Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Na - Turbo - super charge

shaun1982
03-30-2004, 09:35 PM
dont tell me about www.howstuffworks.com

but i got a civic 94 vti sohc sedan. i plan on getting a ahatch with b16 engine. and i want to go naturally aspirated way.

can any one tell me the pros and cons on turbo method, na method and supercharge method.

and y would u go which way. thanks
but my opinion is N/a

thanks

MexSiR
03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Well Naturally Aspirated b16 engine would be the most reliable. Also the one producing less power, assuming same amount of cash invested.

Supercharged engine has a very flexible powerband because it does not have a lag, the power does not have to be waited upon in order to kick in. Its attached to the timing belt so when the accelerator is pressed there is instant power.

Turbochargers will bring the most power out of these methods. The smaller the turbo, the faster it will spool causing very minimal drag. A larger turbo will take more time to spool but it will be faster. Reliability depends on the quality of partss and of course the installation.

Big turbos, or turbos are not that good for autox sometimes. That would be a downside that a SC does not have. An engine NA can be fast, but not very fast, dropping lots of cash into a 1595cc engine wont get very good results. But it will be the most reliable, and for some the best sounding.

Add your comment to this topic!