Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto Dimming Mirrors

GMCWAYNE
04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Hello all! My name is Wayne, I'm new to this forum. I have a question about my new (to me) 01 Yukon. It has the auto dimming mirrors on it. Is everything supposed to look purple and double image in the side view mirror? This is very annoying to me and I'm curious to know if this is normal or not. Anyone else notice this?
Wayne

rzkz8k
04-06-2004, 09:13 AM
I get the tint but not the double images. I have self dimming mirrors on both my 04 YukonXL and my 01 Regal GSE.

Eggert
04-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Wayne, is your driver's side mirror auto dimming?
I just got a 2001 Yukon XL K2500 and is has a dimming rear view mirror, but the driver's one is not.
I am pretty sure that the passenger side never is dimming.
My tint is greenish when dimming.
Please let me know. Thanks, E.

GMCWAYNE
04-08-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty sure my driver's side mirror is auto dimming, that is the one that makes everything look purple and double. No, my passenger one is just a normal mirror. Eggert, what color is your truck? Mine's Indigo Blue.
Wayne

Eggert
04-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Wayne, I have a white 2001 Yukon XL 4WD, K2500.
The driver's side auto-dimming mirror is an option.
How about going to a dealer's lot and looking at a new Denali mirror?
I am sure that auto-dimming is standard there.
Is the double image a lot fainter than the real image?
Take care, Eggert.

sprague
04-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Wayne:
I had the same problem just after I purchased my '03 Denali. The dealer replaced it with a new one, and now it works great.

Bevl Hvn
10-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I'd like to be able to turn OFF the auto dimming feature on both my side AND rear view mirrors... How do I do it? I have an 03 Yukon

95ragtop
10-26-2004, 11:26 AM
GMC Wayne,
Your mirror sounds like it was somehow damaged. When damaged, the fluid in the mirror can leak out. Once oxygen gets to the fluid and power is supplied to dim it, it will turn to a purple/black. I'd guess that the glass was improperly installed to the motor back, which will cause distortion if not fully snapped in place, thus cracking or breaking the seal on the mirror causing the fluid inside to degrade. You'll need a new mirror.

Bevl,
You can turn you dimming feature off at the mirror by holding the button farthest to the left for approx 3-6 seconds. The green LED to the left of the button will turn off when the dimming feature is turned off. The feature will turn back on automatically with each ignition cycle because too many people were accidentally turning it off and didn't know how to turn it back on. Why would you want to turn if off in the first place?

tonytone
10-26-2004, 02:55 PM
...Why would you want to turn if off in the first place?
A cornercase scenario could be if one had tinted windows all around; I could be wrong, but I think the light sensors can still pick up enough light even with a fairly-dark tint so as to autodim the mirrors...plus I think--and I could be wrong here too--the autodim isn't variable, i.e. it's either completely dim or not dim at all.

Bevl Hvn
10-26-2004, 05:17 PM
hey 95ragtop

call me old fashioned, but I don;t really like the auto dim - i didn;t have the feature on my last truck or 20+ years, and I NEVER tilted the rear view mirror for the night time reduce the glare thing.... This is why i don;t like it now. I can;t really see what is behind me, just that there are some lights but I don;t know for what. And yes i have tinted my driver windows but only the lightest shade so they are legal here in kali-for-nee-ah. I'll look for the buttons described on the left.... but i do know there are lots of buttons and swithes on the left so I guess it would help to know exactly which button to hold down. i have an SLT model with all the bells and whistles added on.

zutoo
10-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Bevl-

The button 95ragtop is refering to is located on the rearview mirror. It is the left button on the mirror and it has a power symbol on it. If you have your owners manual see pages 2-31+ for more information.

SMarchant
10-30-2004, 05:59 PM
I read in a maintenance bulletin that the heating element in the driver's side mirror damages the auto-dimming glass and makes double images appear at night. The bulletin stated that the only way to fix it was through replacement of the mirror glass. a few hundred$ from the dealer.

Scott

pbsfolks
10-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Ive got the auto dimming rear view and drivers side mirror on my 2001 SLT. No double images yet, but its nice to know what I can expect if I use my mirror heaters :screwy:

SMarchant
10-31-2004, 04:43 PM
yeah, if the bulletin is correct, it might be a bad idea to use the mirror heat which comes on when you use the rear window defrost. I changed my mirror out once already and i know that there are two wires on the back of the mirror glass that are for the heating element, i was thinking that i might disconnect one or both of the heater element wires so that i can still use my rear window defroster and passenger side mirror heater without my driver's mirror being damaged. at least until i find a better fix. I noticed in another thread that somebody noticed that their driver's side mirror gets a lot hotter than the pass side mirror, perhaps GM will put out a repair bulletin to fix some kind of wiring problem eventually. i don't know but i really like the chromatic dimming feature on the huge driver's side mirror so if it is the heat that is damaging it i will unplug the heating element.

Scott

GdubMc
11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
I've got a 04' slt and I haven't noticed the driver's side mirror dim at all, it heats up though. My rear-view dims. do you need the turn signal mirrors for dimming?

GdubMc
11-03-2004, 10:45 PM
hey 95ragtop

. And yes i have tinted my driver windows but only the lightest shade so they are legal here in kali-for-nee-ah.

Isn't any shade tint on driver's or front passenger side window illegal in Cali?

tonytone
11-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Isn't any shade tint on driver's or front passenger side window illegal in Cali?
Only if it's no less than 70% (IIRC--I forget the exact number but I believe 70 is the correct figure)...essentially, colorless tint.

Eggert
11-07-2004, 07:20 PM
GdubMc,
you are right about the mirrors. It seems that you do not have the puddle lamps?
SLT-1SC:
Mirrors, outside rearview, power adjustable, foldaway, heated, color-keyed
SLT-1SD:
Mirrors, outside rearview, power folding, power adjustable, heated, color-keyed, driver side electrochromic (light-sensitive auto dimming), turn signal in glass, with ground illumination and curb-tilt (DL3)

My 01 Yukon XL 2500 SLE 1SB (the cheapest version with cloth seats) has the dimming rear view mirror, but my side mirrors only have heat and the puddle lights. My driver's side DOES have the wire for dimming in the connector in the door, the passenger side does NOT. Pop both door trims and see on the driver's side, if you have a wire that does not appear on the mirror side of the plug. You may/may not also have the wiring for the puddle lamps and curb-tilt, so check both sides for that. Depending on what you have, you could replace the mirror with an auto dimming one, with or without the blinker in the glass. It is quite simple. Please post if you do add the mirrors with the blinkers and you do not have the blinker wiring. I did that with my retrofitted camper mirrors and have info on what wires on one of those multiplug connectors under the dash to tap.
It is on the web somewhere. Take care, Eggert Johnson :bananasmi

terrence perry
03-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I Called The Dealer And They Want Almost $500. I've Been Looking All Over. It's The One With The Turn Signal On The End Of It And It Manual Turns In. This Is For An 04 Denali

eljones247
03-29-2005, 04:13 PM
I had a 99 Tahoe both mirrors dimed. They worked good and never looked discolored.

I now have a 02 Yukon XL SLT fully loaded. The Drivers side mirrior is self dimming and works just fine. The passanger side does not. Did they do away with passenger side dimming or is mine not working?? You figure for nearly $50k I guy could get both mirrors to dim...

eljones247
03-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I'd like to be able to turn OFF the auto dimming feature on both my side AND rear view mirrors... How do I do it? I have an 03 Yukon

I pull down the rear DVD screen. It blocks the light from reaching the sensor in the rear view mirror. None of the mirrors will dim. Mine has been upgraded to an 15", but i'm sure the stock one would do the same.

If you don't have the rear screen, try putting something right over the sensor like electrical tape or something.

Good Luck!

tonytone
03-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I can't speak as to whether or not the pre-03 NBS SUVs had passenger-side autodimming side mirrors, but I do know that '03+ have driver-side only (in addition to rearview) autodimming mirrors.

Also, I thought that the on/off button located on the autodimming rearview mirror also turns on/off the driver's-side autodimming mirror too? At least that's what my owner's manual implies--i.e., there is nothing in the manual that states that the driver's-side autodim can't be turned off, or that there is a separate autodim button/switch for the driver's-side mirror. I mean, I don't know of any US-spec vehicle w/ an autodim mirror (either rear or sideview) feature designed such that you could NOT manually turn off the autodim.

Add your comment to this topic!