Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'89 Regal died - won't start

Dorifto_Tuning
04-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Hey all ... I've got some problems with my '89 Regal 2.8L. Last week, the fuel gauge stuck and I ran out of fuel - since then I've added about 5 gallons to the tank but it cranks and won't start now. I don't have a manual for the car, so any hints and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

autoforum
04-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Well, I can only tell you what happened with my 2000 Impala. It was brand new and I just had to know how much fuel was left when the low fuel light came on. It's ideas like that that make me a genius with a capital J. Well, the car didn't like that and burned up the fuel pump. Fortunately it was still under warranty, but the Chevy service department warned me never to run out of gas. The Regal is also a GM vehicle and there are many other similarities, so there is a good chance you have the same problem. Why don't you buy a Haynes manual which shows you how to depressurize the fuel system; then you can disconnect the fuel filter and have someone try to start the car while you hold the fuel line in a large coffee can to check for good and steady flow, and don't forget to put out your cigarette first.

Dorifto_Tuning
04-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I know for a fact that the engine is getting fuel, because I can smell raw fuel when I try to start it. Perhaps it is something with the ignition (maybe I should have mentioned that ...). I think I'll have to browse through a manual at the local AutoZone...

gmcarguy
04-21-2004, 11:32 PM
check your ignition module. Coil pack Coil Pack Coil pack.

Dorifto_Tuning
04-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Checked the ignition module ... it sparks - not well though - I'm thinking it's something to do with the computer. I think ... Anyone want a 1989 Buick Regal Custom 2.8L ?

Ragtop_Renegade
04-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Sure, I'll park it in the driveway next to my 92 regal. Then my wife will kill me for bringing home another car.
Maybe we'd better save my life and try a little harder to fix it. Are there any stored trouble codes? a bad MAP sensor or Coolant temp sensor can flood the engine so bad it won't start...

Dorifto_Tuning
04-28-2004, 08:34 AM
I haven't found any trouble codes - I didn't know a coolant temp sensor could kill an engine. I would like to keep the car around to work on it, but I've got no room to keep it. It's a lot easier to sell it so I can buy a new engine for my '85 Citation ... I also have an '88 Pontiac that needs an engine rebuild. All this sitting in front of the house or in the driveway with 2 boats is impossible. Anyone who wants it, feel free to email me at dorifto_tuning@Hotmail.com - I'll send pics if you want.

Dorifto_Tuning
04-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Also, I should mention that I don't have the title - I believe the state of North Carolina has it. But I'm not sure ...

XxPurpleHazexX
06-14-2004, 05:20 PM
2dr coupe limted right? I could use it for scaps.

93rgeal87gn
08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
i kno whats wrong! your fuel pump took a crap.... take the air cleaner off and spray starting fluid into the intake and try to start it... bet it starts! mine did the same exact thing on a hill ran out of gas put gas in it wouldent fire! tank is in the middle of the car 2 straps hold it up eassy to remove and replace fuel pump!

Add your comment to this topic!