Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5.9 cummins deisel mods

jc72
04-04-2004, 09:46 PM
New deisel owner. Looking for performance upgrades in correct order of upgrades, without voiding warranty.

pind
04-04-2004, 10:05 PM
what year of diesel. 1st upgrade on any automotive diesel should be exhaust. I am not saying that power chips, throttle plates, turbos and all the other go fast stuff does not help, but if it can't breathe, it won't go.
K&N filter helps too, then go from those two items.
Let me know how it goes. I have an 01 diesel, 245 hp, with upgrades of small sorts now.

dieseltech
04-10-2004, 01:13 AM
The biggest thing to remeber is when you give your motor more power its going to work harder so if you plan on doing chips I would install an EGT gauge to monitor your exhaust temp. Yeah I agree the first thing I would do is exhaust.

BleedDodge
04-10-2004, 02:29 AM
You can straightpipe these things, just like semis right?

Or do you need to have cats in place for sensors or what?

pind
04-10-2004, 10:29 AM
The biggest thing to remeber is when you give your motor more power its going to work harder so if you plan on doing chips I would install an EGT gauge to monitor your exhaust temp.

Ok, the only thing you really need to worry about, EGT wise, is when you are working it hard. If you chip it up, and throw some injectors at it, and so on, it will raise your egt when hauling hard and lugging the engine down. It requires that you learn how to shift. As long as you keep the revs at a comfortable range, I actually see lower EGTs most of the time.

I have modded several 1998.5 to 2002 trucks at this point, and yes, I install gauges on all of them, and it surprises me what they manage to do with them. But, most of these guys, after a quick lesson in shift points and hauling, never have a problem.

Good Luck

bentwings
04-11-2004, 09:34 PM
check out www.bankspower.com/
I sent an email to them with a question and they called me direct..long distance no less to answer the question. I purchased a lift pump fuel pressure gage system for less than 30 bucks delivered to my door. They are the greatest people to work with.
PS I don't work for them...wish I did.
bentwings

Decebal
06-16-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't know if an aluminum oil pan will void the warranty but I spoke to somebody at a truck show and I bought one for my 1990 Pick-up.
The Oil pan is pretty neat looking, it has some massive cooling fins that looks like something from an f-16.

I will try to find his business card or something and get back to you guys.

Add your comment to this topic!