Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Outback check engine code P1443

jbrusso
04-09-2004, 12:20 AM
I've got a 2000 Legacy Outback with 26,000 mile on it . I bought it and it needed the right rear quarter replaced, so I had it replaced and then got the car on the road. I put About 200 miles on it and then the check engine light comes on. I scanned it with my OBD II code scanner . It was storing the code P1443 which is for the fuel evaporation system. I researched it on the web and found their was a recall to reprogram the ECM so I checked with the dealer and they said the car had already been in for the recall. So I replaced the gas cap in case it was not sealing correctly. I replaced the evaporation charcoal canister and pump that is mounted above it under the right rear of the car and clear the codes out. The check engine light keeps coming back on about 50 miles down the road. I tried texico gas(dealer suggestion) still no luck. I replaced all the hoses on the rear evaporation canister incase there was a leaking one, no luck. The car idles at a low idle around 600 rpms. Another thing is when I remove the gas cap and refuel the car I replace the cap and then when I start the car it has a hard time starting back up, it fumbles like there is no fuel pressure, but it only does this when starting after refueling . I tried it with a tight gas cap , a loose cap, incase that had something to do with it but no luck. Can someone out there PLEASE HELP. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what fixed it. I really don't want to go to the dealer, they have a very bad reputation in my area for there guess and replace work. Please help. Thanks

LiuBei
06-22-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't know how to solve a question with such depth although you'll probably find some answers if you post this over at the site in my sig.

Add your comment to this topic!