Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Sluge

sbvaughn
04-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Engine Sludge - Dealer told me the previous owner did not change oil at proper interval and the engine is full of sludge - Lexus Will replace engine/ required parts under extended warranty - Anyone heard of this before. :
The dealer said if oil is changed as specified in Owner's guilde 7500 max then with this engine because it runs normally warmer than others - the oil breaks down. If it is changed from 3000 - 5000 max then it will not break down. The dealer said Lexus would replace the engine once but not again. The engine has 66,000 mile.
Has anyone heard of such stuff.....

lodownlv
04-23-2004, 06:23 AM
well if ya dont change the oil it will go to sludge. they prob not bull shttin ya ya probly blew a ring or bent a rod for not changin oil. and this is a senthetic only engine and iridum spark plug only engine people! dont mess with it if u dont know what your doin

mruwka
04-24-2004, 05:07 PM
what year is your RX....
There was a time where Lexus had a bad design on their valve covers and the engine did not breath like it should .....so it created sludge no matter if the oil was replaced on time or not.......when i worked there the 3.0l V6 is what your RX has... engines were replced left and right.......look in to this if you send me you vin # and year i may help you......sill have some friends back at home

Before you purchase any RX300 form mid 90s to late 90s.....have an independent tech take off the front valve cover and see if there is sludge in it......if its clean then your fine, but if there is then someone wants to pull a fast one on you....

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

lodownlv
04-25-2004, 03:45 AM
was the valve cover ditterating on these years... dosnt matter i got a 01 just wondering..

mruwka
04-25-2004, 03:03 PM
no it was the shape of it, i believe?! that’s what i was told, remember that there is a blow by system on your engine to evacuate all of the acid fumes form combustion and oil reaching its flash point... that develop in your engine while its running.

mruwka
04-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Im talking about the PVC system, i guess the design on the valve cover design did not ventilate the engine that well.....

lodownlv
04-25-2004, 03:15 PM
thats understandable.. by the way i ment 02 will it affect these models and what exactialy should i check for?

mruwka
04-25-2004, 03:45 PM
I you take off your front valve cover.....look at the condition of the oil which is pooling around your valves...if there’s any kind of indication of sludge forming alert your dealership....it should be covered by the warranty......and it shouldn’t take them more then an hour to check...but don’t tell them that you checked it your self.....or they'll give you a hard time about it...

Add your comment to this topic!