Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sun Gear Shell Failure GM 4L60E Automatic Transmission

kyeagle
04-02-2004, 11:22 AM
The Sun Gear failed on my 98 GMC pickup at 59k miles and while 350 miles from home. The transmission shop immediately told me my problem when I described the loss of reverse, 2nd and 4th gears. The technician also showed me what he expected to find during the tear down.

He did this because he had 2 more transmissions with the same problem on his workbench. He said this was a common problem he frequently encountered with the 1997-1999 GM transmission.

After it was repaired, they showed me a 2000 ATRA Manual which said "the sun gear shell was faulty due to its manufacturing process". and to check the part number of the replacement to be sure the new part was received due to some of the old part being in the GM supply chain.

I feel if GM has used a faulty part, they should step up to the plate and make matters right, which to this point they have stonewalled me. I'm trying at this point to get the ball rolling by taking this issue public. Any help out there?

rowbeart
09-26-2004, 05:13 PM
I have the same problem described w/1997 GMC Sierra 5.7 Liter.

CJDOG
01-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I have a 2002 Yukon. Sun gear failed at 36401 miles. I now have 89500 miles and it has failed again!!!!!!!!!*%#&@. This truck is 100% highway mileage. Heaviest thing ever towed is a 14' aluminum fishing boat. GM dealer tells me I have a "high milage" vechicle and he nor GM feel like this failure is a problem???? $40000, tow rated at 8000lbs and failing twice under 100,000 miles, I would call this a problem. Dealer told me this problem is somewhat common starting with the 1999 model year.
Anybody else out there with this same issue????

SHAWNEXLEY
01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
yep me to and mine is a 1995 same thing but i bought the truck used and the deler had a ten thousand mile waranty on it and he had to pay my uncle is a tranny mechanick and he said that was the problem

96JimmySLE
01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Mine went at 175,000 miles. It cost me about $1400.00 to get the tranny re biult. Since then, no problems. I agree, it's a poor design and you would think GM would correct this.

calgary_redneck
01-22-2005, 08:27 PM
the 4l60-e is over all a good transmission but there are a few area's that could be improved on. The stamped steel sungear shells are one of them but keep in mind that this is a week point in many other transmissions too

84fiero123
02-17-2005, 07:28 AM
guys i agree with you all gm should fix it but let me tell you a little (ha ha) story some of you older guys may remember.
i had a 1977 ford LTD II great car don't get me wrong loved it. had about 4 recalls which ford fixed right away, now the story.
if you closed the door while the engine was running in park it could slip into revese, all by itself. ran some people over, a lot of people got hurt. the problem was in the trans. and could have been fix durring the building of the tranny. would have cost ford .15 cents per unit.
got recalled. you know what they did, come on guys some of you must remember this!
come on one last chance.

they sent me a decal for the dash that said, do not leave car unattended while running it may slip out of park. so just because they could have and should have don't expect them too.but bitch like hell.

Chopp68
01-23-2006, 10:56 AM
:banghead: I just recently encountered the same problem with my 2000 Suburban. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how they fixed the problem. Did they have to rebuild the whole tranny or just fix the Sun Gear Shell?

blazee
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately, this problem requires a rebuild or replacement of the transmission.

If you need any further assistance , please start a new thread, this one is nearly a year old.

Thread closed.

Add your comment to this topic!