Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 chevy blazer whinning noise from fuel tank area

browntruck
03-29-2004, 07:28 PM
I have a 97 s series blazer making a loud whinning noise from what seems to be from the fuel tank area. What could this be? The fuel pump going out? I know the pump always makes a slight whinning noise, but this is a whole lot louder that normal.

www451oa
03-31-2004, 01:14 AM
Sounds like your fuel pump. No do you get your gas from the cheapest no-name gas station around, or do you buy from a name brand dealer? If the gas you bough had some foreign substance in it, it could cause the pump to have problems.

I had bought super cheap gas from a no name station once, my engine ran horrible and I had some water in my fuel. After that, I went back to my reputable dealer and have had no problems.

Try running a bottle of good fuel system cleaner. Expect to pay around $10.00.

On other thing. Have you backed over any 8 year olds lately? They can get jammed up around your gas tank. If this is your problem, grab the strap on their pokemon backpack, and give 'em a good yank. it should remove them. This will also cause a whining sound from your tank area.

TopDogg
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Does the noise get louder the longer its running? Next time it gets loud keep the truck running and open the gas tank cap. If it calms down your tank isnt venting and the pump has to suck harder.

browntruck
03-31-2004, 11:13 PM
how do i get it to vent if that is the problem?

TopDogg
04-01-2004, 10:31 AM
first you should drive it for awhile long enough to ude about a gallon of gas. If it is whinning then open the gas cap and you might here air being sucked INTO the tank. If its the case then air is not replacing used fuel and the pump is actualy pumping in the sides of the tank. My Camaro did this. There will be a valve under the truck near the tank connected to the tank by a hose. CHeck that first.

plant
04-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Its definately your fuel pump mine is the same as is all others. Its no problem

Add your comment to this topic!