Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Radio Cuts out

unhappy
04-05-2004, 12:14 AM
So, I just purchased my first brand new car...Volkswagen, Jetta GLS. As I drive it off the lot, I notice the radio keeps cutting out. I assume that it's just not getting good reception or something or that I just need to program it and it will be fine...NOT the case. So, I call the service dept., long story short they put in a new radio...the problem is fixed for about a week and now it's happening again.

It just cuts out for like 5 seconds or so, every 15 seconds, no matter if it's on CD or radio or tape, or whatever. And it's completely random. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it cuts out.

I haven't called them yet to let them know it's happening again. Anyone else have this problem on a BRAND NEW VEHICLE! I'm so disappointed with the whole experience...any advice is greatly welcome!

thanks.
Unhappy

boschmann
04-05-2004, 11:58 AM
They proved it wasn't the radio, now they'll have to find the problem in the electrical wiring.

unhappy
04-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Here's my concern with checking the electrical wiring...When they look at the wiring can they just see where the problem is or is it trial and error? Because the radio problem is extremely random. It may work perfectly for a week and then go out for a little while and work again. So, how will they know if they've fixed the problem if it appears everything is working fine, even when I bring it in? Do you know what I mean? I'm extremely fearful that this problem is going to go on and on and on and on. And if it's an electrical wiring problem does that potentially mean that much more could go wrong with my car in the future, besides just the radio problem that I'm experiencing right now?

Plus how can there be problems like this when it's a BRAND NEW CAR!! ARGH.

If anyone has any words of wisdom on this I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

boschmann
04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Hopefully they will be able to jiggle all the wiring & connectors to the radio & find a place that makes it cut out. I haven't heard of this type of wiring problem as being common for hese cars (except at the wiring at the door jambs), most often they have an electronic component failure that is more straightforward to find. Document each time you have to bring the car in for the same repair as there are usually lemon laws in your state that cover what can be done.

jettaboy
04-18-2004, 03:15 AM
I work for the company that made the airbags in your new 2004 jetta, I remember in a meeting I was in, the dude said something like, american cars vs. foreign, that the americans were getting better at manufacturing, cause now they are down to like 20 or 30 little things wrong with every car they made, where as before it was upwards of 50. Bottom line is that totally sucks man! my 2000 had radio problems, It decided when to turn the volume up or down on its own! Its sad they havent fixed the electrical problems in the mk4's yet! I put an aftermarket stereo in to solve that! But I hear you You would expect a brand new cars radio to work! Don't give up, they should be able to fix it! Every car has its own problems!

Thom D.
01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
That's interesting-- my 2004 Jetta has a radio that cuts in and out. The dealer thought it was a bad radio. Replaced it. The new one does it too! Here's the funny part: I bought the '04 Jetta a few weeks ago from a VW dealer, with only 12000 miles on it, so I have BOTH the original factory warranty AND the VW certified warranty.
They'll have to fix it eventually.
Sadly, my dealer's service manager says he has never seen this before. This forum suggests that he's either lying or has not been paying attention for two years.

veedubmechanic
01-15-2006, 07:09 PM
codes would need to be read out from the cars cluster and radio and comfort system. Possibly the cluster is bad or comfort module is bad. Or the replacement radios might just be junk too. But as for the cutting in and out, a new radio usually fixes that. Also vw has lots of problems with the antenne mast and base.

Add your comment to this topic!