Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service Engine Soon Light (01 Maxima)

ISOKE9
03-30-2004, 06:44 PM
I AM BEGGING FOR ANY ADVISE.

I recently purchased a 2001 NISSAN MAXIMA GLE with 40,000 miles.

MY SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT IS ON.

The dealer is stating that , the PROBLEM IS MY PRE-CAT,
and that the repair is 1000.00. I thought that the light coming on simply meant an oxgen sensor needed replacement.

What do I do?
How can I diagnose myself?
It sounds like they are trying to rip me off!
CAN SOMEONE OFFER ANY ADVISE.
I AM DESPERATE.

ISOKE9
03-30-2004, 06:45 PM
What is the pre-cat? I AM SO CONFUSED

Caracicatriz
03-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Go to Autozone. They check the codes for free. I believe a Pre-cat is in the y-pipe and that only costs about $200-250. I would definetly get a second opinion.

ISOKE9
03-31-2004, 10:46 AM
Thank you. CAN ANYONE OFFER ANYMORE ADVISE.

I AM ON MY KNEES BEGGING FOR ADIVSE

NickStam
04-04-2004, 04:15 PM
You can pull the code yourself from your car's ECU. That way you can verify that the code is correct.

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

desertmike1
04-06-2004, 06:37 AM
There is no such thing as a Pre Cat/Catylitic converter, you have one on each bank most likely, some vehicles Y pipe into 1ea cat. The term pre cat is indicitave of the O2 sensor at the inlet of the Catylitic converter.

Now the big Question is.
Is your sensor bad?
Or do you have an engine issue causing the O2 sensor to read out of range?

I find it near impossible for the dealer to put a price tag on the lack of information they gave you, demand more or take your ride somewhere else.

rather_b_boatin
05-03-2005, 02:35 AM
I have an 01 Maxima that just had same problem. Should be covered under California emissions warranty, fedral mandate, not sure where to find info. I had to complain to get it covered (under warranty 8/80) at local dealership, would have been $1K.

Recently just had an O2 high voltage & circut time out code bank 1 sensor 2 trip the CEL. Does anyone know the difference between bank 1 & 2? And does this sound like a bad O2 sensor. Dealer wanted $611 to fix this one replace 2 O2 sensors and re-program ECU. Should I just replace the 1 bad w/ aftermarket, suck it up and pay the $611, or just keep clearing the code until engine fails and trade the peice of junk in???? Seems like its $800 every 6 months when CEL comes on.....Not worth it!!

Nahkapohjola
05-03-2005, 10:36 AM
.....Not worth it!!

Stealerships do rippin for living.

Cheaper to buy those O2's an just DIY change or go any shop an ask to change ...½hours. Reprogram sounds balooney... ECU reset =take batt off for ½hour. Start reading FSM and become filthy rich... see bottom of page: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/1

99redmaxSE
05-03-2005, 08:57 PM
i just got my car back from the shop cause my light went on. but it was my ignition coils..cost 700$

rather_b_boatin
05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Stealerships do rippin for living.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to DIY the affected sensor, disconnect batt for 1/2 hr, I'll let you know how I make out. Enjoyed the quote.

Nahkapohjola
05-04-2005, 03:26 AM
i just got my car back from the shop cause my light went on. but it was my ignition coils..cost 700$

6 coils do NOT die at once. I am sure they did not give yours back?
Go bck and demand, they're yours!

Or... there's the happy nissan mech with 5 coils, like new... 500$ thank you. (btw. did he happen to rip the airbags off also... according the news, he did)

Oh boy, this is ugly txt. But mind u, the reality is still uglier...

David1201086
05-06-2005, 09:43 PM
It Most Likely Is Your Oxygen Sensor. Are You A Kid? He Is Probably Just Trying To Take Advantage Of You. Get A Mechanic U Can Trust. I Have A 01 Gle And Mine Came On, Replacedthe Ox. Sensor Its Fine Now.

David1201086
05-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Sorry didnt relize this is such an old post

rather_b_boatin
05-12-2005, 09:13 PM
01 SE-Repacled what I thought is the affected O2 sensor. Bank 1 sensor 2 is what came up on code reader (P138 & 9; slow circut and high voltage) so I did the forward bank closest to radiator, 2nd sensor coming down from manifold, under the car. Disconnected lottery machine for .5 hrs. The CEL came back on in 11 miles. Beating my head against the wall w/ this stupid car. Did I get the correct sensor? Stealership on to something w/ this re-program lottery machine?

Nahkapohjola
05-13-2005, 03:58 AM
...The CEL came back on in 11 miles. Beating my head against the wall w/ this stupid car. Did I get the correct sensor? Stealership on to something w/ this re-program lottery machine?

"Beating my head against the wall w/ this stupid car. Did I get the correct sensor?" ...noo. Wrong lottery ticket. Be happy for the 11...

Swap the sensor back, try another one. (could also be low voltage or gnd problem). check: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/10

If systems produce sham error messages that thousands of users complain, typically the ponytails will patch their shoddy work with even worse shoddy work. These are called updates. Better still, they might do nothing but start to proclaim that "this is a feature". Maybe the stealeship has one or the other to offer in this case? dunno. Oh boy, feel bad for u. And want to hang on my oldie...

rather_b_boatin
05-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Latest update on CEL light, found an exhaust grounding strap not connected. I re-connected it and CEL came on in 80 more miles.

Nahkapohjola
05-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Latest update on CEL light, found an exhaust grounding strap not connected. I re-connected it and CEL came on in 80 more miles.

Sounds weird that strap is off: what is the history of u car... TroubleShootin: The intermittent are the worst to hit...

That strap may or may not have any connection. O2 etc signal level is so small, long wiring, many [oxidized] connectors on the way to ECU that signal can be lost many times over to the resistance and/or radio frequency noise. Btw. That /those sensor harness must have a gnd strap for each: are they connected and connection ok? (dont ask me where they are, the shield gounds should be connected on ECU side, but Nissan does not really follow the rules.)

rather_b_boatin
05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I can check those at the ECU (after I find ECU!). Yesterday I changed the new O2 sensor to other bank, had to modify the plug to fit. (same color wires) 56 miles and no CEL yet, we need to do a long trip to be sure however, not holding out hope. Just for fun I read ohms new to old and old was 1-1.5 ohms higher than the new one, might inc volts a little?? Also noticed that O2 wire that I removed was in a coil, at one point, next to (laying on) an exhaust flange. Fixed that while I was at it. Will keep you posted Nah, thanks for help so far.

Nahkapohjola
05-25-2005, 01:00 AM
I can check those at the ECU (after I find ECU!). ...and old was 1-1.5 ohms higher than the new one, might inc volts a little?? ...

I would guess ECU is in the same place as in the oldies. On some nissans its under driver seat.

The resistance could be pointing to the error, however one ohm difference may be caused by anything. How was it with the other sensor?

My ol max ECU:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/748000-748999/748507_128_full.jpg

rather_b_boatin
05-31-2005, 01:51 AM
300 miles so far, no CEL. Fingers crossed.

Add your comment to this topic!