Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

disabling a hotwired vehicle

redgiant
03-31-2004, 08:54 PM
I came across a new problem today as a firefighter; disabling a vehicle that has been hotwired. It was an automatic transmission so I couldn't just pop the clutch. I cut the altered ignition wires-didn't work. Should or can I pull the distributor cap to cut the engine? Any help would be appreciated. The car was used in a staged accident and the driver fled the scene. I need to know this info to secure the safety of the scene for everyone, ie the police, firefighters, medics and tow operators. Thanks in advance.

rubix777
03-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Is this a joke? :eek7:

You can disconnect the ground wire for the alternator.

Evil Result
04-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Well if its going to be in an accident it might get the front smashed in and its sometime dangerous to stick your hand in the engine compartment while the engine is running, loosing fingers isn't cool.

SaabJohan
04-04-2004, 02:21 PM
There are several methods to stop the engine:

- cut the ignition cables
- cut the cables from the coil to the distributor
- cut the power from the battery
- put you hand against the air intake
- put your hand against the exhaust outlet
- cut the power to the ignition coil
- cut the power to the fuel injectors

Basicly anything that will cut off fuel, ignition or air will do the trick, but don't try to cut the power from the alternator as the engine can tun on the battery.

By "cut" the ignition wires I mean that they should be removed not cutted with anything as the high voltage can be lethal.

FranKey
04-04-2004, 05:52 PM
i think it would be safer by just ''choking'' the engine, by blocking the air that goes to the engine like putting a plastic bag in front of of where the air enters the intake tube( may be longer to execute than others suggestions).In that case if the engine cant breathe anymore ,it wont run anymore

Add your comment to this topic!