max horsepower out of a 351?

drag_truckin
04-04-2004, 08:04 PM
can some one give me an estimated amount of max horsepower a ford 351 windsor can out out, including being supercharged, stroker kit etc.

Fizz
04-18-2004, 12:07 PM
a perfect tool for tryin´ out different engine combinations is
Desktop Dyno ...

you can buy it pretty cheap, or download it from dc/kazaa ...

Tomsriv
04-18-2004, 11:13 PM
HP in the thousands I'm sure.

-Josh-
04-19-2004, 07:39 AM
can some one give me an estimated amount of max horsepower a ford 351 windsor can out out, including being supercharged, stroker kit etc.

How much money you got?

Murray B.
05-13-2004, 06:35 PM
HP in the thousands I'm sure.

Fueled dragsters can put out this kind of power but I don't every remember seeing a Windsor in any of them. Even if it could be done, and I doubt the block is strong enough, its service life would be measured in a few tens of seconds.

Three hundred horsepower should be possible without sacrificing engine life or drivability.

Windsor Stroker
11-19-2005, 04:08 PM
It comes down to this... How much money do you have??.... Well someone in here said maybe 300 horses before block cracking?? Thats what block girdles are for... they hold up to 500 horses and even more for the 351 blocks... Try to find yourself a 351 block out of a 69 ford or any 4 bolt main 351 windsor block.. They have a high nickel content and can hold up to 1000 horsepower without the girdle. I have a 93 mustang 5.8 (351) stroked and bored to a 427... All the right hardware was used installing and i believe they are victor jr heads. It is fuel injected and made 502 rwhp before putting on the vortec supercharger. I have a super heavy duty tko trans and 9 inch rear end. With the supercharger the car makes a mere 700 horses.... And i drive her daily

curtis73
11-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Its not a max thing you can estimate. Depending on parts you use, money invested, and quality of machine work, the answer can be (literally) a 150-hp weezer that lasts 100 miles to a 1000-hp daily driver.

The cost and reliability is a progressive thing, but with standard, inexpensive, on-the-shelf performance parts there is no reason why 1 hp per inch can't be very reliable. That means a good quality rebuild with a mild cam and good money in heads can get you 350 hp that you can run every day and twice on Sunday.

As you go past 1 hp/ci the expense gets exponentially higher and the reliability tends to drop off proportionally

MrPbody
11-28-2005, 09:48 AM
As others have said, this is a wide-open question. We routinely build 450-500 HP streeters that use 93 octane gas. The key to the little Ford is the head. A good flowing pair REALLY makes the difference! The AFR or World Windsor Jr. are both very good.
There's no such thing as a "4-bolt main" Windsor, except the aftermarket performance blocks (SVT/SVO, Dart, etc.). Don't go rooting through wrecking yards looking for one.

In truth, the Windsor is a very stout block. With the big mains, a large "hit" of nitrous is a "cheap" solution to big power. The factory crank is nodular iron, not forged steel. It's the limiter when it comes to how much power the engine can make reliably (key word).

We've seen some of the 408 Windsors (strokers) making well over 1,000 HP on gasoline and no adders. TONS of money, but the power is there. There's a local guy that runs a late '80s Fox body well into the 8s (1/4 mile) above 150 MPH, in "street" trim.

Put a blower and alcohol in there, and 2K isn't out of the question.

One could also consider a "Cleavor". That is, a Windsor block with Cleveland heads. WOO HOO!!! Best of both worlds... REALLY good heads, stout enough bottom end to do them justice! (Cleveland bottom ends are a bit fragile). There are aftermarket intakes and pistons to make ths swap reasonable.

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!