1996 Dodge caravan 3.3 Gauges not working

gasjake
03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
My 1996 Caravan gauges do not work at all. I have checked the fuse(s), and thay are all fine.
The rest of the van works just fine. The fuel, temp,tach, and speed gauges do not work. The odo does not show up either. What can o do?
Thanks in advance.

shiNer45
03-30-2004, 01:37 PM
hi there i have a 2000 caravan that had this same problem a year ago, i took mine to a dealer in my area who is excellent, after buying a body computer ($250) and some other stuff,i have the 2000 model which may or may not be totally the same now heres what i had to do::
remove the A/C panel, radio panel cover after having to remove the ashtray/coin tray, on this panel u will find a few wire harnesses that plug into it, the problem is one of the harnesses wires, im not sure which one yours will be but turn the car on when u do this and start to wiggle the wires one by one pushing them in towards the harness, soon enough your dash will lite up again. my dealer told me u can try to find the same part which is hard and u have to goto the junkyard , but what i do is simply this, and once u get it all working tape the wires up so they dont move as much, i have to do this about every 3 months or so, but it really sucks in the summer when the air controls goto default which is defrost low heat on mine anyway, yours maybe different because of the year but i would look here first before u bring it in,
email me @ kcrawman@hotmail.com to let me know how u made out and if it worked id be interested to hear.
my van now the speedometer wont show me how fast im going sometime and my high beams dont work, im thingking it has something to do with this wiring harness because it is intermittent but the high beams have no power to the fuses,

good luck with all that

gasjake
03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Well i went the local dealer. They called me and told me it was the Gauge cluster that was bad and it would ONLY be $430 parts $100 labor + tax to replace.
I told them i could not afford it, and would pick up the van. When i got to the dealer they told me that they were able to fix the problem for a temp fix, but that it MIGHT go out again.
They did not tell me this until I told them no on the replacement. I now have a working guage cluster for only the $65 diagnostic fee.
TWO things here, they could have told me that the temp fix BEFORE the $530 price, That way if it went out again I MIGHT have gone back to them to get it fixed. Now they will NEVER get my business because I feel they tried to get the $ from me w/o the option.
Maybe it was not a bad cluster, and maybe it was I'll never know..

shiNer45
03-31-2004, 09:00 PM
hey what was the temp fix?

what exactly did they do to get ti going again, did they tell u so u can do it yourself if u have to?

gasjake
04-01-2004, 09:05 AM
hey what was the temp fix?

what exactly did they do to get ti going again, did they tell u so u can do it yourself if u have to?

That is the thing, they said it was done with the diagnostic computer.
I will have to search for a more honest dealer, fortunatly I live in a city with 5-6 dealers that can service dodge caravans.

scottw
04-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Mine goes out from time to time but I can always get it back.
Try this, go to the fuse box under the hood, there is a 10 amp fuse all the way to the right (furthest from front bumper) labelled memory IOD or something like that. Pull it out, and put it back in.
I have no idea what IOD stands for but it fixes my dead panel every time.

gasjake
04-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Mine goes out from time to time but I can always get it back.
Try this, go to the fuse box under the hood, there is a 10 amp fuse all the way to the right (furthest from front bumper) labelled memory IOD or something like that. Pull it out, and put it back in.
I have no idea what IOD stands for but it fixes my dead panel every time.

Thank you I will try it.
Does anyone know exactly what this fuse is for?

slandrs
05-10-2004, 12:20 PM
My 89 Caravan is sending what appears to be false alarms with the temperature gauge running to hot and the Check Gauges indicator flashing and then falling to 3/4 toward hot in a matter of a couple of seconds. Today the fuel gauge showed empty with the Fuel Low indicator ON and then suddenly showed a more correct 3/4 tank.

I do have some cooling system issues with the fact that I cannot get a good amount of heat into the cabin through the temperature control of the HVAC system. I've replaced the radiator, some hoses, thermostat, etc. When I manually try to operate the heater valve at the firewall I get little to no change in the air temperature.

I'd like to get the dependability factor back up to a level that I can trust this vehicle to the rest of my family, especially for longer trips. Have any of you any recommendations. Thank you in advance. slandrs

crash8168
05-13-2004, 12:13 AM
I will tell you what the temp fix was. They disconnected the battery. The display has a habit of locking up on that model. Except it may never do it again.

LunchBoxDon
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I have a 98 Grand Caravan with the same problem. I tried the Battery disconnect and the memory IOD fixes and ...NOTHING.

I also get the ABS light on consistantly.

Any other ideas?

/d

25trigger
05-21-2004, 01:33 PM
i have had just about everything electronic go wrong with mine and i have come to the conclusion that it is the relays in the panel under the dash. I've had ABS, horn, radio, door locks, interior lights, ETC!! all have problems. I have bee able to remedy it each time by replacing the relays under the dash.

asotovx
06-15-2004, 12:15 AM
My 2000 gr. caravan have the same problems described above, Iam already did the fuse thing, conect reconect the battery even replaced the bcm
same problem I about to replace the gauge cluster , I"ll let you know....

scottw
06-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Thank you I will try it.
Does anyone know exactly what this fuse is for?

I found out that IOD stands for ignition off draw.

familyvan
06-27-2004, 08:53 PM
To the original post of this thread. The dash is not working because there is a short. Go to this thread...http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210076.. His fix seems to work.

housetwofull
04-11-2006, 02:21 AM
I have a 98 dodge caravan with the gauges not working. It started that the gauges would intermittently work. Then the door locks would click open and shut. Then the lights went out. Then the windshield wipers. Then all of the above stopped working completely. No one could figure it out. Thank heavens for these forums. The IOD fuse fixed my van. I did what they said but it took two times for it to work. First I took the IOD fuse out. Which is located next to the battery in that fuse box all the way in the back, little red fuse, close to where the battery wires enter the fuse box. Then I disconnected the battery and cleaned the posts. Waited ten minutes and the replaced the fuse, then reconnected the battery. When this didn't work I tried again. This time replacing the fuse in additiom to everything else. To my amazement it now works. What a cheap fix. Definately worth a try. Thank you to the ones who posted this originally.

pentabob
04-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi you guys,
if it is not the IOD fuse fix this may help, i posted this on AllPar, now back on this site again,
been there done that, tons of us have:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/...d.php?p=2015820
or if you look around on automotive forums.com (between this site and that site you'll find just about everything, they are both super) you will see MANY threads concerning the same issue,
in fact it is a bad solder joint on the instrument cluster where the main connector plugs in, on inspection all looks fine but when you apply a touch of heat to re-solder you'll find it is more of a solder bubble rather than a good connection / joint, the fix is to either pull the cluster yourself and re-solder or have the cluster repaired. and as usual Daimler knows nothing of this problem either!!!(BS), and the dealers are more then happy to replace computer after computer to try to correct, of course to no avail!
If you go to automotiveforums.com and search for posts by me you may find most of the threads faster as i dealt with this particular subject first hand, and as you will see many of us have
when i had mine apart i took some pics and my wife let me put them on her website (thats how many times this issue comes up) anyway her site and the pics are at:
http://www.ingriddijkers.com
go to the "links" page and near the bottom on the left side will be a link to "caravan pics", there is some text in there as i was working with another guy, so ignore the name of course.
i know first hand how frustrating this one can get, the van will decide to act up at the most un-opportune times,
best of luck,
keep in touch,
Bob White
plymouth, mi

vipergg
04-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Go under the dash in the fuse center and find the IOD fuse near the top of the center and pull that for like 2 minutes and reinstall , this will reset the bcm and will fix this problem a lot of times.

Stevo2
04-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Some clusters may have bad solder joints where the big wiring plugs are attached. It appears that there are either cold solder joints, insufficient solder or too much mechanical stress at these locations.

taskrov
06-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I had the same problem. The solution was to take out the panel and resolder all connections. As ther last poster said, there were cold solder joins on these. They are hard to spot, so just redo them all. It fixed my problems.
Good luck.

vipergg
06-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Well i went the local dealer. They called me and told me it was the Gauge cluster that was bad and it would ONLY be $430 parts $100 labor + tax to replace.
I told them i could not afford it, and would pick up the van. When i got to the dealer they told me that they were able to fix the problem for a temp fix, but that it MIGHT go out again.
They did not tell me this until I told them no on the replacement. I now have a working guage cluster for only the $65 diagnostic fee.
TWO things here, they could have told me that the temp fix BEFORE the $530 price, That way if it went out again I MIGHT have gone back to them to get it fixed. Now they will NEVER get my business because I feel they tried to get the $ from me w/o the option.
Maybe it was not a bad cluster, and maybe it was I'll never know..
The dealer is full of you know what . This is a common problem with this era van . A lot of times this can be fixed by simply pulling the IOD which basically resets the BCM . This happened to mine like 4 years ago , pulled the IOD and have never seen the problem again . Also make sure to keep your battery connections cleaned along with the inside of the battery cables , these vans are very fussy about poor connections.

cowboychilitoo
07-03-2006, 11:04 AM
After jump starting my 1991 Caravan (interior lights left on for two days, battery completely dead), I found that neither the dashboard instruments nor the trip computer worked. Also, the seatbelt/lights warning chime did not work, and the door lock button would unlock the doors but not lock them. I found your website and tried some of the quick fixes. Pounding on the dash did nothing; neither did fiddling with the fuses. I disconnected the battery, left it alone for half and hour, reconnected it, and like magic, everything works just fine once again! Thanks for the good advice and the cheap fix.

donerite
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
on my 97 caravan had same problem I took ouit cluster , removed the carboard on back , then remove the greemn board out of the cluster, leaving it attached at the flat wire. You will see the main conector female ( you would of removed the male end when you took cluster out of van ( red plug )

Where the connecter attaches the green board flip the board over so you can see the pins comming through . Look carefully at the solder joints .That is where i saw one cracked . All i did then was use a fine tip hand soldering iron ( really cheap to by may be 15 dollars ) Heating up solder ,it took a while for it to melt but i just kept the iron on it and kept moving it arounduntill the solder melted and reformed its self around pin . I took the cluster back to van and reinstaled it and wha la it work . I was quite surprise myself , something that small and easy to do would stop the van from starting. If you need help on it just leave me a message . doneritepainting@rogers .com
hope this helps
iput it back so fast that i forgot to take pics sorry

djswitzer
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I had the same issue and tried to resolder the cluster with no effect, also replaced the BCM with no change. First I had already tried the fuse and even disconnecting the battery for a while, no change.

After everything it turned out to be the middle A/C cluster. I removed it (4 screws, 2 at top and 2 behind little plastic face plate above the cup holders) and checked the three connectors. The middle one had one of the pins BLACK as if it had been shorted at some point. I cleaned it up and made sure it was getting a connection and all seems to be fine for now.

Hope this helps someone.

rraamm2
04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I had the same trouble with my 2000 Caravan.I also found a burnt wire in the plug behind the AC/panel.As soon as I disconected the plug everything worked.Thanks to this forum I am a happy Caravan owner again.

boufarik
05-14-2008, 02:33 AM
i had the same problem, dealer told me BCM but the problem was the ac panel, disconected the plug and it work fine now, dont go to the dealer.

bruynca
09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
My son bought new minivan and gave me 2001 Dodge Caravan which was not working. Would not start and when boosted Panel and guages did not work. As posted above disconnected battery for 1/2 hour, cleaned terminals and reset IOD fuse. Everything worked after that. Thanks for advice.

drum4Him
04-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Had a similar problem with my 3.3 98 Grand Caravan, with flickering panel light, intermittent gauges and with an ABS light on. Read on a forum that a 300 ohm resistor on the Body Control Module circuit board would open causing the whole problem. I yanked out the BCM from under the dash, and found the reistor on the back side of the circuit board. This was a surface mount board, so the resistor was tiny and the value (301) had to be found with magnification. Replaced the resistor with any off the shelf 300 ohm resistor, and the van fired right up. 100 miles later, the only problem since has been a service engine light that has lit up. Will take it to a shop for that...

Airjer_
04-22-2009, 01:04 AM
The first thing I do is whack the dash. If it starts working I know that there is a pretty good chance the solder joints are cracked where the main connector is soldered to the circuit board. If it doesn't come back to life I check the fuses if there o.k. the I pull the cluster and check for power and ground at the connector. In this case it was a pink wire and red with white. Both had power and the ground, black with green, was fine.

With the cluster on the bench you'll need to remove the cardboard backer and then all the screws that hold the circuit board in place. Unplug the ribbon style harness that plugs into the circuit board. Then gently remove the circuit board from the cluster and flip it over.

Carefully look at the thirteen main connector solder joints (to the left of the screwdriver).
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/airjer/clusterfull.jpg

If you see any that are cracked or look like there is a ring around them there's a pretty good chance you found the problem. This one happens to be the main ground for the cluster.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/airjer/clusterzoom.jpg
If you look carefully you'll can see a very thin black line where the joint has failed. A quick resolder of this joint and it was good as new!

RIP
04-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Had a similar problem with my 3.3 98 Grand Caravan, with flickering panel light, intermittent gauges and with an ABS light on. Read on a forum that a 300 ohm resistor on the Body Control Module circuit board would open causing the whole problem. I yanked out the BCM from under the dash, and found the reistor on the back side of the circuit board. This was a surface mount board, so the resistor was tiny and the value (301) had to be found with magnification. Replaced the resistor with any off the shelf 300 ohm resistor, and the van fired right up. 100 miles later, the only problem since has been a service engine light that has lit up. Will take it to a shop for that...

Many times a fix for a SE light is much easier than what it took to fix your BCM. Do the key dance to get the code and come on back. Autozone will connect a scanner and read the code for free in most states.

sdbiggreen94
07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
To the original post of this thread. The dash is not working because there is a short. Go to this thread...http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210076.. His fix seems to work.
thx for the link it really helped alot my van just started doing this and i will try the whacking the dasboard repair.

sprucebingsteen
07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
i had the same problem a few years ago ... no gauges, no signals, and my odometer was about 50 clicks fewer. I just bought a new battery and it has been fine since.

Alphabravo
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM

HAHA That's a good solution.
Put your best Hindu accent on this, "What do you do when your guages do not work? You 'Bang-la-Desh'!!"

Please, no offense meant to folks of Indian descent.

gravejacked
01-17-2010, 12:21 AM
This is a fuse for the memory of the computers in the van, mainly the PCM and BCM. Instead of pulling that fuse try hitting the top of the dash, this should bring the gauges back. I have a 96 voyager and mine does it all the time. I have traced it down to a bad connection in the pins to the cluster or in the cluster itself. Still working on getting my fixed.

ninesevenvert
02-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a 99 and when my odometer and prnd3l go blank, I go to the pcm under the hood and wiggle the main connectors (around 45 pins each).. whatever my problem is, it is due to one or more of the pins not making connection- it has done this 3 times since late last year. First time I removed the pcm and disconnected the battery for 8 hrs (read on a convertible forum-resets pcm completely). When I reconnected it worked (the pcm controls the grounds -1st time was a pia- starter wouldn't work-relay lost ground and no fire), it does have a serial or version number- so that you can replace it....most wrecking yards should know this. I found mine for around $100, although mine is in one of the pins (possibly wire to female connector i'm guessing as this would make a difference when I wiggle the wires).

Add your comment to this topic!