Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch cable

PatrickG20
05-04-2001, 02:42 AM
Starting a couple months ago, I noticed that the clutch wasn't as smooth as it used to be. The pedal felt a bit stickier. Also, when I pushed in the clutch, there was a squeaking sound. I've been driving the car like this for several months now. It's just annoying and embarrassing when it keeps squeaking like that. Also, because the pedal is stickier, its harder to get a smooth start from a stop. Does this sound like a clutch cable in need of replacement, or is it something more complicated? Thanks.

primera man
05-04-2001, 04:54 AM
Had this problem a few years back, and i took the car back to the dealer as it was still under warranty.

Believe it or not, but all they done was squirt some CRC around the pedal area inside the car and it's never done it again since. Magic !!!:)

Dprotech
05-04-2001, 03:02 PM
I have the same problem ..clutch pedal feels crunchy. I checked my clutch fluid ..was good ..I am told its because my clutch has worn out ...in fact I know that now because its begun slipping on 1st. So I don't know when your last change was ..but I'd look into it.

I'll let you know if the clutch change helps

sproose-goose
05-13-2001, 02:55 PM
G20's have a hydralic clutch no cables just slave cylinders and the clutch is self adjusting :smoker:

ales
05-14-2001, 02:50 AM
Huh?

Are you talking about *all* G20-s? What about P10??? I am almost positive I have a cable?!!

thaa
05-16-2001, 03:06 PM
I've got something similar: like halfway thru when pushing the clutchpedal there is like a click-like sound (I can also feel it) which also sounds when releasing the clutch again. same problem as you??

can be VERY annoying at times...

by the way: its a '96 primera p10, pretty sure its cable, not hydralic..

sproose-goose
05-18-2001, 11:18 PM
yes i was talking about p-11s. even though I'm surprised that p-10 don't have an hydrolic clutch,my friends 1972 datsun 510 has an hydrolic clutch. nissan loves useing hydrolic clutches. they have used the same basic desighn for a long time.:bandit:

FlossinPrimera
06-30-2001, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I've had the same problem with a crunchy clutch pedal. I've had my clutch adjusted, but the crunchiness remains, so I don't think that it has to do with a worn clutch.

Just my .02

P10DET
06-30-2001, 07:22 AM
The P10 indeed does have a clutch cable. Most recent Nissans have used cables rather than hydraulic clutches.

Anyway, what you guys are experiencing is "clutch gritch." This is a well known and common problem. If you go to the SE-R mailing list home page and do a search on "clutch gritch" you will get a lot of messages.

There is no one problem however. Sometimes a cable replacement fixes it. This is not all that common that it does however. I have even heard of a couple of cars that had the clutch pedal pivots lubbed and fixed it.

But, most common is gunk in the pivot point for the clutch withdrawl lever inside the bellhousing. I have heard of people who have sprayed the outside of the pivot by the lever and it has fixed it, but only once. Usually it requires removal of the gearbox. The pivot points must be cleaned and lubbed.

Add your comment to this topic!