97 Pontiac Bonneville with shaking in the front end.

fritcr
04-13-2004, 05:21 PM
My wifes Bonnie has a shaking in the front end and no one can seem to figure out why. When we bought it the guy said it had near new tires and they did look new. Of course when I test drove it was in a rural area and I couldn't tell it was shaking. When I bought it and drove home on the freeway then I noticed it. I just thought the tires needed balenced. I took it in and they said they were out of balence. Went home. Same thing. ...ok since then...I have had the tires balenced like 4 times...then a new (brand new set of tires) put on and balanced and the front end alighned. Same shaking. They swear my wheels are not bent and nothing is loose in the front end. I also have taken it to 3 different tire shops since the new set of tires and they always balence the tires...say they were out of balence and drive off and it does the same thing. It is in the front end...you can feel it in the steering wheel. It is not real bad but very annoying. The car rides so good and is so quiet then it starts to shake about 65-75. It kind of had fits...or waves of shaking. It make the hood vibrate too. Don't seem to matter if the wheels/tires are on the front or back. At least it didn't on the other set of tires. I have not rotated this yet as they are new. Does anyone have any ideas of what we can do to fix this. We have spent no telling how much trying find out what is wrong with it including 4 new tires that it most certianly did not need.
Thanks for reading my very long post,
Rob

markwb
04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
fritcr, Could the CV joints be worn excessively? How many miles on the car? Assuming it is not the tires or balancing that is at fault leaves the drivetrain, suspension etc. to be a potential source of problems. You're hitting some type of critical frequency there at 65-75 miles per hr. Something is out of balance and does not appear to be the wheels/tires. That's my .02.

fritcr
04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Well the car has 97k on it but it is just tight as can be. I have had the front end all checked out for wear and they say it is fine. It never clicks when I turn. I even took it to a large mall parking lot and cut slow circles with it both ways in drive and reverse and I can't hear a thing. I have looked the boots they are all fine. Not cracked or broken. Someone told me it could be the transmission but how would you tell or where should I take it to see what is going on. I have had so many places look at it that I'm at a loss. I had the tie rod ends checked and they are fine. Struts seem fine but it might need new ones...could that make it shake like that? It is really making me mad.
Rob

05-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Having this problem with our 2000 Bonneville SE.Constant shaking at 50mph, and same problem at 70-75.Replaced half shafts (cv joints) and one worn tie rod. Helped(lessened) the problem but didn't cure it.Very frustrating! Wondering if this is an internal problem in tranny? May have to find new home for our Bonneville.

peterson96
06-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I and my friend both had 96 SEs with shaking front ends.....mine still shakes 60-75mph, his doesn't. What changed? He had his disc brakes replaced and they surfaced the rotor!
Fortunately, mine shaking isn't soooo bad, so I've been living with it. My friend, however, found the fix.

bridget36907
06-22-2004, 01:46 PM
EXACTLY..It could be you front rotors..that's what my problem was in my 94 bonnie..!

Fred9999
07-16-2004, 10:58 PM
I am having the same issue with my 1999 bonneville SLE, I had 3 sets ov new tires on the car, and checked out by the GM dealer extensively, balanced now more than 8 time over the last year. Thanks to Michelin the tires were under warrantty, prorated.

After all of this my car will go into the GM dealer. There is a Tech publication that we found and agreed to do: it references several models of GM cars, 2000 bonneville is on the list. But other earlier GM models that use the same tire size and have the same front end.

The issue relates to vibration in the steering wheel that can be felt even on the floor of the car. between est. 50 and 72 mph.

It references the replacement of teh lower control arms. there is an issue with the bushings, they allow the control arm to vibrate. the new control arms have a new dampening type bushing that ???? should resolve this. Let me hope this helps, I will find out for myself on Friday.

fritcr
07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the post. Let me know if that fixes the problem. I have new rotors to put on mine but have not got them on it yet.
Rob

fritcr
10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
I still have a shaking front end and it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any more ideas? I'm having this set of tires rotate for the first time today. They have 4,000k miles on them. I told the tire place to balence all fo them again and see if they can find anything wrong. Did the lower control arms fix the problem???
Rob

G-bonnedude
10-13-2004, 12:43 AM
When I first purchased my Bonne' with 57,000 miles on it, the car had a slight shake/vibration at different speeds. It was definitly most noticed on the highway, and seemed to grow slightly worse in a short amount of time. The fix was relativly simple after thorough trouble shooting. My rotors were warped so I purchased better-than-average drilled rotors that won't overheat and warp. City driving can be a pain to brakes and rotors. I would still check that linkage and make sure there isn't too much play in it. The only other thing I can think of is that whatever is causing the vibration is causing it the entire time you're driving the car. The reason its only noticable at 65-75 is due to the vibration hitting a certain frequency that causes the problem to multiply only at that frequency. I'm going to look into even further for you, and get back to you after Tues. next week.

Add your comment to this topic!