Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service engine light on...

Parmenides3
03-29-2004, 11:57 PM
The service engine light is on on the '92 Tercel that I gave my parents. I'm hundreds of miles away, so I can't look at the car myself.

I always gave the car 89 octane gas, but I just found out my dad has been feeding it 87 octane. Also, my mom took it for an oil change just before the light came on. I am wondering if there is a sensor that would detect the burning of any oil that might have spilled on the block during the oil change. Mom is a wonder at fixing machines...she's also a wonder at breaking them.

So my question is: if you're far away and the service engine light comes on your parents' car, what (if anything) can you do to help?

gator2764
03-30-2004, 04:23 AM
The first thing I would check is the EGR valve. Did it on my 92. Only two nuts and a few vacume lines. Carbon buildup was the problem. Dealer wanted around $130 just for the part but after taking it off and cleaning it good the light has stayed off. Make sure to clean the two ports going into the intake manifold also as they were REALLY clogged up. Hope this helps. Mine had 165K on it when I did it. Does yours have high milage?

Parmenides3
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM
It's just now getting to 100K miles. Thanks for the tip. This is my favorite kind of solution: no new parts, no dependence on a mechanic, no labor charge... Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!