Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Japanse RX-7

PapoSwing
04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I have been looking at a 92 Japanese Rx-7. Do the Rx-7s they sold in Japan comply with US Standards? If not what company can legalize one for me? Any other info on importing an RX-7 to the US would help me out a lot.

Soyo
04-15-2004, 08:12 PM
there were no 92's... not in america atleast, I don't think there were any in japan either though, they just kept selling the 91's till the 93's came out early

YukiHime
04-15-2004, 10:46 PM
http://www.mazda.co.jp/history/rx7/Norm/20Year/9208.html
Well, if you can read Japanese, just try the following link.
http://www.mazda.co.jp/history/rx7/Norm/20Year/chrono.html

PapoSwing
04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
You guys didn't answer my question though. I don't care about the year or whatever, I simply want to know what is the process of legalizing ANY Rx-7 from Japan? What company is capable of legalizing ANY RX-7 for the US? And how much it would cost me?

YukiHime
04-18-2004, 09:15 PM
First of all, I'm not a guy. Second, if we don't know which model is it, how can we help you with it?

PapoSwing
04-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Let's Just say it's a 93 Japanese RX-7, OK. Does that give you ANY more info into you knowing what company does these conversions, or how much it costs?

Steel
04-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Why not..just... buy one here? it'll be cheaper and easier.

Oh i know.

You want JDM y0! If its JDM it MUST be better than USDM :rolleyes:

Dude, i'll tell you right now, the only real difference is that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car, and the convertibles were turbocharged.

dayna240sx
04-19-2004, 06:47 PM
First of all, I'm not a guy. Second, if we don't know which model is it, how can we help you with it?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

PapoSwing
04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
SO by telling me that the only difference between a Japanese Spec Rx7 and a US model is the steering wheel placement, than I don't have to convert it into US standards? Right, I didn't think so. The only thing I want to know is what company can convert me a Jap RX7 to US Standards. I yeah I could get one here, but I want the one over there!

DevoutWankelist
04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Just so that we are clear on this, if you could buy a carrot that was 1/2 lb for only $1, or you could spend $1 on a JDM carrot weighing in at 1/2 lb that you had to spend $2 converting to US std. You'd still buy the JDM carrot?

Are those three ridiculous little letters that important, and if the answer is yes, please explain. The only concievable reasons I can come up with for 'needing' something that is the same but costs more follow. Please feel free to add to my list as I'm sure you have a great reason for needing a JDM carrot. :rolleyes:

1. Mental defeciency, failed basic math.
2. Mad tyte JDM yo!
3. You ran out of your meds and havent gotten your new perscription yet because it takes a month to ship JDM pills.
4. Your compensating for something *cough*smlpns*cough*

dayna240sx
04-19-2004, 10:10 PM
There is no company that converts them.

Steel
04-19-2004, 10:13 PM
SO by telling me that the only difference between a Japanese Spec Rx7 and a US model is the steering wheel placement, than I don't have to convert it into US standards? Right, I didn't think so. The only thing I want to know is what company can convert me a Jap RX7 to US Standards. I yeah I could get one here, but I want the one over there!

Exactly. Steering wheel placement, and a couple emissions things are missing.

That.
Is.
It.

Soyo
04-19-2004, 11:37 PM
yea you just have to find a company that ships them and usually they can fill you in on what needs to be done... the cat. conv. probably need to be switched to US spec ones to pass emmissions(maybe) but really theres not a whole lot to be done...

but honestly, I'd encourage you to just buy from here... shipping alone is gonna cost you crazy dollars

flex339
04-20-2004, 02:28 PM
sometimes people sell JDM rx-7s on ebaymotors so you could check there.

PapoSwing
04-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know of any companies? Or how I could begin to look them up?

dayna240sx
04-20-2004, 09:03 PM
NO COMPANIES

it would be illegal to remove emmisions from a stock car and sell them here

RB25240kouki
04-21-2004, 10:11 PM
I bet Motorex would do it... they say that they can get what you want... but it would be into the $20 - $30k dollor range. Just answer this one question... Why do you want a JDM rx7? O yea one other difference. Speedo is in KMH only (unlike the MPH w/ KPH on the inside of the speedo on some US cars) and that has to be changed for it to be legal. The main diffences in the JDM car to the US is that the steering wheel is on the right, there is no EGR valve, the gauges are in metric, and i THINK the windshield is different. If you look at people who import skylines its much the same.

Soyo
04-21-2004, 10:56 PM
but importing a skyline is normal because we don't have them here... we have FC's and they aren't very expensive, which makes this a dumb idea, end of discussion

RB25240kouki
04-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I didnt say it was a good idea... but if I had the money id be driving a Spirt R

Soyo
04-23-2004, 03:17 PM
if I had money I'd have a 20B in my FC... maybe even the 4-rotor "R26B" if I could get my hands on one and figure out a way to make everything fit :)

Aruba27
04-23-2004, 06:54 PM
it'd probably be much easier if you got a jdm motor... but i don't think there are any differences... yeah, motorex is a bitch, they're semi monopolyish (don't get started on that argument) and they will charge you a lot to bring it over. the shipping alone is going to be a couple grand. for skylines getting everything to pass U.S. standards costs something close to 25K, that's not including the price of the car or shipping. however, i don't know what the difference would be for an RX-7, but i have a feeling it'd be pretty close to those numbers. so here's what i think you should do: if you're willing to spend that much money, buy a 3rd gen here with a blown engine, but good body, get the R1 spoilers and such, buy a j-spec 3 rotor and have it installed for the same price. the only thing you're missing is the steering wheel on the right side of the car, and ifyou really want to, you could probably find a conversion for that as well, or just duct take the steering wheel from a riding lawnmower or something on the passenger dash, trust me, that one works just as well if you're looking to confuse people.

Soyo
04-24-2004, 02:37 PM
my vote still says 20B

jramosrx7
04-25-2004, 11:23 PM
There's a company in So CA that specializes in importing and federalizing Japanese cars, e.g., the Skyline GT-R. I'm afraid I don't recall its name, but they've been written up in many of the car rags. They do no convert the cars to left-hand drive, they just make sure it conforms to all the requisite federal standards. BIG $$$$$$$$$$!!!

flex339
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
so wait.......basically not worth it. yup

Soyo
04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
^^^ if only the guy that started this thread would realize that

flex339
04-26-2004, 03:40 PM
the truth just has to hurt sometimes. :eek: :banghead:

flex339
04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd say it would be easier to buy an imported front clip and do a RHD conversion. Then you could say it's different and you did the work. Twice the "bragging" rights if you can call that bragging rights.

wide-body silvia
04-26-2004, 03:50 PM
if i were you i would take aruba27 advice and just but a 3rd gen here and put all that money that you would be throwing away by importing one, put the money into the motor and tape a steering wheel to the passenger side of the dash jackass.

autoxef
05-09-2004, 05:00 AM
After you buy a jap. spec. car you must first rent a container which start at $1000. In order to get the car in through customs you must get someone in Japan to remove the motor+ trany, doors and wheels and carefully pack it all up into a container. This way it is concidered a parts car and they wont hold it and charge you a very expensive storage fee. Now after you finish puting together your new car(if everything is there) you must find a way to register it. You dont have a title and jap. spec. cars dont have vin tags on the dash their under the hood. You could do some junk yard hunting and find an rx-7 that they havent junked the title to and buy it. Now you can remove the vin tag from the dash which will require removel of bolth cars windshilds and if you didnt damage it reinstall it on your jdm rx-7. Oh I failed to mention that is a felony, whoops. Because the car now has a salvage title it will need inspection or if you bought or sell it out of state and as soon as the sheriff checks it out you are busted. So if you just want a race only car buy a jap spec car, if you want to be jdm as hell buy a us spec fd that isnt runing or a theft recovery and purchase a complete jap. spec. front clip and make the us car rhd with the parts from the clip. All the holes should be their if not cut the fire walls out and switch them. Follow my word and you will be the master of jdmness my son.

Faze2183
05-09-2004, 05:12 AM
20b or R26B is the way to go lol

btw whats the stock hp on a 20b?

and what is ithe hp for the 20b turbo?

whats the power ratin of the R26B?

Soyo
05-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm pretty sure there is no 20b turbo, but there is probably a kit.

the 20b has like 300-350hp I think

the R26B in the lemans car had just over 700hp I believe

althoug a custom fabricated one would probably be around 500hp(this taken for the other thread about the 26b)

DevoutWankelist
05-09-2004, 01:44 PM
I thought all 20b engines were twin turbo stock?

Aruba27
05-09-2004, 01:58 PM
there were to versions of teh R26b, one was in the 787b, and the other i don't remember... the one in the 787b was 700 hp, the other one was 650. however, they're ridiculously expensive since there was never a production of them. there are very very few of them.

Soyo
05-09-2004, 02:17 PM
my fault I got mixed up, they did have twin turbos, some of them were non-turbo though
20b-rew = twin turbo
20b(maybe 13g) = non-turbo

but while I'm at it I'll put the hp and torque #'s up for the 20b-rew:
torque = roughly 295
hp = roughly 280

then theres possibly a 20b race engine which is the non-turbo one I was thinking of, but I think it is really a 13g because they seem almost identical, but anywas heres the stats for this:
torque = roughly 280
hp = roughly 450

unless I calculated it wrong, but I think thats right

khfromhb
05-12-2004, 06:59 PM
hey motorex legalizes just about enything

khfromhb
05-12-2004, 07:04 PM
just like all the drugs this guy is taking to buy a "JDM" FD

jjakazion
06-11-2004, 04:31 PM
U Guys Are Haters The Dud Has A Preference And Ive Seen The Rx7 He Is Talking About It Is A 92' Thats When They Started Making Them In Japan So It Is Like Are 93' Anyway I Wanted To Do The Same Thing Import A Jdm Fd But When I Posted On A Forum For Some Info A Lot Of Assholes Told Me I Was Stupid For Wanting Something Like A Spirit R. Cant Get That Over Here But I Geuss Your Stupid For Wanting Something That Other People Dont Have. Dud If U Have The Money Buy Wut U Want And Fuk All These Other Guys Who Want To Tell U Wut To Do With Your Money

Soyo
06-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey Look I Can Capitalize All My Words Too... Does It Make Me Look As Gay As That Other Guy?

JDM YO!!!

import a j-spec rx-7 and all the ricers will be invious I'm sure

drftk1d
06-11-2004, 05:11 PM
I really cant understand this jdm fetish, imean if you wanted to import a car that wasn't sold here (ie the skyline) thats feasible, but if you can buy a car that is already sold here, why get it from another country if you can save money?

Mind boggling.

kman10587
06-11-2004, 05:15 PM
The Japanese RX-7's make more power, because they don't go by the same emissions standards as us. By the time it's legalized, it's not much faster than a USDM RX-7. You'd be better off buying a USDM RX-7 and using the extra money to soup it up.

Soyo
06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
acctually they have the exact same power and speed, its the same freaking car, it just has the wheel on a different size

RotoryEnthusiast
06-11-2004, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes:
I agree with everyone here, why waste the money to import the car? I guess the only thing to do at this point is let you make dicisions for yourself, since it is infintely apperrent at this point that you have to have whatever it is you want. Let it be known that cars imported from Japan are no different save the fact the the ADM has higher standards for the make of the cars. There is a reason for our emissions being so hard to pass.

ghetto7o2azn
06-11-2004, 11:50 PM
its for a better left arm workout duh... it works your left tricept, bicept, lat, and pecs... :screwy:

Soyo
06-12-2004, 01:34 AM
yea cuz he works the right one too much already...

jacking off, incase you were too stupid to figure it out yourself

MATTB1979
11-17-2004, 09:13 AM
http://www.j-garage.com/sale/usedcars/sale.htm
this company sells jdm rx-7s and can help with importing a specific car

B_Rock
11-17-2004, 10:05 PM
ok, folks, you are ALL missing some key points. here we go. some of this may or may not currently be relavent to the thread.

the FD made its Debut in '92, some say as a '93 model. i know this b/c MY PERSONAL CAR is a "'93" but was actually a '92 model.

The US version actually has more efficient exhaust due to it being LHD. The RHD uses a different downpipe in order to clear the steering equipment.

converting a LHD chassis to a RHD would be a nightmare. i know this b/c i looked into doing it, b/c I like the "mAd tYte JdM" look. the next best way is to cut and weld a clip. still a nightmare if you ask me.

the JDM FD made the same amount of power until they changed the turbo setup to produce 285bhp instead of 255.

as for swapping to a 3 or 4 rotor motor, that's great for going straight due to the increased power and reliability (for a motor swqapped car), but it actually degrades the handling a bit due to the fact that it throws off the perfect 50/50 weight balance.

D3rELiC
11-17-2004, 10:26 PM
as for swapping to a 3 or 4 rotor motor, that's great for going straight due to the increased power and reliability (for a motor swqapped car), but it actually degrades the handling a bit due to the fact that it throws off the perfect 50/50 weight balance.

you might want to add that the -re engines mount are further forward, therefore putting more weight in front of the car.

FCsilvia
11-20-2004, 03:37 AM
I've been gone for only a week or two and I could've sworn another person asking the EXACT same thing before I left. What the hell? USE THE SEARCH BUTTON PLEASE!!

This is getting old.

I've already checked and called. You're looking anywhere between $40,000 to 100,000 dollars depending on the year and model FD3S you want.

Let's some it up AGAIN!

1. Importing
2. Emissions
3. State testing (meaning they'll need a demo car to crash and smash)
4. Windshields and Glass
5. Bumper and supports

Its a lot more money than you think. I've called and talked to a contact I have at Motorex and he explained everything they have to go through before selling any of the Skylines they import for sale. Many times, new buyers will have to wait for months for they're car if its not from the collection on Skylines they already have to sell.

- Kevin

Aicd
11-21-2004, 09:29 PM
haha Soyo you jackass...
sorry i just had to say that.

Aicd

luckycharms
11-23-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm trying to import a 92 RX7 too..........

http://www.motorex.net/contact.html

that link/site does a lot for skylines. iono if there are such services like this for RX7s, but if you want to you can call'em and ask about it.

As far as i know.... DOT (Department of Transportation) says no one is allowed to have JDM (right-hand-drives) anywhere in USA; only postal carriers are allowed to drive right handed. I've talked a little w/ EPA importing, and they say if you import you must meet USDM standards by:
changing catalyst, oxygen sensors, and just a few other stuff....( I have a document on this if you want it).... you might have to change to a left hand drive too.....

Iono how much all this'll cost, but I hear it's expensive.

(If u find any new info. , please let me know-post it up or something). Thanks....

fcdriver
11-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Try looking at some of the importers that I posted links to in here...http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=321103

that guy.
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
I have been looking at a 92 Japanese Rx-7. Do the Rx-7s they sold in Japan comply with US Standards? If not what company can legalize one for me? Any other info on importing an RX-7 to the US would help me out a lot.
dude just go to rx7club.net, you'll find better answers there. these jackasses just like to whore posts.

Aruba27
12-09-2004, 12:31 PM
alright, here's a more relevant question... i hope. along the lines of the RHD chasis, would it be possible to import just the chasis, use american parts to build up your car untill it came to the engine/turbo setup so that it would be pretty much be a j-spec RX-7? I think that would probably be the cheapest way to get away with it if you have the time to put the car together. that would be a fun project in the future i might want to do, but that's at least 5 years away for me.

D3rELiC
12-09-2004, 01:48 PM
alright, here's a more relevant question... i hope. along the lines of the RHD chasis, would it be possible to import just the chasis, use american parts to build up your car untill it came to the engine/turbo setup so that it would be pretty much be a j-spec RX-7? I think that would probably be the cheapest way to get away with it if you have the time to put the car together. that would be a fun project in the future i might want to do, but that's at least 5 years away for me.

you think too much, unless you are talking about a full race car, theres no way it would cost you less to build a car with bough pieces than to buy the whole car.

Aruba27
12-09-2004, 08:40 PM
alright, i guess my question is answered

Dreamspawn
12-14-2004, 01:08 PM
As far as i know.... DOT (Department of Transportation) says no one is allowed to have JDM (right-hand-drives) anywhere in USA; only postal carriers are allowed to drive right handed.

Lol do u know how many Nissian Skyline in the US are LHD .............. NONE last i herd motorex has sold over 75 skylines in the US none of which are LHD. Also do u know how many other misc. cars running around are RHD. Check ebaymotors somtime for RHD

ls1mazda93rx7
12-15-2004, 01:24 AM
mailto:SALES@JDMENGINESINC.COM

ls1mazda93rx7
12-15-2004, 01:30 AM
eBay home | pay | my eBay | sign in | site map | help

Back to list of items Listed in category: eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories > Other

JDM MAZDA RX-7 1.3 TWIN TURBO PARTS CAR - 13BTT Item number: 4510419999

Seller of this item? Sign in for your status Email to a friend | Watch this item in My eBay

Supersize

Starting bid: US $8,000.00

Time left: 1 day 15 hours
10-day listing
Ends Dec-16-04 14:55:57 PST
Start time: Dec-06-04 14:55:57 PST
History: 0 bids
Price: US $8,000.00

Item location: Paterson, NJ
United States

Ships to: United States
Shipping costs: Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
Shipping and payment details

Seller information
japanesengines ( 207)
Feedback Score: 207
Positive Feedback: 97.3%
Member since Dec-18-02 in United States

Read feedback comments
Add to Favorite Sellers
Ask seller a question
View seller's other items

Safe Buying Tips

Financing available

No payments until April, and no interest if paid by April
if you use PayPal Buyer Credit for purchases over $199. Subject to credit approval. US residents only.
See details | Apply now

Description

JAPANESE ENGINES INC.

60 SPRUCE ST.

PATERSON, NJ 07501

973-881-8158

1-888-886-8898 TOLL FREE

SALES@JDMENGINESINC.COM

================================================== ================================================== ==================

DIRECTLY IMPORTED FROM JAPAN W/60K MILES.

JDM MAZDA RX-7 TWIN TURBO 13BTT PARTS CAR RHD AUTOMATIC ENGINE/TRANSMISSION!

CAR IS IN GOOD RUNNING/DRIVING CONDITION!

WARRANTY "AS IS" ON USED PARTS CAR. NO WARRANTY ON LABOR/EXPENSES/SHIPPING.

****PLEASE PROVIDE A PHONE # TO REACH FOR SHIPPING*****

*****CALL FOR SHIPPING QUOTES*****

*****ACTUAL PICTURE SHOWN*****

*****PLEASE CALL US FOR MORE JDM IMPORTED ENGINES/TRANSMISSIONS OR ANY INQUIRIES. THANKS*****

WWW.JDMENGINESINC.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select a picture
Enlarge this picture

Enlarge this picture

FREE Counters and Services from Andale

Shipping and payment details
Services available
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details.
Will ship to United States
Save on shipping now! - Buy more from this seller

Payment methods accepted

Money order/Cashiers check

Ready to bid or buy? help

JDM MAZDA RX-7 1.3 TWIN TURBO PARTS CAR - 13BTT

Place a Bid
Buy It Now

Starting bid: US $8,000.00
Your maximum bid: US $
(Enter US $8,000.00 or more)

You will confirm in the next step.

eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid.
Learn about bidding.
price: US $8,000.00
You will confirm in the next step.

Purchase this item now without bidding.
Learn about Buy It Now.

What else can you do?
Back to list of items | Ask seller a question | Add to Calendar | Email this item to a friend | Printer friendly page

Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.Home Browse Sell Enthusiasts Search Services Help
Copyright © 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

D3rELiC
12-15-2004, 06:48 AM
you know, a link would have done the same thing..

Add your comment to this topic!