Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Look Out Benz & Bimmer... Lex GS350 GT/ LS500 GT Is Coming

Teg_95
04-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Mean, Green Lexus On Way

"Highlights from the article

Things look set to get highly charged at Toyota. The company intends to enter the performance saloon market with a family of Lexus models that will all feature hybrid technology.

Engineers are currently working on two machines, one of which will be a new version of the flagship LS. However, first to hit the road will be the GS350 GT, which was unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show. Expected in August 2005 and aimed at the Mercedes E55 AMG, it will mark Lexus' first anniversary of sales in Japan, and sport a 300bhp 3.5-litre V6 mated to a 170bhp electric motor. Offering an astounding 470bhp, the car will feature all-wheel drive and be capable of around 60mpg.

But if you think that sounds impressive, then just wait another 12 months, when Lexus' ultimate hybrid - the LS500 GT - will appear. Combining a 400bhp 5.0-litre V8 with a 200bhp electric motor, the car will offer at least 600bhp and be targeted at the Mercedes S-Class flagship, the S600L."

PICS:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157908

Honestmechanics?
04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that story, we are about to blow up. I'd seen the next generation of my GS3 and wasn't too excited. The LS500 GT is off the hook. The butt looks like the new 7 series, which aint a bad thing. The next GS looks like a Nissan, because Nissan likes to copy Lexus (the latest Altima and the 90s 200 SX? was a SC clone). Good post, I'm hyped about the future of my fav car co.

gqmac2
04-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Man please, do you honestly think someone is going to pay the money for a hybrid Lexus? THe whole reason to buy a Lexus is to save thousands and still have a luxurious ride. I doubt it will sell much, just like the Scion is not really selling now. Welcome to reality Toyota. Some ideas are the bomb and other are a bomb turned dud.

L-TunedIS300
06-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Man please, do you honestly think someone is going to pay the money for a hybrid Lexus? THe whole reason to buy a Lexus is to save thousands and still have a luxurious ride. I doubt it will sell much, just like the Scion is not really selling now. Welcome to reality Toyota. Some ideas are the bomb and other are a bomb turned dud.

You don't think a 470hp GS will sell?

The IS350GT is going to be bad ass too :iceslolan

ghetto7o2azn
06-20-2004, 08:44 PM
470bhp and 60mpg and you dont think it will sell? :screwy:

gqmac2
06-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Oh it will sell but I really don't think it will sell well. Think about it for a second. Lexus is already extremely over priced compared to its competition. SO what do you think will happen with a hybrid that actually has kick ass power and get 60mpg??? The price will be so high only a couple of people will be able too afford it. Just think of this as an answer from Toyota to MB's upcoming CLS65 or BMW's upcoming M6 or even Infiniti's GTR. Sure it will be hot, but it it will be a while before you see it in the average neighborhood.

Teg_95
06-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Oh it will sell but I really don't think it will sell well. Think about it for a second. Lexus is already extremely over priced compared to its competition. SO what do you think will happen with a hybrid that actually has kick ass power and get 60mpg??? The price will be so high only a couple of people will be able too afford it. Just think of this as an answer from Toyota to MB's upcoming CLS65 or BMW's upcoming M6 or even Infiniti's GTR. Sure it will be hot, but it it will be a while before you see it in the average neighborhood.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. First off Lexus are not overpriced. Read your very first post in this thread. YOu are contradicting your second post. Also if anything BMW and Benz are overpriced pieces of crap. I mean when a Korean built car is rated more reliable than Benz and Bimmer something is wrong LOL.

alphalanos
06-21-2004, 02:23 PM
well hyundai may be on average more reliable, but seriously now which would you rather have, that or a BMW. Also, BMW and MB are not "overpriced peices of crap" . why do you think they consistently earn "best car" etc from magazines? Compare Hyundais top model, the XG 350 ($25,000) with even the 328 BMW ($30,000) I guarantee the BMW will be better in any category.

Teg_95
06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
well hyundai may be on average more reliable, but seriously now which would you rather have, that or a BMW. Also, BMW and MB are not "overpriced peices of crap" . why do you think they consistently earn "best car" etc from magazines? Compare Hyundais top model, the XG 350 ($25,000) with even the 328 BMW ($30,000) I guarantee the BMW will be better in any category.

I wouldn't buy either. Thats why I own a Lexus. You are right you can buy a 328 for $30,000 but thats a strip model. After options you will be looking at 35k for a 328. In my opinion not worth it. You are paying a premium for the name. I do give credit for their performance though. THey are great cars for performance, but lack reliability. A lot of electrical problems and a oil leaks.

alphalanos
06-21-2004, 02:32 PM
its up to the buyer. if they want to deal with it they can...every car has problems.

gqmac2
06-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't buy either. Thats why I own a Lexus. You are right you can buy a 328 for $30,000 but thats a strip model. After options you will be looking at 35k for a 328. In my opinion not worth it. You are paying a premium for the name. I do give credit for their performance though. THey are great cars for performance, but lack reliability. A lot of electrical problems and a oil leaks.
The overall point of Lexus "was" to have an affordable luxury car. But that mission statement is far from done over. So how did I contradict myself?

But you have just contradicted yourself. Lexus is a premium nameplate that is well.. as you said overpriced. Every Lexus model starts out a little pricey. The models that are a reasonably priced are stripped. For all the goodies you looking at paying at least 6 grand or more. And lets not talk about performance. The GS430 is hands down one of the best Sport Luxury Sedans, but thats a $53,000 well equipped. If I am not mistakened, can't you get an Infiniti M45, that has more power, similar interior materials, and just as good a handle as the GS430 handling for 4-8 grand less??? And what about the underpowered LS430 (290hp, wtf???) Base model... $59,000. With all the items that other models come nicely equipped with, lets just say the price quickly gets up in the stratusfere ($72,000). Now isn't this paying for a nameplate? The BMW 745i one can get with more power and a pleathora of goodies for $4,000 more or just opp to get the Q45, which has everything the LS and 745i have (as standard equipment.) for around $65,000. My point is just as I said before. Lexus is already a overpriced nameplate, so just imagine how much more money making the GS or LS hybrid with this much power will add to the price of the car. Lets just say I see the GS350 GT being priced at $65,000 and the LS500 GT running a cool $89,000. Again I say, who would want to pay that much for a Lexus???

tytgs300
10-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Lets just say I see the GS350 GT being priced at $65,000 and the LS500 GT running a cool $89,000. Again I say, who would want to pay that much for a Lexus???

Why not??? Me and millions others would...
Unless ur a baller and you don’t care, a knowledgeable consumer that does his homework should know that Lexus is a kick ass luxury brand that's just better than BMW & Benz period! Even if Lexus cars cost as much as them european cars or more than 100k someday, ppl will buy it anyway. America has trust in the Toyota brand. That is why the freakin Camry tops the list for the best selling car in the USA so many times. The LS400 has been kicking ass vs. them European luxuries (incl. s-class and 7 series) countless number of comparisons in numerous car mags don't you know?? Show me respectable sources or car mag editors that say Lexus is overpriced. Good luck on ur findings

gqmac2
10-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Why not??? Me and millions others would...
Unless ur a baller and you don’t care, a knowledgeable consumer that does his homework should know that Lexus is a kick ass luxury brand that's just better than BMW & Benz period! Even if Lexus cars cost as much as them european cars or more than 100k someday, ppl will buy it anyway. America has trust in the Toyota brand. That is why the freakin Camry tops the list for the best selling car in the USA so many times. The LS400 has been kicking ass vs. them European luxuries (incl. s-class and 7 series) countless number of comparisons in numerous car mags don't you know?? Show me respectable sources or car mag editors that say Lexus is overpriced. Good luck on ur findings

Just read the information in magazines my friend. You will see just how incorrect you are.

gqmac2
11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I find it interesting how no one has made any more baised comments since I made this last post on this thread.

bobegnops
02-05-2005, 12:00 AM
I find it interesting how no one has made any more baised comments since I made this last post on this thread.

I agree with gqmac2 on the pricing issue. My neighbor is the service manager at the dealership here in town. We were talking, while my LS was being serviced, about how the new 2006 LS500 will kick MB's butt when it comes out as it will have ALL the bells and whistles. He went on and on. At that point I started drooling and thought I had to have one. Then the bombshell hit. $90 large. I'm done-no way I can swing that.

But I do have to defend Lexus somewhat. For all the innovation, and quality, that they have put into their vehicles, the price started a little taller than most luxuy cars, but there has not been a great deal of price appreciation until the Ultra Luxury edition appeared. But who can blame Lexus? If the money is out there they may a well cater to it .

57JagXKSS
03-13-2005, 02:28 AM
The new GS seems nice, but it seems as if it has just a bit too much gizmos for me.

http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101887

TRIGGAMAN
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Just read the information in magazines my friend. You will see just how incorrect you are.

Even if the mb/bmw/or lexus were all the same price, which one will get you the best resale value of the three? You know the answer. The lexus holds its value better than anyone of those heaps.:screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!