Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 ford explorer keypad

zorin
03-29-2004, 06:35 PM
I just purchased a 1998 ford explorer sport. It has the keypad entry feature but i dont know how to program it. Can anyone help me out?

istby
05-02-2004, 07:38 AM
I just bought my 97 explorer and had the same problem. You can't re-program your keypad until you know the original code. To get the original code you need to access the controller, which is located in the rear of the vehicle, drivers side. Pull out the side panel where the jack is located. You should see a small silver box up towards the front of the vehicle. It is difficult to get to but the original code for the door pad is listed on the front of it. Then you can use the code to re-program your keypad

istby
05-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Ok, after re-reading the message I am guessing that my first post was not what you wanted. So I went and scanned in my owners manual that has the instructions in it. After cleaning it up a bit here are the instructions from a 97 Explorer.
__________________________________________________ _
KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED)
You can lock or unlock the vehicle doors without using a key by using the drivers door keypad.
See also Remote entry system (if equipped in this chapter.)
The computer code that operates the keyless system is located on your owner’s wallet card found in the glove compartment
When any button on the driver’s door keypad is pressed the system will:
• turn on the interior lights for approximately 25 seconds and
• light up keypad controls for five seconds.
Do not push the control keypad with any hard object that could damage the controls.
Locking the doors with the keyless entry system
To lock all the doors, press the 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. It is not necessary to first enter the keypad code.
Unlocking the doors with the keyless entry system
The driver door must be unlocked before any other. If more than five seconds pass between pressing numbers, enter the code again. The system has shut down if the keypad light is out. If the keyless entry system does not work, use the key or remote entry transmitter(s).
1. To unlock the driver door, enter one of the two codes. After pressing the fifth number, the driver door unlocks.
2. To unlock the passenger door(s) and liftgate, press the ¾ button within five seconds of unlocking the driver door.

Programming your own entry code
This code does not replace the permanent code from the dealership.
To program your own code:
1. Select five digits for your personal code
2. Enter the permanent code that the dealership gave you.
3. Within five seconds, press 1/2.
4. Within five seconds of pressing 1/2, enter your personal code,
5. Pressing each digit within five seconds of the previous digit.
You can now use either code. The system remembers only one personal code at a time.
To erase your personal code:
1. Enter the original permanent code.
2. Press 1/2 within five seconds of step one.

becks1970
01-31-2005, 10:14 AM
I have recently also purchased a 1998 ford explorer Sport and have no clue where to locate the keypad code, I am wondering if anyone out there can help us out? I purchased the vehicle with no manual and also have found no wallet card in it! Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out!

punmaster7
02-03-2005, 08:18 AM
It's in the same place as the '97. Look at the second post above.

I have recently also purchased a 1998 ford explorer Sport and have no clue where to locate the keypad code, I am wondering if anyone out there can help us out? I purchased the vehicle with no manual and also have found no wallet card in it! Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out!

Add your comment to this topic!