Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to make rear window defrosters?

Slo_Snipe
04-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Usually it comes with every kit on their rear windows, but my rear window modifications required the removal of original defrosters.

Any help about how to make uniform "scratch" lines on the window again is appreciated. Thank you.

flyonthewall
04-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Use masking tape as a guide and lightly score in lines with #11 blade.

MPWR
04-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Don't bother replacing the molded defroster lines! They're all way out of scale. If you look at a car parked from across a parking lot can you see the defroster? The little black lines are invisible from any distance. Many recently made cars have the defroster built into the glass so that the lines are almost completely nonexistant.

But if you decide you do need to replace them, the best way is to scribe them (not to imply its a good way, just the best way). You'll need a scriber and a hard, flexible scribing guide. An xacto knife might do, but a better solution is to make a scriber using the tip of a hand sewing needle in a pin vise. Get a hand sewing needle (not a pin, they're not sharp enough!), and cut the sharp end off, at a length of about 1/2 and inch. I use a dremel tool wit a cutoff wheel for this. Hold the cut-off needle tip in a pin vise- there, a ready made scribing tool. For a scribing guide, I'd use a narrow strip of thin plastic- say a 1/8" strip of 0.020" thick styrene. The outside edge of a fret of photoetched parts works well, also. Tape the guide in position on the window, leaving the edge of the guide you plan to scribe against uncovered with tape. Gently run the needle along the guide edge, running the needle tip along the window. Do this for one or two passes. Remove the guide, reposition, and tape down again, and scribe. Positioning the guide is crucial- if it's not parallel to other scribed lines, it will show when you're done! (What would be cool would be to do a diagonal pattern, instead of horizontal- or use a curved scribe guide instead of straight-or do a spider web! -but I'll leave that to you.) When it's done, rub it down with a polishing stick to eliminate any burrs from scribing, an then polish it with Tamiya rubbing compound or the like. Afterwards, clean any dust/polish compound out of the scribings with an old toothbrush and dish soap with water.

Reasons not to do it- Any mistakes you make (and you will almost definately make some!) are very difficult to fix on clear plastic! Not impossible, but I wouldn't want to have to.

Hmmm, maybe I should post this as a how-to....

Slo_Snipe
04-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Sure you should!

But Ive already done the defroster lines a day ago Ive read ur post...guess next time I should listen to more people before actually doing something.

Anyway, the lines are done. It was not too bad neither, because with them it looks more like that my custom made civic ek sedan actually came from a kit. (comparing the size of other box stock models, mine look really like them)

Afterall, thank you for everyone's advice.

Add your comment to this topic!