Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Lesabre should i buy?

Gauchoy2k
04-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Ok i have been shopping around for a GM(American Car) so i could use to drive to work 40 miles each way in heavy traffic 50% of the time. One of the cars i have been offered is a 98 Lesabre with 84000miles for $4200. I want some serious feed back from owners with this series car. Pro's and con's so i could make a decision.

tman
04-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Well, there are definatlymore pros than cons:

Pros-
3800 v6
cushy ride
comfortable seats
great fuel economy
good performance(it's no corvette!)

Cons-
Most ppl dont like buicks.

I say go for it!

eglosenger
05-29-2004, 05:45 PM
I bought my 98 LeSabre back in Dec. with 48k miles on it. I bought it fairly cheap and I was very happy. Although I have put more money into this car in repairs than for the life of any other car I owned. I have had to do the brakes, replace the garbage plastic intake manifold and then the fuel pressure regulator. Now, my HVAC blower motor has gone flaky, runs when it wants at what speed it wants. I replaced it yesterday with a brand new unit and it is dead. I have had enough of this car to last a lifetime, although I will have to keep it for quite some time. Run away from it as fast as you can if you haven't already bought it.

tman
05-29-2004, 10:21 PM
just cause your's had several problems, doesn't mean they all do. I assume he will take the car to a mechanic before purchasing it.

swipter
11-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Rack and pinion, transmission, front struts plastics intakes all replaced before 72K. I wouldn't buy one. I also have continual power window issues.

11-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I've heard about a lot of things breaking on the 2000 LeSabre. Specificially every single power window regulator and the tail lights filling with water. Though odds are, if the car has 84,000 on it, issues like those have already been corrected.

I know you're shopping for a 1998, but the 2000 is pretty near to that model. There were major changes in 1995 and 2000 to the LeSabre. I have a 1995 that I have put 175,000 miles on it, and never had any unusual maintenance problems with. I'm scared to buy another car because this on is such a work horse.

Right now I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pressure regulator. After replacing the spark plugs, I'm making about 23 MPG Highway which others here have said is rather low. Just replaced the vacuum lines, we'll see if that corrects the problem (as they were in pretty horrid shape).

I will say this for absolute certainty though. If someone offered me a 1998 LeSabre with 89,000 miles on it for $4200... I would almost certainly buy it without a second thought.

I love big roomie cars that haul butt and my 1995 has been a joy to own. Plus, if it ever broke down I'd have my 1995 to fall back on. I'll never sell or trade it in. It's survived two major wrecks and been keyed repeatedly, I wouldn't get $1000 for it. But it runs great, and that's what I care about. I'll get a pretty car when I have a garage.

Only con I can think of is T-mans comment that most people don't like Buicks. When you tell someone you have a Buick, they automatically think granny car. Which is fine b/c it will blow away whatever little POS import they are driving.

When people see my car, they automatically think it's a Pontiac Bonneville (which is is basically the exact same car as the LeSabre with less stuff). Personally, I take it as an insult.

For that reason, I'm probably going to buy a Park Avenue when I get a new car. The LeSabre is an H-body, same as a Pontiac Bonneville and Olds 88. The Park Avenue is a C-body, slightly different body, same as the Olds 98. (Plus, the Park Avenues seem to come with more... stuff standard.)

redly1
11-19-2004, 06:51 PM
eglo...
I will NEVER buy another GM vehicle with ~50K miles. Just like you, I've replaced brakes, tires, other wear items and all kinds of other crap on various Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Seems like once you get over 70K, the bugs and things have been mostly taken care of and you can drive cheaply until at least 120K-150k miles

srthompson
11-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Buicks are just one step below a Cadillac. They are superior in ride, handling, and performance. Buick is pretty much top of the line and if the car has a 3.8L (3800) engine (which is the greatest V-6 made for Buick for performance and mechanical excellence). I would say, if the car is in good mechanical condition and has a good appearance, I would say "GO FOR IT!" I have a 1988 Buick LeSabre Coupe that I paid $2,000 for, and it had 119,245 miles on it when I bought it. It now has just over 124,000 on it. I think you are getting an excellent bargain. Also, it may be worth while to get a VIN-Check/Lemon Check on it and see if there are any mechanical records, for additional insight, before you buy. Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!