Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How many have had to change their fuel pump

rick0312
03-29-2004, 08:25 PM
How many people have had to replace the fuel pump in the tank on their Yukon? At how many miles? This seems to be a common and expensive problem.

antdiggy
03-31-2004, 05:13 PM
I had to have mine replaced around 42K miles
it was covered under the extended warr. I purchased

divemaster
04-05-2004, 11:30 AM
I have changed mine 4 times. I am about to change it again. I am soooo frustrated! I replace the screen each time and the damn thing only lasts 6-8 months.

Any thoughts?

d/man
04-11-2004, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=rick0312]How many people have had to replace the fuel pump in the tank on their Yukon? At how many miles? This seems to be a common and expensive problem.[/QUOTE
1 time and hope never again about 6 hours doing in on the ground with plain tools.

cvoss2000
06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Bought an 01 Denali 1 month ago and had to change it already. ($900)

GMCTech
06-22-2004, 05:39 AM
I've seen a ton of them changed.

From as low as 15k miles to 100k +. We've done so many we've got it down to a science. -Yukons 45 minutes / C/K pick-ups -under 1/2 hour.

Divemaster - Have your dealership change it with ACDelco parts!

redbull660
06-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Do they give you any warning when they are going bad or do they just quit. Also how much does an ac delco pump cost, not installed, just the part. thanks
I have a 98 gmc yukon I just bought with 90000 miles on it.

LaxYukon
06-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I just had one go out, about 85k miles. Just got back from a long trip, so I'm glad it happened in the driveway. Looking for advise on replacement on new thread.

Hagg
10-15-2004, 07:17 PM
I have a 2002 Yukon with 36000 miles on it.. I have already replaced the fuel filter once, and just recpaced the fuel pump.
I think it is a manufacturer defect, and needs to be brought to GMC's attention.

lodownlv
11-14-2004, 11:02 PM
i never had to change my fuel pump one time i have 130000 miles on my truck. use good fuel and change the fuel filter regulary

the blur
11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
how many of you changed your fuel filter on a regular basis?

I have 5 GM cars, and I change my fuel filters every 2 years, not matter how many miles I drive.

NEVER had I had a fuel pump failure. 2 of my vehicles are over 100,000 miles, some are 1989 vintage, original fuel pump...

lodownlv
11-25-2004, 05:47 PM
yup all u got to do is change your fuel filter regulary

djfred
11-30-2004, 11:01 AM
sucks right!

Mr. Peabody
12-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Yep, I had to do it also but not until AFTER my extended warranty expired at around 110K.

rgloston
12-08-2004, 09:45 AM
Someone asked the cost? Here goes:

My '02 Yukon...
Tow truck fee - $60
Fuel Pump - $290
Dealership Labor - $298
The satisfaction of shoving a golf club up the rear end of the Service Dept rep....

PRICELESS!!!

Randy II
01-05-2005, 07:10 AM
This is likely a dumb question: I've got a '96 and had fuel pump replaced at 125,000 ($750). I've also had filter replaced. I assumed pump was in the gas tank and filter is between tank and engine. Where is the other filter that everyone is referring to that would "save" my fuel pump or are my above assumptions wrong? Thanks.

Randy II

audi1031
01-05-2005, 08:20 AM
99 GMC YUKON
Mines too at 110k miles and replace fuel filter as well and as far as amount I did it my self to save hundreds of dollars and only 1.5 hrs or so

Mr. Peabody
01-05-2005, 10:19 AM
This is likely a dumb question: I've got a '96 and had fuel pump replaced at 125,000 ($750). I've also had filter replaced. I assumed pump was in the gas tank and filter is between tank and engine. Where is the other filter that everyone is referring to that would "save" my fuel pump or are my above assumptions wrong? Thanks.

Randy II

Your assumptions are correct Randy. I've got a 96 also and had to do it at 110K. Not sure what "filter" these guys are refering to as the only one that I know of is "down stream" from the pump. I'm not aware of any preventative measures we can take I think that it's just a poor quality component.

Peabody

fdrepairshop
01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
there is an update from gm, a fuel level sensor dampening kit, this seems to be real effective in not having to change the pump over and over. have a pro install it, wiring is easy but not for amateur

ck14247
01-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello Everyone,
I think I also need a new Fuel Pump (but not 100% sure). I have just under 3,000 miles on my yukon. Can anyone please tell me the signs that I need a new one.

When I first start it up and go, there is alot of hesitation then she kick in and goes, almost like she wants to stall. (Is that one of the signs?)

Thanks
Sean

Reels
01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I have read that running your tank below 1/8 tank often reduces the life of the pump. The fuel helps keep it cool as it is submerged, and when you constantly run it low, it overheats, causing life to be short. My Yukon XL has 125k on it, and never changed it. Changed the filter twice, once at 50k and once at 100K. Very seldom does it run under a 1/4

Mr. Peabody
01-12-2005, 06:19 PM
From everything that I've read REELS you are correct. Allowing the gas level to get too low allows the pump to overheat.

Randy II
01-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Hello Everyone,
I think I also need a new Fuel Pump (but not 100% sure). I have just under 3,000 miles on my yukon. Can anyone please tell me the signs that I need a new one.

When I first start it up and go, there is alot of hesitation then she kick in and goes, almost like she wants to stall. (Is that one of the signs?)

Thanks
Sean

3000 miles certainly isn't much - I would have hoped that GM would have improved the fuel pump issue since I bought my Yukon in '96, but from all the comments, they haven't bothered too. Problem I had that led to fuel pump replacement at 125,000 miles was hard starting. No code had set and "check engine" light was not on.

Randy II

tonytone
01-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Here's another stupid question--is the fuel pump in the NBS Yukon electronic or mechanical? My question isn't really related to this thread, but I ask because...on my POS '94 Nissan Sentra, the fuel pump died on me last year and I had no inkling that there may have been an issue with the fuel pump. The day it died, my car fired up just fine and dandy (no hesitation or multiple cranks of the starter needed), then later that same afternoon it wouldn't fire up at all.

99DenaliMan
01-15-2005, 01:15 AM
have read that running your tank below 1/8 tank often reduces the life of the pump. The fuel helps keep it cool as it is submerged, and when you constantly run it low, it overheats, causing life to be short. My Yukon XL has 125k on it, and never changed it. Changed the filter twice, once at 50k and once at 100K. Very seldom does it run under a 1/4
Reels u r correct. Another reason this is bad for the pump and filter/possibly even beyond that point is because obviously there is crap in everything no matter how good it is filtered- Including gas. Therefore when the pump gets low that crap in the bottom of your tank breaks up and is also running through your pump (which I imagine lubricates the pump, Honestly I have no clue though) and filter. Clogging the filter even quicker.

sprucegoose
01-15-2005, 09:32 PM
have read that running your tank below 1/8 tank often reduces the life of the pump. The fuel helps keep it cool as it is submerged, and when you constantly run it low, it overheats, causing life to be short. My Yukon XL has 125k on it, and never changed it. Changed the filter twice, once at 50k and once at 100K. Very seldom does it run under a 1/4

Yes, I believe the running the level low has to be bad for these pumps. I change the filters regularly (every year/ 20K) and never had that fail while I was driving it regularly and keeping the fuel level above 1/4. I passed the truck on to my wife as I picked up an Eldorado as my daily driver. She began her trick of draining it to to below E all the time. It failed 6 mo. after that... I rest my case!

Randy II
01-16-2005, 09:42 AM
I see many replies regarding the fuel filter on the underside of the Yukon and how changing it protects the fuel pump. I have a couple questions:

1. The only filter I am aware of on Yukons is the one between the fuel tank (where the electric fuel pump is located) and the engine. How does changing that filter protect the fuel pump as the filter is down stream of the fuel pump?

2. Am I to believe that many are dropping their fuel tanks a couple times a year and changing the screen (I assume there is one) on the fuel pump?

Randy II

Jeepin_CJ7
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I see many replies regarding the fuel filter on the underside of the Yukon and how changing it protects the fuel pump. I have a couple questions:

1. The only filter I am aware of on Yukons is the one between the fuel tank (where the electric fuel pump is located) and the engine. How does changing that filter protect the fuel pump as the filter is down stream of the fuel pump?

2. Am I to believe that many are dropping their fuel tanks a couple times a year and changing the screen (I assume there is one) on the fuel pump?

Randy II

Randy,

I believe that changing the filter puts less stress on the fuel pump in getting the fuel to the engine. When I bought my 2000 Yukon @75k miles, I changed the filter and could not blow through it. The new one that I put on should make things easier on the pump. I plan on changing it once a year.

I don't have an answer to #2 :(

P.S. I work at a tech school and our automotive instructor (many certifications) says the same thing as above about keeping at least 1/4 tank of gas in the vehicle. He drives an '02 Yukon XL.

-Alan

lodownlv
01-26-2005, 04:21 AM
finaly a 1997 yukon 130000 miles later i hate to say i had to change my fuel pump :-) i spoke too soon.

lodownlv
01-26-2005, 04:23 AM
another think the second fuel filter is the one in the tank it is connected to the fuel pump its called a skimmer.

Rogersump
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Changed my fuel pump at 149000 miles -- $801.00

walhan
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I have two solutions of fuel pump problem in YUKON &SUBERBAN
1- this will not fix the problem but it will make it easy to change the fuel pump, which is by making a hole over the fule pump and this will let you change the fuel pump in only 10 mins.
2- the secound solution and wich will fix the problem forever is to replace the pump only with landcruserVXR pump.

I hope to here from you...

bcopeland
09-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I drove from LA to Houston (1,550 miles) and right at Katy, Texas (20 miles from home) at 2:30 am the fuel pump went out. I bought a fuel pump for $120 I believe and put it in myself. It took several hours, but I always take my time.

nrisher1
09-20-2006, 07:49 AM
at about 79k it's a pain.

phat97yukon
09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Pump number 3 now for me in 2 years.... the one that was in it changed cuz the gauge was screwed... 2nd one lasted 1 year and 2 days and the 2 days was over the one year warrenty so i was fueming... than i just put in #3 bout 3 months ago, and since ive put in this one when the truck is runnin the pump makes a annoyin knockin noise, so im just waitin to drop the tank again and changin it once more.... hopefuly this time it wont be with 3/4 tank... :banghead:

rhandwor
10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I noticed when I had my shop customers who always ran on empty had many more problems than ones who kept over 1/2 tank of fuel. The fuel cools the pump in a hot climate and you aren't sucking dirt into the pump.
I also found delco pumps last longer. Some parts stores sell delco parts. Always change the strainers when doing a job and install a new fuel filter.

mad max
11-18-2006, 10:23 PM
I posted this before but it may well help some of you also:
I had a similar problem with my 97 GMC G3500 (1 ton) van. After changing the fuel pump, (I am good with electronics) it kept breaking down. I finally sent my assistant down under the truck when it was dead and found there was a harness that went from the motor to the pump and it had about a 3 foot length that had an additionl plug-in connection (probably to allow for easier tranny removal without having to go all the way to the pump to unplug it) the plug on the wires going from the main harness to the pump was along side the tranny. He played with it while the key was on and then the pump kicked in. (You can hear the buzzing until it reaches preasure) I turned off the key, cut out the damn male and female plug and heat shrinked and taped it back together. All done - untill the next guy (I ended up trading it in on a new one later) has to change the tranny! He'll have to cut it again - OH Well.
Hope this helps.

bighogtoy
11-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I have changed mine 4 times. I am about to change it again. I am soooo frustrated! I replace the screen each time and the damn thing only lasts 6-8 months.

Any thoughts?

I have replaced mine three time already and it seems like when they are new they are very quiet and after 25.000 mile down the rode they start getting loud(winding noise) it seem like the impeller inside the pump starts to ware out(rubbing) and then they just stops dead!!!.
I am sinking about going with an external pump (electric) witch will make it a bit better to replace and to rebuilt.
Best Regard.

rhandwor
11-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Even if you put in an external pump you will need a booster pump in the fuel tank. The bosch fuel pumps for a volvo 929 are about the same pressure. A friend got a used one at the yard and got over 150,000 on it. This was on his volvo. He paid $10.00 for it.

Denalix5
12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
So the consensus seems to be not to let your tank go below 1/4 tank and change your fuel filter at least every two years.

bighogtoy
12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Recently I notice that my truck in the early morning for the first TWO or THREE miles when I am coming to a stop just about a complete stop (second gear dropping to 1) the ABS kicks in or activates rather very litter like if one of the front tires just went over a block of ice and also I am not even moving fast, when I step on the brake pedal the ABS activates and the pedal starts to pulsate and I can hear the ABS pump running.
Anyone have any idea or maybe have or had this problem before.
Thank you.
:banghead: :screwy:

Shantrane
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Got mine changed at 95k, Cost 900 at the dealer.

cctech13
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I had to change my fuel pump at about 100k. sucks getting the tank off with a full tank of gas, very heavy. The new pump only lasted about 15k miles and was out of warranty by a couple of weeks, one year warranty on a new pump. I cut a hole in the floor to have a easy access panel for changing it in the future. It only toke me 10 mins to change it, the second time. This is something the factory should do to all trucks with fuel pumps in the tank. Also make sure you don't get any dirt in the tank, that is probably why my 2nd pump gave out. :)

atlantis_my
03-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a 2002 Yukon and I had the dealer change mines at 70k miles. Labor $500 and Parts $500. The idle was rough and RPM was changing.

kool whip
03-24-2007, 03:03 PM
hi all :smokin: yukon denali 01

I had to change mine at 62,450 miles .It gave me no warning at all just lose power and started to sputter and stalled out.It cost me $ 1145.68. to get it repaired at the dealership. :frown:Hurt my pocket "but had to get it done,,hope it dosen't happen again.:shakehead talk with u again////// thank u for listening

(now i'm broke as a joke)

suren
03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I have two solutions of fuel pump problem in YUKON &SUBERBAN
1- this will not fix the problem but it will make it easy to change the fuel pump, which is by making a hole over the fule pump and this will let you change the fuel pump in only 10 mins.
2- the secound solution and wich will fix the problem forever is to replace the pump only with landcruserVXR pump.

I hope to here from you...

That is very good suggestion.
But how you align the hole in the body so that it is drilled just above the
fuel pump.

And how much landcruse cost compare to yukon fuel pump.

borninski
03-28-2007, 03:56 AM
1996 GMC Yukon GT (350ci)
Changed fuel pump for first time @ 130,000mi.

rhandwor
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Use a small angle drill and drill a small hole from underneath the vehicle where you want to cut the hole. Then use a hole saw the size you want. Be very careful. You can cut the fuel line going to the pump if not careful. You can use a skill saw with a metal blade set the depth to a 1/4 inch. Some people use a reciprocating saw with a short blade. After the pump is replaced use self tapping bolts and attach a metal cover over the hole then replace the floor mats.

woody6725
04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
i had to replace mine at 96000 miles. pump cost me 250 and the labor was 150. also did the filter to keep everything flowing good.

walhan
05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
suren, sorry for long delay reply,
for the first question I think "rhandwor" give a good answer,
for the second the price of landcruser pump about 150$.

borninski
07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
1996 Yukon GT
Currently: 136,500mi
Fuel pump failed: approx. 134,000mi
Cost: approx. $600 incl. OEM pump, fuel filter replace, and labor.

Important lessons learned:
It's all about preventative maintenance. Change fuel filter once a year--it's very little money compared to another huge repair bill. Also, don't continually let your gas tank get below 1/3 or 1/4 full...the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in which it sits, so what do you think happens when the gas tank gets bone dry? The pumps is heating up and the motor burns up when it's running dry. In addition, when you get into your Yukon to start it up, turn the key to ON (don't start it immediately) and wait 4-6 seconds before actually cranking it up. This allows the fuel pump to prime and prolongs the life of the pump that you just spent hundreds of dollars replacing.
Hope that helps.

-Borninski

suren
07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
suren, sorry for long delay reply,
for the first question I think "rhandwor" give a good answer,
for the second the price of landcruser pump about 150$.

Thanks walhan and rhandwor for your insight. I do not have a fuel pump problem now but want to get ready in case I have to change the pump.

Jack Duggan
07-20-2007, 10:15 AM
On my '01 Yukon the pump went out at about 85K miles, way up in the boondocks on a deer hunting trip. Cost; $125. for towing, $750. to replace the pump and to make it worse, NO DEER.
Anyway, when you are standing near the rear of the car and the pump starts to sing to you, don't hesitate, change it.

Jack Duggan

Taigon
07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
I just changed mine for the third time.
I put in an Airtex pump, under warranty from Carquest.
I tested the fuel pressure right after replacing the pump.
56 psi.
Spec is between 60 and 66 psi for the 350 engine.
Anyone had a similar experience.
I am thinking the problem could be related to the fuel pressure regulator located underneath the SFI injection and throttle body assembly.

master1printer
10-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Retired GM tech told me gm recomends changing fuel filters every eight thousand miles on yukon suburban and pick up. Said this is a new recomendation due to alarming numbers of fuel pump replaicements on vehihicles still under warranty.

maxwedge
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Final post in this thread, getting old.

Add your comment to this topic!