Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thermostat..how to replace?

sxwk12
04-08-2004, 11:39 AM
My ex-wife's car (1996) has been overheating lately. She took it to the dealer today and they said the thermostat needs to be replaced. $17.00 for the part $190.00 to replace.

Does anyone have a how to on this? whtteg helped me last time when I replaced the ignition coil. Can you or anyone help me out with this? Also, how long should it take?

Sidney

KounT
04-08-2004, 09:11 PM
i have the same problem...i started to try and replace mine today but my car is well i guess worn out and it looks like the guy who had my car b4 me over tightened it so i can't get it loose and i rounded the screw...but anyways the thermostat should be located right behind the engine...look for a hose coming from the bottom of the radiator and goin towards the back of the engine..you should see an aluminum thing i guess idk how to describe it..but you take the hose off that and unscrew it and the thermostat should be right there and you take that out and put the new one in but be careful and watch carefully how you take the old thermostat out because if you put the new one in wrong it could break and then you have to go buy a new one..i'm not too sure about the part costing $17 but i could be wrong cause my dad bought it for me..go to discount auto parts and they should have it for cheaper maybe and the whole process shouldn't take more than 30-45 min...an hour max..and if i'm wrong about this...anybody please correct me

tran_nsx
04-09-2004, 01:46 AM
what kount said is pretty much it, but the labor though might be a bit longer since it will be your first time. just in case get a chilton to help u with ur guidance. the last time i change the thermostat was for a crx so im thinking the procedure should be very similar. one think i do remember was that on one side of the ur supposed to apply this blue colored compound to help it be attached to the engine (can't exactly recall what that was at the top of my head). another thing, once your done putting the antifreeze back in and test diving it around for the first couple of miles your car is going to run hot for a bit. i was freaken out when i saw this, but it should settle down and went back to normal. im thinking the thermostat needed a bit of time to get situated or the the compound need to settle.

sxwk12
04-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Okay, cool! I did it! Got it changed in about 20mins. But now there is an idle problem. It revs up and down by itself. My dad thinks its the throttle position sensor. Any suggestions? If it is the TPS, where can I find it and how do I change it?

Thanks for the help.

Sidney

KounT
04-09-2004, 09:58 AM
ummm around what rpms does it idle on cause after mine warms up it idles around 500-750 and it'll go up n down by itself i guess to keep it self running w/ all the radio and air goin n stuff..i just give it a little rev and it's all good but then again i'm not the car genius so there actually could be somethin wrong

sxwk12
04-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Nah, it's like going from 1000 - 3500 with nothing on.

Sidney

sxwk12
04-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I got it. One of the hoses wasn't on all the way.

Thanks!
Sidney

Add your comment to this topic!