Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear tire not verticle

djk122
03-30-2004, 08:54 PM
I have a 73 super beetle with a rear tire that is tilted in (the top of the tire is closer to the body than the bottom). Is there someone who could help me with how to fix this problem and have my tire verticle? Thanks.

grand_am93
03-30-2004, 09:10 PM
um whats your ? im lost sorry

djk122
03-30-2004, 09:20 PM
How do I get my tire verticle? Is a suspension problem? Is it a structural problem? Where do I start?

boschmann
03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
The problem is your torsion bars (springs) have weakened. The good news is that you don't need any new parts as they can be readjusted. The bad news is that it is a fairly difficult job to do. You must compress the bar, remove the cover plate, slide the control arm off it's locking tab, CAREFULLY release the spring tension, remove the control arm off the torsion bar & reposition according to an angle gauge, then reverse the proceedure. It can be dangerous if you don't understand what you're doing. Get a Bentley manual or John Miur's "Idiot Book" to see what you need to do.

djk122
03-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks Boschmann!!!

bluebug
06-25-2004, 05:02 PM
The 73 has IRS suspension the torsion bars are your springs for ride. If the wheels are tilting you probably have bad rear wheel bearings. There are two of them on each side. you will have to remove the rear brakes and the CV axles to remove the stub axles and change bearings.

spasticone
06-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Torsion bar sag is my guess too. very common. I LOVE the miur book. he's very accomodating to the backyard mechanic!

bluebug
06-27-2004, 07:24 PM
The rear suspension system in the beetle made a big change in 1968. They eliminated the swing axle suspension and went to independant rear suspension. On a swing axle when you jack up the car, the rear wheels hang angled in at the bottom. The IRS suspension has trailing arms and stub axles. The rear wheels ride almost verticle wether on the groun or jacked up. The stub axles have two wheel bearings on each axle. Torsion bar sag on an IRS suspension will only lower the entire rear end of the car. It will not cause the top of the wheel to tip inward. Clark

boschmann
06-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Not all '69 & up Type 1's had IRS. The US market mostly did, but there are alot in other countries that didn't. Based on his being in Canada & the fact he didn't mention any horrible noise that would accompany a bearing failed so bad that it actually let the wheel tilt, I would say he actually is talking about the more frequent sagging. It can often give a tilted in appearance, even on IRS.

Gunngee
06-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Also, he did say that it was a super beetle and all super beetles to my knowledge had IRS.

boschmann
06-28-2004, 09:26 PM
I do believe you're correct. I can't think of an exception to that on either the 1302 or 1303's. All other post '69 swing axles I've come across were standards. I don't think it really matters as I still feel he has worn torsion bars & it is sagging, causing the appearance of being tilted in at the top. I'm sure you've seen many with this condition, I'll have to measure the next one I see to check if it actually tilts or not, for some reason I think they do, even though the design was to prevent it.

Gunngee
06-28-2004, 11:19 PM
You are right, my 71' 1302 had slight positive camber on both wheels, very slight.

Gunngee
06-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Not meaning to spam but oops i apologise i meant negative camber.

Add your comment to this topic!