Rice rocket or American Muscle

ChibiSF
01-10-2002, 03:24 PM
I have around 7 thousand dollars to buy a recent used Japanese car, or a classic American Muscle Car. Being a new driver, the Japanese car with it's power steering, power brakes, ABS, airbags appeals to me. However, it just seems a helluva lot more appealing to drive around a classic Charger, Chevelle, Camaro, etc. than a Japanese rice burner.

I know I'm going to put another 7 - 10 thousand dollars into it after the purchase, so it would be either making the American Muscle Car into showroom condition (almost,) or tricking out the Japanese Car. It's really a choice, either having the sweet rumble of a V8 engine in classic American muscle, or watching the people's faces the next day in school, when the day before they got burned by a Nissan. I don't know what would satisfy me more.

What would be better overall?

Sentra Styling
01-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Well I was just looking at your present car and notice that you own a G20....Why not sink that money into that SR20DE motor you're hiding under that hood????

ChibiSF
01-13-2002, 09:16 AM
I love my G20. One major problem. It's an automatic. The automatic transmission just ruins it for the whole car. I'm really looking for a manual for three reasons: It goes faster than an automatic, it's more fuel efficient, and last by definately not least, my mom cannot drive stick-shift. ^^;

Sentra Styling
01-13-2002, 01:37 PM
I'd deffnetly try to get something with the Nissan SR20DE in it then....They are really a strong engine and they almost scream turbo and what not......You can get like a 91-94 Sentra SE-R or maybe even a Nissan NX2000,or still even find a manual G20.....I'm not saying this cuse I'm a Nissan fan but if you ask anyone with any knowledge of import racing or tuning and they'll tell ya the SR20DE is a strong motor...
Or you can even get something more or less in te lines of like a Honda CRX si or something....CRX's are really fun to drive and they haul ass as well.....

ChibiSF
01-13-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm actually thinking of selling the Infiniti to my friend, and then buying a 240SX model 95 - 98 with the money I got from selling it. Then trick out the 240SX, and swapping SR20DET engine into the car.

Sentra Styling
01-13-2002, 06:19 PM
That would actually be an excellent idea,,but the one thing that would worry me about that is the lack of people that actually know how to work on a DET in the states.....If you can find someone in your area or within traveling distance then I would say go for it 100%,but if not then check into it first......

ChibiSF
01-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Lucky me that less than two hours away from where I live, there is a mechanics shop that does SR20DET swaps. Including Nitrous injection, and Stage one, two, and three upgrades that can get it to 450 RWHP. Hot stuff. hehe.

GTStang
01-14-2002, 12:03 AM
I'd go with Americam Muscle you buy a 68' Camaro Z-28 and it will take a supercharger and nitrous just for a 200SX to keep up with you. Also if you did wish took make it faster your money will go a lot farther due to the fact that parts are cheaper for it and also you get more hp per part. Also you buy a car like that and drop $7000 in 5 years it will still be worth $7000 or more as long as you don't crash it. Can you say that bout n e Jap car NO!

ChibiSF
01-14-2002, 05:53 AM
It's true that it would be cheaper, and I actually like American Muscle cars more than Japanese Cars. The problem is that I am relatively a new driver, and power steering and power brakes aren't options. They are neccesities. It's a lot harder to find older cars with those options.

Sentra Styling
01-14-2002, 01:03 PM
If you have a shop that's close that know what they are doing on a SR20DET then I'd say all means go for it,they are very increadible engines and the tunning is endless......

GTStang
01-15-2002, 09:49 PM
I hear you on the power brakes and steering but I think if you really looked around you'd be surprised how many of these Classic American Muscle cars have already been upgraded to 4-wheel disc brakes and low- ratio power steering racks. Even if you can't find one with it done these parts are easy to buy and install

jettaIII
02-07-2002, 09:21 PM
I say go with an import, man. They are more reliable in the long run definitely. Although the classic cars are easier to work on yourself w/proper knowledge. And you can't go wrong with the SR20DET. It's right up there with the 4G63 (Eclipse) and 2JZ-GTE (TT Supra) engines well known for being insanely strong. Especially running fairly high boost w/ stock internals. And Japanese imports hold their value very well. My $.02.

ChibiSF
02-07-2002, 09:35 PM
I have decided to go with the 240sx, however I have found out that the SR20DET swap costs waaay too much. Just for a S13 Redtop SR20DET swap, it costs around 6000 dollars. That would get me around 205 horsepower. I have found another company that does bolt-on turbocharging of the KA24DE already found in the 240sx, which costs around 6000 dollars for stage III work. That would be maybe 350 or maybe even 400 horse to the wheels. Which would be better in the long run?

jettaIII
02-07-2002, 09:46 PM
mmmmm 400whp...:frog:
I guess in the long run reliablilty matters most. So maybe the KA24DE turboed and then strengthen the internals?

barryco
02-24-2002, 04:19 PM
I would go for american muscle. You could go for a really fast jap car, but with a budget the v8's are cool.

Let me explain... Turbo cars need top servicing and maintainance, and when they go wrong, OUCH!

V8 engines are pretty cheap to tune, sound amazing and are pretty unstressed and will be relaible.

Saying that I wouldn't mind a pulsar GTi-r ;)

THE4TH
03-03-2002, 01:14 AM
dude if you got 7k put it down on loan.....
with that you can sit yourself in a lot of things... and if you plan on putting 10k into it after you buy it then just use it to pay off and you'll have anything you want for 17-20k ......
and if you want to pay longer then you can really get something worth while...

Sentra Styling
03-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Sweet, going with a 240sx...You can get a sweet Silvia cnversion kit and you'd have a badass looking car...;)

THE4TH
03-08-2002, 03:16 AM
dude if a crx can smoke a viper.. that might help you choose...

Gonthrax
03-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by THE4TH
dude if a crx can smoke a viper.. that might help you choose...

AHh but how much money did it cost for that CRX to jump on the viper? And could the guy in the viper drive it? I've seen the Civic Vs. 550 and the guy in the 550 couldn't drive... But thats besides the point.

Me personaly, I prefer imports, but I also like old american cars. I'm not to happy with the looks of newer american cars. All in all, it comes down to personal taste. If you want an old Cuda (Drool :D ) or Charger or whathaveyou, go for it! If you want a 240SX, go for it! Personaly I love Nissans and if its in your pricerange, this is what I'd do with a 240.
Drop an RB20DET or perhaps even an RB25DET, get exhaust, downpipe, intake, boost controler, injectors, fuel pump, seals, filters, pulleys, Clutch and find a good boost setting :) Or you could replace the RB idea with the SR20DET, both VERY good engines... I just figure hey, if it works for the Skyline, it can work for me :D :D

I myself an looking for a good 93ish RX-7, although they require a few K in reliability mods they have great potential. But they are high mantenence cars so unless you are going to work on it yourself or are willing to learn, it can get expensive:( ALso finding one that runs the right boost pattern, doesn't have the 3k RPM stutter, has low miles, does leak any coolent and is actualy close to you.... That can be an undertaking :D

THE4TH
03-22-2002, 08:13 AM
well you can find an old crx for under a grand and then you can sink less than 50k into it and beat a viper... don't get me wrong i have all respect for a viper and whatnot but it's nice to know that some dick in a 4 cyl. crx can put him down

Ballistic
04-27-2002, 09:31 PM
With that much money you have hella options...If you want a 240sx i can recommend that you visit www.zilvia.net and broase their forums. I have just bought an S13 and will be swapping the engine out for something (dont know yet) and will be doing a S14a front end conversion for those evil looking headlights, and putting the ING front bumper on it. I am actually thinking about swapping in the tt supra engine into it, dropping the stroke down a bit and strive for a 10K plus redline. Trust me though you can do alot w/ that much money and a nissan! Don't get an american car if you want high performance and handling cause you just wont find it. The 240sx is one of the best handling cars ever made. very wise choice on your part!

BurninRich
05-04-2002, 10:51 PM
i have to agree withgtstang even if he likes rustangs.
many trans ams and camaros in 2nd gen form and up have power steering an brakes. disc brakes might be in the back but thats ok (burnout) and that stuff can be puton for less than your nissan engine turbo. the gratifacation of v-8 pleasure is like no other. ifyou can stand a new muscle go for an LS1 they be haulin majar ass!

ChibiSF
05-04-2002, 11:58 PM
I might consider instead of a 240SX and dropping a SR20DET, or turboing the KA24DE in it already, I wait and buy a 300zx Twin Turbo. I could buy a decent one for 12500, and drop in another 1500, and get 400 bhp. That's quick enough to eat everything on the road short of Z06 or Viper performance. Stock with 300 bhp it does 0 - 60 in the low fives. A 100 horsepower jump, I'm hoping, puts it to the high fours. And according to a Car And Driver test in 1993, the 300zx placed second out of six cars, including a Porsche 968, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, Toyota Supra TT, Cheverolet Corvette LT1, and a Mazda Rx-7 TT. With a top speed of 155 mph (stock, electronically limited,) that should be fast enough anyways.

BurninRich
05-05-2002, 12:19 AM
DO IT MAN!

banchi105
05-06-2002, 01:50 PM
sorry to see you went with a jap ;)
but if your having second thoughts
you might want check out some nice
454 camino's
dats kickin brother
dats kickin

:bandit:

THE4TH
05-10-2002, 10:44 PM
nice to see you went with a jap ..:)
when ya find one put up some pix.....

legacyturbo
07-17-2002, 11:54 PM
I think you should go for a 240Z and drop a small V8 in it it cost way less the a 300ZX or anything thats been mentioned and it should run 11 or 12's and you get the best of both world Jap import with American muscle.

THE4TH
07-19-2002, 03:28 AM
why not drop a v8 into a crx... the engine would weigh more than the car.. :)

ChibiSF
07-19-2002, 11:50 AM
heh. CRX. I'm not really into the CRX. I don't like hatchbacks that much, and it is front wheel drive. For me, it's all about Nissan. hehe.

THE4TH
07-27-2002, 10:25 PM
ok well you can get an s2000...
a rear wheel honda.. :D

SumBlinky
08-18-2002, 07:36 PM
:flipa: crotch rocket pussy :flipa:

swedish
08-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by legacyturbo
I think you should go for a 240Z and drop a small V8 in it it cost way less the a 300ZX or anything thats been mentioned and it should run 11 or 12's and you get the best of both world Jap import with American muscle.

this is probably the best idea for the money, but then again, thats crazy fast for a new driver.

THE4TH
09-09-2002, 05:18 AM
well although i've chimmed in on this post a few times i'll do it again..
i prefer the rice rocket bit.. not ricey though all my hondas are stock, give or take.. and they don't sound like a 1942 lawn mower
but there is no way at least on street apps that any import is gonna tangle with the likes of the old school pontiac gto.. or the camero, the nova, the chevelle, the vette, and all those..
the general lee.. :D
i mean come on , no one, i mean no one, is gonna waste the dukes of hazzard, in a toyota.. lol...

Dented200sx
09-15-2002, 12:25 AM
Grab the 240sx and GO, turbo the ka24, at 5 psi on stock internals your go from 135/140 hp to the wheels to almost 235/240 hp to the wheels. The use the extra money to get the internals fixed and good oil cooler kit setup before the turbo. make sure the shop uses a BYPASS valve and not a Blown Off valve. When you get the car back, take it easy a few hundred mile, go on a weekend rouad try 250 each direction, then strap in cause your going for a wild ride. Good Luck.

street_racer_00
09-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Dented200sx
Grab the 240sx and GO, turbo the ka24, at 5 psi on stock internals your go from 135/140 hp to the wheels to almost 235/240 hp to the wheels. The use the extra money to get the internals fixed and good oil cooler kit setup before the turbo. make sure the shop uses a BYPASS valve and not a Blown Off valve. When you get the car back, take it easy a few hundred mile, go on a weekend rouad try 250 each direction, then strap in cause your going for a wild ride. Good Luck.
Dear God no, doing anything to the ka24 is a waste of money. If you want to do something to a 240, drop in a japanese spec SR20DETT in that puppy. They are relatively cheap and relatively easy to get the swap, depending on where you live.

Dented200sx
09-15-2002, 01:00 AM
HAve you ever looked into mods for a KA24. i have talked too alot of shops run buy peeps doing this a lot longer that most of us young pups. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT, that 2.4L CAN be bored out to 2.5L and with a good set of pistons and rod take just as much beating as the SR20. The 2.4 will aways have more torque than the sr20. And depending on whether you want massive power or a quick punch the turbos is all that you have to change. With just a little help from aftermarket suppliers you would a a 4 banger hangen the the I-6's easy 800+HP the wheels.

THE4TH
09-15-2002, 01:16 AM
i don't know about you but i'm not gonna take my civic out to race my buddy with the 96 impala ss w/ over 850 hp... no thanx.

miniboi
10-15-2002, 01:59 AM
American Muscle= slow heavy sack of crap
Rice Rocket? = BYE BYE! can't catch this
EURO= wow i look hella nice plus, i'm pretty fast

man don't buy american car man, u just ending up with a heavy ass car. why is it called american muscle? cuz it's need those hundreds of horse power to drag it's fat ass across the damn finish line. I just bought a 2002 MINI COOPER S and raced a Camero SS and smoked it's ass. If u want a rice rocket, why don't u help urself to a WRX?!?!?!?!? that will desemate all! or if u got some cash to blow, why not a used m3 or a new one? or get a mini cooper! ha ha! yea it's hella sick, the best handling u'll ever get man. my future add ons will bea hamann body kit with race chip and exhaust. 220+ hp for a light ass car, not the fastest but it will beat a lot of cars. ne way have fun deciding, don't forget the euros!

ChibiSF
10-15-2002, 07:53 PM
lol. I might get a new car. Maybe. No. A 17 year old with a new car. My insurance is already stupidly expensive at 3000 dollars a year, and I'm driving a 140 bhp G20. It's stupid. I'm still saving for another car. Try to get myself a 95+ 240sx. Insurance on that won't bite my head off. Aslong as I don't tell them what I do to the car. If I got a 93+ Camaro Z28, which would be the "American Muscle," insurance would probably be upwards of 4000 to 5000 dollars a year. I might be able to afford that. hahahahahahahahaha. Same thing with a 300zx TT. Stupid insurance. EVIL!

YogsVR4
10-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by miniboi
American Muscle= slow heavy sack of crap
Rice Rocket? = BYE BYE! can't catch this
EURO= wow i look hella nice plus, i'm pretty fast

man don't buy american car man, u just ending up with a heavy ass car. why is it called american muscle? cuz it's need those hundreds of horse power to drag it's fat ass across the damn finish line. I just bought a 2002 MINI COOPER S and raced a Camero SS and smoked it's ass. If u want a rice rocket, why don't u help urself to a WRX?!?!?!?!? that will desemate all! or if u got some cash to blow, why not a used m3 or a new one? or get a mini cooper! ha ha! yea it's hella sick, the best handling u'll ever get man. my future add ons will bea hamann body kit with race chip and exhaust. 220+ hp for a light ass car, not the fastest but it will beat a lot of cars. ne way have fun deciding, don't forget the euros!

Sure a mini cooper smoked an SS. Grow up :rolleyes:

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Chris
10-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Class i salmost over, so didn't have enough time to read the whole thing.
I would go with a semi-mix. That is, 80's Camaros/Stangs scream REDNECK to me, thats just a stereotype.
Civics and the like scream RICER, and often Poser to me. Most of these I find to be absolute crap, so much money is wasted on them, IMO, for very little benefit.

I would go with an early 90's car. My suggestions: Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (300hp, RWD), Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT (320hp, AWD), Toyota Supra (320hp), Toyota MR2 Turbo (200hp, but midengined, and really fast/fun). So, they are japanese, but they are definately not ricers.

Also, to save some money, a 323GTX or 89 MR2 Supercharged are excellent values.

miniboi
10-17-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by YogsVR4

Sure a mini cooper smoked an SS. Grow up :rolleyes:

yes a mini cooper S beat a camero ss. think about it, it's only 2500 lbs, super charged, it's possible. yes the driver could have been shitty has fuck but we still beat it so :finger: and have a shitty day.

YogsVR4
10-17-2002, 09:25 AM

yes a mini cooper S beat a camero ss. think about it, it's only 2500 lbs, super charged, it's possible. yes the driver could have been shitty has fuck but we still beat it so :finger: and have a shitty day.

uh-uhuh sure... :rolleyes:

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

deadmeat521
10-17-2002, 01:25 PM

lets compare the 2
camaro ss: mini cooper s:
curb weight:3448 curb weight:2550
hp:320 hp:161
0 to 60:4.9 0 to 60:7.3
standing 1/4 mile:13.8 standing 1/4 mile:15.8

so the way i see it the only waya mini cooper s could beat a camaro ss is if the guy in the camaro was a sleep got those numbers for caranddriver.com :finger:

Chris
10-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Yes, the Mini, while very fun, could never beat a Camaro SS. Unless this was some 80's Camaro, with a clapped out motor.

And besides, the limited budget excludes the Mini.

miniboi
10-18-2002, 12:16 AM
yea i'm sorry guys i forgot to mention it was an older camero. my bad. but i also didn't mention that while racing we went on a sharp curve, and had an advantage with handling.
but hey, those times are wrong, those aren't time times for a cooper s, those are times for the regular cooper. ne way, i was wondering if anyone knows of a super charger with BOV. but my friend says i'll get sick of the BOV wut do u guys think?

deadmeat521
10-18-2002, 08:02 PM
i got those times from caranddriver.com on a mini cooper s the artical that was with it also said it had a supercharger on it

bdawg46
05-18-2003, 02:40 AM
i would get a cheap 240sx, spend no more than 2000, or try to find one for a thousand or less with a blown or no engine. get a job as a mechanic or find a friend who knows how to do a engine swap and get an RB25 ( r33 skyline engine) It runs somewhere around 3000 with shipping. with the right upgrades and tunning you could get this baby over 500whp easy. if u dont think it can be done just go to night7racing.com.

Add your comment to this topic!