Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ok Another GC setup question...

OG20
01-11-2002, 02:20 AM
Hi I just bought a set of GC's 350front/250rear sounds typical but I made them all 7" springs all around. I noticed that people with the 8inchers up front still have a pretty big gap even at the lowest setting thats why I opted with the 7's. I haven't installed them yet but they'll be set up with a set of AGX's. I also have a pair of 8" 250's and a pair of 7" 325's. Here's my question. Should I run the 350/250 or swap the front springs and run 325/250? I noticed some people complaining about the jiggling with the stiffness of the 340's. I'm currently running crappy intrax springs that have sagged to tuck my front wheels. I changed the bumpstops to progressive foams and that helped tremendosly. So any thing else would be much better. I noticed that people who went from stock to intax to GC's are all satisfied but the ones that go from stock to GC's are slightly concerned about "jiggling". I was just curious on everyones opinion on which springs should I use. My goal height is to have about a finger or flush up front and a finger or two in the back. You guys are quite experienced with these coilovers so please be technical and list some pros and cons.

P10DET
01-11-2002, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by OG20
Hi I just bought a set of GC's 350front/250rear sounds typical but I made them all 7" springs all around. I noticed that people with the 8inchers up front still have a pretty big gap even at the lowest setting thats why I opted with the 7's.
<snip>
My goal height is to have about a finger or flush up front and a finger or two in the back. You guys are quite experienced with these coilovers so please be technical and list some pros and cons.

Well, that's odd because I have7" springs up front absolutely as high as they will go, but still only have the gap you specify.

I personally would try the 325 springs up front first. The jiggliness comes from the dampers not totally controlling the spring oscillations. You can get it damned close, but I didn't like the 340s. I might have been able to get it better with more dinking around with damper settings, but I like the 275 s much much better. I just need to get the Koni bumpstops.

OG20
01-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Any other opinions?

I was also wondering how people are gauging the spring rate ratios front and back and how this might affect my steering (ei. oversteering or understeering) thanks, cel

JustinP10
01-12-2002, 10:17 AM
I bought my GC's in a group deal about a year and a half ago, and that's the recommended setup by GC, and also a good friend of mine. He was the one that prototyped the GC setup on a P10, and i guess they found that spring rate to be the best? After riding in his car, i decided to go with the same setup, as i was very happy with both the ride and the handling.

Also, Geo, with a 7" spring, when the suspension is fully compressed, is there any coil-bind? (I think that's the correct term for it?) Also, is it correct to assume that an equal spring to mine (8"), but in an inch shorter size (7") would just move the spring perch up 1" (i'm sure it'll vary a little bit), or are there other factors that would afffect how far the spring perch would need to be moved to get an equal ride height? Thanks

OG20
01-13-2002, 09:40 PM
SO justinG20 you're suggesting the 350/250 setup right? Or do you think I can pull off the 325/250 setup? What agx settings are you using with your 340/250's?

JustinP10
01-13-2002, 11:24 PM
I am currently running 2/2 on my agx's. Between the two setups, it would depend on how low you want to go?
As for the difference between the two setups, do you think you would really notice 15lbs? I know for certain the 340/250 setup is a very neutral, nice setup on a G, so I'd recommend it, but if your looking to go softer, i'd probably go softer on both ends of the car, and not just the front. But i'm not sure where to start looking (as far as spring rates) if you want softer springs. And the biggest factor would be how low you want to go..... that ultimately determines the optimal spring rate.

Add your comment to this topic!