Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Accord V6 cold tranny shifting

erduser
04-09-2004, 11:04 PM
This is one fine car and the tranny is very smooth after a mile or so. The very first 1-> 2 shift of a new day is rough, also the first few 2-> 3 shifts are also rough. After about a mile the tranny is smooth. Is this normal, is a fix available?

HONDA_99
04-10-2004, 09:45 AM
how many miles is on your car? it could be time to replace ATF (automatic transmission fluid)

Honda recomends to replace ATF somewhere between 15Kml and 30Kml.

V6GUNZ
04-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I have the same problem with my new 2004 V6 Accord Coupe, and i have less than 1k miles on it... 1st and 2nd tend to feel kinda rough when the car is not warmed up, and 2nd to 3rd also kinda rough, the only time it does not happen as often is when i actually downshift when slowing down rather than leaving it in neutral, if this crap persists im going to take it to the dealer for a frigging checkup, other than that its a great car.

HONDA_99
04-30-2004, 07:04 AM
that is not quite normal for 7gen accord. 7gen has temperature sensor in transmission that allow ECU to see if ATF isn't normal operating temperature it will back off trottle a little to make smother shifts.

6gen doesn't have this, so rougher shifts is normal when ATF isn't at operating temperature.

take your car to dealer for inspection.

erduser
05-01-2004, 12:01 PM
that is not quite normal for 7gen accord. 7gen has temperature sensor in transmission that allow ECU to see if ATF isn't normal operating temperature it will back off trottle a little to make smother shifts.

6gen doesn't have this, so rougher shifts is normal when ATF isn't at operating temperature.

take your car to dealer for inspection.

My dealer said that an engine mount device is controlled by engine temperature. When the engine reaches operating temperature, a valve opens allowing fluid to flow and change the stiffness of the mount. Until that happens, the shift/jerk will be noticeable. If this is true, what is the purpose of changing the stiffness of the mount in the first place?

djcrisp
05-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I've also notied this on the 7th gen accord coupe. However it is normal and clearly stated in the owners manual. I didn't know about the stiffening of the mounts though, that is interesting...why?

Add your comment to this topic!