Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you install a switch for the Radiator Fan?

Fit4Demolition
04-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Its an 88 V6 camaro and the fan won't turn on. the problem is either the thermostat switch or the wiring. Since i can't find the thermostat switch, i am planning on running a switch from the fan to the dashboard. If anyone either knows how to install the switch or where the thermostat switch is please help. I've been working on the car for about a week now and that is the only thing wrong with it and it is keeping me from driving so if anyone can help please do.

Fit4Demolition
04-03-2004, 11:14 AM
you can also instant message me at FitDemolition96 or e-mail me at Fit4Demolition@yahoo.com. Thanks for the help.

ridge_runner
04-03-2004, 12:32 PM
first test your fan, jus take the 2 wires and touch them to the batt, once youve determined it works, make sure you dont switch the neg and pos wires up cause you will reverse the airflow if you do, run a neg wire from the fan to a ground on the car(ex. fender bolt) now you need to determine a power source, you could either run it from the batt or into your fuse box, run one wire from your power source to one of the posts on your switch, now run the pos wire from the fan to your switch, anf thats got it, it should work, now if you have one of those fancy light up switches you have to also ground the switch for the light to work

ridge_runner
04-03-2004, 12:34 PM
well if you switch the wires on the fan you will switch how the fan work, if you have a puller fan and you mix the wires up it will now be pusher, vise versa

4onFloor
04-03-2004, 12:45 PM
the sending unit for the fan is in the passenger side head, well atleast on V8's it is. secondly, if your going to wire it directly to a switch in the dash you will need a relay, an ordianary switch will burn up, too much current. i'd recommend using a switched power source so you dont accidently leave the fan on, it will happen.

ridge_runner
04-03-2004, 12:51 PM
more then likly when you get out of the car you will hear it, well atleast i do, mines kinda loud

ridge_runner
04-03-2004, 12:51 PM
or you could be spiffy and tape a big sign to your dash reminding you to turn it on and off

4onFloor
04-03-2004, 03:02 PM
hmmm, i'm thinking tractor seat idea where it shuts the fan off when u get outa the seat...nah nevermind

ridge_runner
04-03-2004, 04:22 PM
haha hey that could work

Fit4Demolition
04-03-2004, 05:17 PM
i already tested the fan and it wasnt the motor. thanks for the advice and i will definately use it. does anyone know where the thermostat switch is though? i already bought the thing and i cant find it. if i find it and that wasnt the problem or no one knows where it is then i will definately use the switch. SO if anyone knows where the thermostat switch is if you could tell me it would save a lot of time. Thanks for the advice. I'm almost certain that i will end up rigging up a switch instead of replacing the thermo switch. Thanks again.

mow6
04-03-2004, 05:24 PM
hi, i'm new to this forum and still workin my way thru finding out how to post a query. can anyone help me with instructions to install lowering springs in 91' camaro? thank you

ridge_runner
04-03-2004, 07:03 PM
hmm, well you need a spring compressor i believe, i havnt messed with springs on a camaro, but ive helped my buddy lower a s10, he jus put it up in a lift, put a trans jack under it undid all the bolts and lowered it slowly, put the springs in jacked it up and hooked everything back up, i think if you try that on a camaro the spring will come flyin out, maybe someone with more experience will see this and have more info

89IROC&RS
04-03-2004, 10:30 PM
the fan switch is in the block, over the starter motor, its easiest to get to from the bottom so put the car up on jacks or preforably a lift. also, either drain the coolant, or be prepaired to get a antifreeze shower when you do it. and wear goggles ;) cuz the coolant will come pouring out, figured that out the hard way on mine. also there is a cooling fan relay on the dash, driver side. farthest to the driver side fender. unplug it and check for a bent terminal, or a burnt or corroded terminal. that too could cause your problem.

as far as the springs, use the propor tools, you can definately cause damage to both your car and yourself if you grease monkey it. but if you can get the pressure off the spring as much as possible IE lift the car up, and then use the spring compressor to make the spring small enough to drop right out. then reverse the process to put in the drop springs.

Fit4Demolition
04-05-2004, 09:10 PM
right now i am in the stages of installing a direct switch for the radiator fan. i am definately going to change the thermostat switch also. if that fixes everything then im gonna undo the switch for the fan and hook the switch up to some neons that are under the dash when i bought the car :cool: thanks for hte help, if i ever need anymore i will defintely post again.

Chevyracincamaro
04-06-2004, 05:09 PM
you could always wire a resistor and LED into the switch so that the LED comes on when the fan is on...

ridge_runner
04-06-2004, 09:15 PM
i tried that, maybe my leds were messed up....

Chevyracincamaro
04-06-2004, 09:33 PM
quite possibly burnt out the LEDs, on the 12-volt system you are putting a lot of current through the diode, that or you might have put them in backwards, either way its just a thought...

Fit4Demolition
04-09-2004, 11:34 AM
my switch lights up when it is turned on so i dont really have that problem. I finally got to drive my car a couple days ago :swear:. It turns out when me and my dad wired the switch in, we put the wire on the wrong part of hte plug for the fan motor and it was blowing air out. So with that my car had to be cooled by the air alone. Which works if you have enough water in your radiator, which i didnt the next day. I then drove my car again and it got really hot. I bought some water from a CVS and put that in. I kept driving with the heat blasting (of course it had to be the hottest day of the year so far) and for hte most part it stayed under 220. I tried turning on the fan to blow some of the hot air out of the engine compartment and the wires for the switch burned :angryfire: so i replaced all of teh wire and put a piece of copper tubing over the wire and kept it to the side as far away form hte block as i could. all i have to do today is ground hte switch and hook it up to a power source. :smile: I've had a fun couple of days.

Add your comment to this topic!