Tow Damage

oruiz
04-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I recently had my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee towed by the city.
After picking it up I've come to find out that it had alot of expensive damage. I had to replace the transfer case and left front hub and bearing assembly. I'm planning on taking the tow company to small claims court and wanted to know if anyone has experienced this same dilemma and has any info that would help.

Heres what I do know:
It was lifted from the rear using dollies ( not witha flat bed tow truck)

p.s. does anyone know how dollies are installed?

Any info would be appreciated.
O.R.

MagicRat
04-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Tow dollies are just two bars that slide under the front or rear Jeep tires, on either side, when the tires are on the ground. They are then rotated with a long bar. This rotation causes four small trailer type tires to move downwards, contact the pavement and push the bars up, taking the Jeep tires with them.

When used properly, the Jeep tires never need to turn at all. It is possible, although remote, that the dollies were not raised properly, allowing the Jeep tires to hit the ground and start to spin.
However, this would only damage your transfer case if the Jeep was in 4 wheel drive mode OR the towing company lied and towed it with the front in the air OR never used dollies at all.
Some drivers are lazy and will not use dollies at first, hoping that its in 2wd mode.
Still, maybe phone around and ask some other tow truck drivers. Some hate to tow 4wd vehicles just for this liability/damage reason.
Pay a mechanic to go to court and testify for you, regarding the possibility for tow damage.

Dsilver
04-15-2004, 12:51 AM
:iagree:
You should definitely look into that but I would say it's gonna be tough to get the city to pay for your repairs, they always have sneaky b.s. ways of getting out of paying for stuff.

:2cents:

dksob81
09-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Take the tow company to Small claims, they messed up on towing it, on any 4WD models vehicle they are required to disable the shift linkage for the transfer case. so they can shift into nuetral. so they don't have these problems messing up peoples vehicles. I would deffinately talk to an attorney about some info on this. they are deffinately at fault.

ChadEbert
09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
If the city towed it, they had just cause and reason to tow it. When they tow like that, they have no inherient liability and you are responsible for all damage to the car. The price you pay for being negligent and having the city tow you. Suck it up, buttercup.

ByronP
09-16-2004, 06:02 PM
You can't tow a Jeep with the Full Time 4wd unless all the wheels turn at the same speed(ie. it has to be on a flat bed). This is what caused your t-case to fail and my guess is when it did the resulting damage also caused the hub bearing damage. Don't fall for their BS. Tow companies know what vehicles can and can't be towed via dollies. I wish you luck.
ByronP

ChadEbert
09-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Of course they know, if he had contacted them himself to have it towed to the shop, it'd be a different story. In this case, the *CITY* towed the truck, therefore the driver didn't give a rat's ass what damage was caused to the vehicle, he was just out for the grab and to make his buck. This dude lives two cities up from me and in OC, the cities are lethal when it comes to towing, they just don't care. All they need is cause and the car is gone. He can try to sue them, but by parking as he did (illegally) he assumed all responsibility for damages insued to the vehicle for his carelessness and negligence. It's very unfortunate it happened, but its also a wake up call to read street signs and know what's up. It's also referred to as responsibility and accountibility.

ByronP
09-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately for Oruiz, you are probably right. Unless you are a high roller in the city your odds aren't good. But hey what do you have to lose? I don't remember what it costs to file.
ByronP

jeeper61
09-17-2004, 06:35 PM
he probly has the jeep back and fixed bynow cause he posted this back in april

ChadEbert
09-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Didn't even notice that, how are all these old posts being dredged up?

msrjeep
09-17-2004, 09:56 PM
dksob81 needs a hobby, apparently. his bordem is infecting our board. lol

ChadEbert
09-18-2004, 12:33 AM
We can nominate him for archive digger upper....hmm? Can I get a second?

dksob81
09-18-2004, 02:48 AM
well these post are also good for other people to use as reference, if someone has a problem they come here to look if someone else has had that problem and find the answer, it's not just for the person writing the Question. if u would have answered them when they were posted. people would have a better place to start for getting there problem resolved.
ex. someone comes here to witha problem they search thru the forum and c that someone else has had that problem and sees no reply. thinking no one knows what the problem is, causing them to go to the dealer or mechanic to have it looked at to pay an arm and a leg.

and I just started coming here a week or so ago and didn't even notice how old they were, but still to put an answer down for futher uers.

and YES, I am bored.....lol

dksob81
09-18-2004, 02:51 AM
and I am also looking back thru them, to see what further problems I can be looking forward to, and get the answer right away.

ChadEbert
09-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Can see both sides of the deal, now I'll just read the date of the original thread before I respond to anything. No need to waste my time responding to something thats 6 months old or older. I like keeping the first few pages fresh and recent, the old crap just clogs it up.

msrjeep
09-18-2004, 01:46 PM
it's really annoying actually

Add your comment to this topic!