bog down an fall of boost an the srt-4 will rape u b4 u no it but get too much power an wear out the clutch easy (wrx clutches are HORIBLE!!!) gear box aint that strong either. but if u learn how to lounch it fast (u have to own on to do that cause no use practising in gran turismo or need for speed cause they cant simulate u dumping or sliping the clutch if u own suabru u should slip the clutch to save u sum money but if ur gona buy it to kill it do as u like. (i heard that the neon motor is from mistubish and that chrysler is going to sell v8's to mitsufor their next large sadan in aus ne way.) if you want to talk about interiors i would have to say japanese cars r REALLY bad wen it cum to interiors they suk. but remmerb that they sell thses cars to rally teams which rip everything out of them basicly (for examply the evo 8 rs) has steelie rims (no hub caps either!!) the brakes are looking very anorexic no power windows, air con, radio or anythign electri in interior cause they sell them ONLY to rally teams their not legal on streets. these cars are made to be modified straight away. explains dodgy interoirs for jap cars but about the neon well jus cums down to build quality nufin else. cheap to make cheap to sell simple as that.

crayzayjay
04-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Please, PLEASE, use spellcheck.

Raz_Kaz
04-21-2004, 01:21 PM
:+1: could barely understand what was said

Polygon
04-21-2004, 02:34 PM
For all you people saying that the SRT-4 will just fall apart or that Chrysler is crap has probably never owned a Chrysler in your life so do us all a favor and STFU.

As for my opinion on the matter I would get the SRT-4. It has far more potential than the WRX. It has a better-built engine. And how can you beat factory mods that are warranted by the manufacture? And, how can you beat the price?

kfoote
04-21-2004, 02:47 PM
IMHO, the SRT4 is the best value for a new car under $25k (including WRX).
IMO, the STi/Evo are the best values for a new car $25k-$45k.
IMO, the Corvette Z06 is the best value for a new car over $45k.

All have the potential to be very fast, and all either do have or will have good aftermarket support. IMO, the differnce between the WRX and SRT4 comes down to personal preference and exactly what you are looking for, just like the Evo/STi debate.

My head hurts from the gibberish to English translation.

Joseph1082
04-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Are Chrystlers shit?? I always thought they had the highest quality of the American 3. Let's see, GM, Ford, or chrystler? I think Intrepids and LHS's have always been more luxurious than their competition, and always have run strong too. The 300M had the most horses of any of it's competiton for a while, now the comp has caught up. And as far as a knew it was a MERGER not a TAKE-OVER. One company didn't simply buy the majority stock of another and make it a subsidary... they combined stock to form one SINGLE company, and as far as I heard, and it looks like I'm right, Benz are the ones controlling the new entity. BTW, don't ever call me a fool when you are TOTALLY WRONG FOOL!!!

Jimster
04-21-2004, 10:07 PM
For all you people saying that the SRT-4 will just fall apart or that Chrysler is crap has probably never owned a Chrysler in your life so do us all a favor and STFU.

As for my opinion on the matter I would get the SRT-4. It has far more potential than the WRX. It has a better-built engine. And how can you beat factory mods that are warranted by the manufacture? And, how can you beat the price?
Mmmmmph, I've never known Chrysler quality to be top of the tree.......The 2.4 has presented itself as an extremely reliable motor thus far and the internals of the SRT4's engine are very strong. But considering the 2.0 Neons love of blowing head gaskets and the Voyager 3.3's dodgy fuel seals, which have caused about 60 of them to go up in flames and the timing belts have been known to prematurely break, which is the tip of the iceberg from what I can see.

The signs for Chrysler are promising though- the 2.4 is a strong trouble-free motor and build quality is slightly better. But I still treat them skeptically. It is easy to see how one can be unconvinced of Chrysler quality, though.

Polygon
04-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Mmmmmph, I've never known Chrysler quality to be top of the tree.......The 2.4 has presented itself as an extremely reliable motor thus far and the internals of the SRT4's engine are very strong. But considering the 2.0 Neons love of blowing head gaskets and the Voyager 3.3's dodgy fuel seals, which have caused about 60 of them to go up in flames and the timing belts have been known to prematurely break, which is the tip of the iceberg from what I can see.

The signs for Chrysler are promising though- the 2.4 is a strong trouble-free motor and build quality is slightly better. But I still treat them skeptically. It is easy to see how one can be unconvinced of Chrysler quality, though.

The head gasket issue was only an issue for some of the early Neons. The problem was rectified, and a blown head gasket isn't that big of a deal. There has only been one car from Chrysler that I've ever heard of that likes to snap timing belts prematurely and that is the Turbo III engine used in the Daytona Iroc R/T. Unless the timing belt was installed just right it can snap very easily. This was a problem with the DOHC Lotus head that was used on the car. Other than that I've never heard of timing belt problems. I've also never heard of this problem with the Voyager. All car companies have problems. There have been a lot of cars from Ford that like to burst into flames when you rear end them. There have also been a lot of them that the cruise control activates as soon as the car is put in gear. Granted you don't hear about these kinds of problems with BMWs and other cars of the sort, but that is because there are a lot less of those built than there are these common cars. Quality control is a lot harder when you build a lot more cars than another company.

All I know that that every single Chrysler product that I or my family has ever owned has been problem free. All the problems we've had with the cars have been driver related or regular maintenance. Experience is invaluable. I just sick of people calling Chrysler products crap when they really know nothing about the cars other than what they've read in Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, or heard from other people.

youngvr4
04-22-2004, 03:40 PM
whatever the srt-4 has run ive seen the wrx run right behind it like .2 sec behind, i tend to like the way the wrx feels and its excceleration. yes srt-4 is a little faster but what about handling? i beleive the wrx wins in that category, and the wrx has just as much potential as the srt-4 imo

Joseph1082
04-22-2004, 05:59 PM
The WRX is just as fast as the STR-4, I thought it was much slower, I heard the SRT-4 runs something like 13.6, that's close to STI times?

Polygon
04-22-2004, 06:05 PM
whatever the srt-4 has run ive seen the wrx run right behind it like .2 sec behind, i tend to like the way the wrx feels and its excceleration. yes srt-4 is a little faster but what about handling? i beleive the wrx wins in that category, and the wrx has just as much potential as the srt-4 imo

The reason the WRX is right behind it in the 1/4 mile is because of the great traction it can get off the line. However, I'll be willing to bet money that the SRT-4 has much better top end than the WRX. As for handling, the SRT-4 handles pretty good for a FWD car. I can't wait to see when SCC puts the stage three coilovers on their project SRT-4 and see what they think. The WRX simply has better grip because of its AWD. However, the WRX Neutrino and I test drove exhibited more body roll than the SRT-4 and the SRT-4 just seemed to be more nimble and responsive. It also stopped a lot better. I have to really disagree on the potential though. The SRT-4 engine is a closed deck design while the WRX uses an open deck design. Open deck engines are much weaker than closed deck engines. They have much lower tolerances.

StupidBrodie
04-22-2004, 06:55 PM
lower tolerances? well this may become a factor if you're building a full on drag car but other then the overrated 1320 im sure the WRX can make enough power to take the SRT-4 on any road course...
dont let the sloppy stock handling of the rex fool ya... the suspension is very detuned along with the motor, seeing how its not the top model, making it any better would just take sales away from the STI

Add your comment to this topic!