Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Change

jase386
04-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone
im new here, joined a forum for another car i have, and it was so informative i thought id hunt one for my Regal. However at 88,000 miles ive had no problems arise at all.

The only trouble i have had with anything is that horrible pink coolant gunked up, and its time to flush again. Ive been out of work and $90 is a little steep to have the shop do it, so i was going to do it myself.

I know to buy the chemical flush, and all that jazz. However i heard the mechanic say after the last flush, that

" you have to let the radiator 'Burp' to know its full, or youll have an air bubble"

does anyone know what he was talking about? i want to do this simple thing myself, but i dont want to goof up my car. any feedback is welcome.

thanks

tman
04-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Well, it it was me, I'd fill the radiator itself, then the overflow tank, run the engine, keeping a close eye on the temp guage once it hits operating temp (It shoots up quite fast). Then adding more coolant as the radiator absorbs more. I would start the car with the radiator cap off, so i could add the fluid there, which would eliminate the need to burp the system.

jase386
04-05-2004, 11:48 PM
what would happen if i did leave a bubble in the system?

the method you said is how i filled my riviera, but in the '85 Riv the radiator is higher than the engine. In the 97 Regal, the engine is higher....does it matter? :naughty:

and how do i find my personal controls so i can add a signature to my posts?

Add your comment to this topic!