Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

White primer

willimo
04-14-2004, 02:07 PM
The only white primer I know of is Testor's enamel. Otherwise, I can't find white primer anywhere, and I am reluctant to use the Testor's paint since I am going to be spraying automotive lacquer over it mixed with what seems to be a pretty hot lacquer thinner. And please don't tell me Gunze and Tamiya make good ones, because I won't have time to wait for them to come in the mail.

ZoomZoomMX-5
04-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Pep Boys has their Varsity sandable lacquer primer in white, black, gray, and red oxide. It's pretty decent, though it's certainly not Tamiya. There may be other automotive brands available in white spray bombs as well, but I've actually used the Varsity stuff. It sands quite nicely.

Floquil figure primer in white is also good. I've seen it at hobby shops, it's lacquer based.

Renegade
04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
friends of mine are 'making' white primer. They use ordinary let's say Testors primer and mix some of the white paint. They say it works fine.
Didn't tried it myself though ... :smile:

jswillmon
04-14-2004, 02:33 PM
I use duplicolor white sandable primer. works great.

willimo
04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks Zoomzoom, I was at Pepboys today looking, and I'd never used or heard of Varsity so I let the stuff sit. I didn't want to get something that was garbage, and the cans look admittedly... not great.

jswillmon - I couldn't find Duplicolor primer at all, especially not white. What shops carry that line?

ImolaEK
04-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks Zoomzoom, I was at Pepboys today looking, and I'd never used or heard of Varsity so I let the stuff sit. I didn't want to get something that was garbage, and the cans look admittedly... not great.

jswillmon - I couldn't find Duplicolor primer at all, especially not white. What shops carry that line?

Auto Zone and Walmart have alot of Dupli Color

jswillmon
04-14-2004, 03:29 PM
i found mine at autozone and advanced auto parts.

Add your comment to this topic!