Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Toyota Pickup rear end problems help

Kyle4130
03-30-2004, 04:23 PM
My truck has been making this noice coming from the rear end for 3 weeks now. I am completely clueless as to what it could be. Ive shown a few other people and they dont know either. The noice is mostly coming from the rear left wheel. It sounds as if metal is clanking together. it does it in 2nd and 3rd gear but not all the time. when i step on it a bit you can deffinetally hear it. There was a lot of water that had gotten in through the breather in the rear so i replaced all the gear oil and pulled out the axle and put on a new seal and re-greased the bearings. the sound went away for about a week but now its back. some help me out please! thanks
Kyle

shagy0
03-30-2004, 08:30 PM
I would try checking the U-joints on the rear drive shaft. I know that it doesn't sound like it is coming from there, but I had the same thing on my truck and it drove me crazy. I could have sworn that it came from teh rear diff or somewhere around there. But it turned out that my U-joint was F***ed. The problem with mine was that it was so bad that I had started to wear thru the yoke so I couldn't feel play, and I didn't know till I pulled the driveshaft. Anyway worth checking.
Cheers!

Kyle4130
03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
hahahaha. your you joint was fucked thats funny. you were right cause so is mine! mine is broken in half. it totally doesnt sound like its coming from there let alone look screwed up. but indeed it is. i need to rebuild my driveline with new central support and replace all the u-joints.

Add your comment to this topic!