Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gaining power?

NiN52445
04-05-2004, 02:46 AM
I was wondering what could help boost the torque of an '81 Z28 350? It ran high 14s in the quarter mile, but it's about to be dropped into my car, which is an Old Cutlass. My Cutlass has been lightened, and it slightly lighter than the Camaro. I want to boost some torque and horse for not too much money. I have a hood scoop on the Cutlass, which a hole in the hood and the air goes right down into the air filter, so cool air intake isn't really nessessary. Would headers do a lot, or is it a pipe dream that headers do a lot to increase acceleration? The exhaust system is goign to be single exhaust with a fake catalytic converter (gutted out cat with a pipe through it), and a Flowmaster muffler. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Steel
04-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Well, i'd personally stick with the 'maro, but to each his own. I say that because I don't think you even need to pass emissions with an '81, which means hooking it up is no problem.

Anyway, for engine power, exhaust systems do tend to open up a bit of power. If you really wanna start making torque, you should look into a stroker kit. I think the ala carte stroker for the 350 strokes it out to a 383. Make sure your car breathes free. I'm assuming its carberated, so you can probably get some hi-po carb systems for it too. Along with a more performance orientated cam. And fianlly theres supercharger systems, but that's a while new can of worms at that point..

NiN52445
04-05-2004, 03:56 AM
Actually, I don't own the Camaro. My friend is getting a new engine for his, and he's giving me his old one. I am planning on getting a new carb, soon, but I'll look into the stroker kit. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!