'97 Jetta won't start

devon
03-31-2004, 02:50 PM
i have a 1997 Jetta GL 4-cyl, the only aftermarket part on it is a Weapon-R Hyper Intake. My car was running fine and i noticed the clock went back to 12:00, so i reset it and the car continued to start fine the next 2 times i started it that day. the next morning i tried to start my car to no avail. all there was was a click, no turnover or anything. so i assumed it was prolly the battery, but Advance Auto Parts checked it on two machines and both said it was fine. so i don't know what would be causing this. my friend suggested the ECM fuse may have blown, but i checked and it's fine. what do you guys think the problem might be and how would i fix it?

boschmann
03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
I'd need to know if it's automatic or manual transmission to fully diagnose. Is the click in the engine compartment at the starter or under the dash? Do the dash warning lights dim/go out when you turn the key to start? If you have a test light see if the small red w/black trace wire to the starter goes hot in the start position.

devon
03-31-2004, 05:51 PM
it is a manual tranny [forgot to mention that]. yeah, the dash lights dim. i don't have a test light, but my friend's dad may. he's a mechanic and said he'd try to look at the car tomorrow.

devon
04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
i did a running start and popped it in gear and the car started, so i am pretty sure it's the starter.

boschmann
04-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I agree. See if you are geting power to the solenoid trigger wire I mentioned. If it is going hot you can try jumping the two large wires at the starter solenoid with a screwdriver you don't care to put burn marks on. It should crank, if it does it's probably a bad starter solenoid, if it doesn't it's the starter motor (assuming battery connections are good).

devon
04-02-2004, 07:54 PM
my friend's dad checked it and he just said it was the starter and it would need to be replaced. so now i have to waiti til the part comes in and put it in. damn expensive parts [not too expensive, but i'm broke]

thanks for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!