Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need help with FREON!

sweetmisty
04-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone! I am new here. I have a 94 sse Pontiac Bonne v6 112,000 miles. I don't know what type of freon I have. The car has not been charged since 1994. It is starting to blow out warmer air. I have spoken with two different dealer ships and each gave me a different answer. One told me that r-12 was not used after 1992 the other told me 1994. So which is it, r-12 or r-134a?

Second, my Bonne has started to act really funny. I have had regular tune ups, oil changes and filter changes. She will stall at any speed: esp around corners. The check engine light just came on. Just before she stalls the oil guage and gas gauge will go all over the place. The battery and temp guage are all fine. Here's the thing. The check engine light came on once for 2 days. Then went away for a week after I got the oil changed. Now it is back. Oh gosh, this Bonne is killing me!

Thanks!
Misty

jkinney
04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
First,....Welcome Misty. Check the refrigerant label under your hood, (look on the pass side) it will tell you what your system has in it. I have a 94 SSEi, and it has 134a, and I would guess you have the same.
If it was the "check engine light", it comes on when the ignition is on.... but the car not running, the same as if it were running (going down the road) and dies......(ignition still on, but not running) it is different than the "Service Engine Soon" Light. Because of the stalling, take it to a parts store and have them scan it for you for codes (free of charge) Be sure they know that you probably have the OBD-I system (also on label under hood -"OBD-I COMPLIANT,"OBD-II COMPLIANT") but with a OBD-II connector (common for that year) it will depend on how many pins you have on your diagnostics connector (12 or 16), and where it's located. Your Ignition Module may be going out (which can be checked as well) could instead be the cam sensor, or crank sensor, but the codes will give you a better idea. Hope this doesnt scare ya. Good luck.

sweetmisty
04-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Thank you very much for your help! It is r-134a. Now I just have to make it to the parts store.

pntcbonnesse
04-11-2004, 10:34 AM
yea and just to let everyone know who reads this, atleast for the 1994 with the digital climate control is the r134a (SSE-SSEi) the SE I believe is still the r12

jkinney
04-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Point well taken, also remember that if any system is upgraded to R134a, a sticker is placed over the coolant info sticker showing the upgrade.

sweetmisty
04-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Another quick question:

Went to the auto parts store and got the freon and guages. Now can you tell me where the thing is located at. The guy at the auto parts store said it was on the left hand side. He said I should have the engine and the air running at the same time. He said it should go in at about 30 pounds and not exceed 50 pounds. He said there are only two knobs. And only one will fit the hose. I see the compressor. It has a solid tube with a nipple and a rubber hose with a nipple. Is this the right thing or am I just to blonde to get it? Thanks!

BonneMeMn
04-25-2004, 10:20 AM
My 93 with knob climate control is R12 from the factory, but it's been converted ;)

DOpey85
08-02-2004, 12:29 AM
I know my 93' se has r-134

Add your comment to this topic!