Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car doesnt always start WTF?!

Rob Tahan
04-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I just bought a car and sometimes it decides to start and sometimes it doesnt. It always sounds like its about to fully start but never does. In other words its not just a clicking sound or what would normally be a battery or starter problem. Does anyone have that problem or know what it may be? Its a 1996 accord lx

hondaokie
04-12-2004, 04:09 PM
I have that same problem with my 91 accord. It's like it has a mind of it's own, sometimes it'll start and sometimes it won't. I've had mechanics look at it and they can't find anything wrong. It's really weird.

Rob Tahan
04-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Let me know once you find out and I'll do the same if i find out as well. It pisses me off! I would rather it not start at all than do that bs. Has your car ever been in an accident? I hope someone else on this forum will know what it could be and has fixed the same type of problem.

hunterr83
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
One time I went to school with my Acura Legend. Came back in the afternoon to go home, car wouldn't start. Had somebody hook up his battery to mine, still wouldn't start. It sounded like it was going to start, but the damn thing wouldn't fire up. You know what I mean? So I left it overnight. Came back the next afternoon after school and tried again, it started up. Same thing happened a month later. Left it overnight, it worked fine the next afternoon. Had the mechanic look at it, he couldn't find anything wrong. At this point, the car would start up 95% of the time. The other 5%, it just wouldn't start unless I left the car sitting overnight. It was as if a battery needed recharging and that it only had enough fluid to fire up the car if I left it sitting for hours before trying to start it up. Mechanic took a look at the car one final time and replaced some battery in the car. I don't know what battery this was, but apparently this was the cause of all the problems the car was having. Never had a problem starting up the car afterwards. So all I remember was that he had to replace some battery. Apparently, that big battery under the hood isn't the only battery my Acura Legend had.

schmitey
04-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Could be a solenoid (sp?) problem. Your starter can be good, but if the solenoid is bad or intermitent you won't get jack for power to it. The solenoid is the brains of the operation. Obviously you don't want 700+ amps running through your ignition switch (at the key). Instead when you turn the key it makes the solenoid do its thing and send power to the starter. If the solenoid or your ignition switch is going bad it could cause intermittent startup, I've seen that happen on a good starter where it wasn't kicking out or anything

I know on the older Civics they recalled some of the ignition switches. From what my buddy tells me apparently some people had their cars die on them due to the switch shorting out (not cool if you're in an intersection). Could be you're running into the same thing, although I'd bet on the solenoid. I know it is possible to diagnose them, couldn't tell you how its done.

Also depending on how your starter is set up the solenoid may either be attached to the starter itself or hanging in the engine compartment. I just got my Honda so I'm not sure how they have it set up. If its on the starter I believe you have to replace the whole thing, but don't take my word for it.

schmitey
04-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Ok I'm dumb! Just reread your first post and that doesn't sound like starter problems.

When it does start does it have full power? Might be you have a clogged fuel filter or water in the gas tank. Cheap and easy place to start, get some HEAT and consider changing the filters.

Rob Tahan
04-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Yes it has complete full power.

Crazed
04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Try changing the engine temp sensor, check if your computer sends out any codes.

Rob Tahan
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
what the heck is that? Is that a common problem for this car?

Crazed
04-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Its the sensor that tells the computer the temperature of the engine, then the computer decides the fuel mixture it should use if its bad it can send a a bad mixture for the temp and the fuel doesnt ignite. It a common problem for hondas. Hard to diagnose because alot of thing can cause the same thing. If it is the sensor the computer should blink or send that signal.

criddle20
04-27-2004, 01:57 PM
I just bought a car and sometimes it decides to start and sometimes it doesnt. It always sounds like its about to fully start but never does. In other words its not just a clicking sound or what would normally be a battery or starter problem. Does anyone have that problem or know what it may be? Its a 1996 accord lx

I have been having the same problem with my 1991 Ex. I replaced the "main relay" (aka the PGM FI relay if you have a Haynes Manual) and it has been going fine for a few weeks. You might look in to replacing that. My relay costs $45 at Auto Zone. 45 bucks to fix a starting reliability problem isn't that bad.

92lx
04-27-2004, 06:48 PM
main relay in heat.....or, check the distributor cap.

- Nathan

indmny453
05-04-2004, 02:41 PM
my 96 accord did the same thing even after changing several things. come to find out i replaced the bosch plugs with some new ones. then found out for some reason my car doesnt like them. i put some ngk's in it and it cured the problem. before it was fixed when it would try to start but wouldnt it made a really bad sound out of my short ram

indmny453
05-04-2004, 02:44 PM
if that doesnt work i would definatly think that it somewhere in the fireing system

jphabear
10-14-2004, 04:35 PM
hey guy with the nonstarting problem. the engine turns but it doesnt start. well if your car was out all day in the sun, its the fuel relay. pressure inside the car makes it shut down. turn the key until just the fan comes on and leave it there for like 2 or 3 minutes so that the fule pushes in. try it after. or you can just keep turning your key over and over again raelly fast and that works sometimes. let me know if it helps!

henrymv
10-14-2004, 04:38 PM
HAS anyone considered thinking about the MAIN RELAY under the steering column....the accords have an issue with start up especially if the interior has been hot.....The main relay should be repalced with a new one..Cost about $40 at an suto part store...more at the dealership

AccordCodger
10-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Well, yeah -- only 2 of the previous posts in this thread! :)

Add your comment to this topic!