Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 S-10 Vortec basics needed

jazbo
04-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I know very little about this truck so I'm counting on you to fill me in or point me in the right direction.

What are some of the pros and cons of this model year?

What interface does it have? OBD-I or OBD-II?

Where do I buy a connector so I can read the engine codes?

Where do I get the software to write to the ECM and where do I get the
data/firmware (or whatever it's called) to re-program the ECM?

Where can I get the manuals on cds?

Thanks in advance!

jazbo
04-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I know very little about this truck so I'm counting on you to fill me in or point me in the right direction.

What are some of the pros and cons of this model year?

What interface does it have? OBD-I or OBD-II?

Where do I buy a connector so I can read the engine codes?

Where do I get the software to write to the ECM and where do I get the
data/firmware (or whatever it's called) to re-program the ECM?

Where can I get the manuals on cds?

Thanks in advance!

Well it's not like me to give up so I been trying to find answers for myself. slashdot.org had a recent story on performance mods and I found some good links from some of the ./'ers. I found a good article on 1994 and 1995 GM cars/trucks and how to figure out what is in mine.

Quote from the site:
http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=gm_9495.htm&cart_id=4020874_86513

"1994 & 1995 GM vehicles were equipped with several different engine computer systems. Follow these steps, in sequence to determine what diagnostic tools is right for your vehicle:

1. Find the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) in your vehicle:
* If the PCM is a black box with cooling fins located under the hood, your vehicle is most likely OBD II.
* To confirm that your vehicle is OBD II-compliant, check the Emissions Decal located in the engine compartment.
* If you determine that your vehicle is OBD II compliant, use either the CP9135 OBD II Code Reader or the KM9620A OBD II System Tester.
* If the PCM is a silver box located in the interior of the vehicle, proceed to Step 2.

2. Find the DLC (Diagnostic Link Connector) under the dashboard, usually on the driver's side:
* If the DLC is a 16-pin D-shaped connector (like Figure 1 below), your vehicle is OBD I-equipped, but with the OBD II connector. The proper tool is a CP9110 Scantool with a CP9111 GM Cartridge and a CP9115 OBD II cable.
* If the DLC is a 12-pin rectangular connector (like Figure 2 below), proceed to Step 3.

3. If Pin "B" is present in the 12-pin connector (see Figure 2 below):
* Use the CP9001 GM Code Scanner or
* the CP9110 Scantool with a CP9111 GM Cartridge

4. If Pin "B" is not present in the 12-pin connector (see Figure 2 below):
* Use the CP9110 Scantool with a CP9111 GM Cartridge"

jazbo
04-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Answering more of my own questions but hopefully other 1995 S-10 owners can benefit too.

California Air Resouces Board provided this list of pre-96 OBD II engine designations. Note that CARB recognizes engine series, rather than vehicle models, so the engine designations are the true key, with the vehicle models provided as a courtesy.

California Air Resources Board List of Certified OBD II
Complying Engine Families and Models Engine Family

1995 Model
Certifications______Manuf._____Model(s)___________ __Fully
Engine Family___________________________________Compliant ?
S3G4.319GFEJ.......GM....S10 Pick-Up, Jimmy, Blazer....No
S3G4.329GFGJ.......GM....S10 Pick-Up...........................No

Add your comment to this topic!