Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Help From Master Tech.

TOHUMAS
04-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I have a 1988 Buick Lesabre 3.8L V6 engine code C. The car drove immaculately up until the temperature dropped to the lowest point this past winter. My wife had trouble starting the car--I added dry gas and it started but was now running erratically. I checked for spark and found it only firing on 4 cylinders coming off the coil. Replaced the ignition coil and module and the car started with full power. (I surmise she destroyed the coil while continuously cranking the engine). The car then ran for about 5-10 minutes, then suddenly started sputtering as if it was starving for fuel. I then changed the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. The car started and ran for about 10 minutes no problems, then wammo--started sputtering again. I am now strongly leaning towards the fuel pump running intermittently. I do not look forward however to dropping the fuel tank to get to the pump. What pressure should I be seeing at the fuel rail and what would tell me if the fuel pump was most likely bad. The car starts ok but then starts conking out even at idle but faster when given gas.
Thanks for your response

Flatrater
04-05-2004, 09:17 PM
You should have around 35 PSI at the rail and a decent volume about a half a soda can in 10 seconds.

Add your comment to this topic!