Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats the best car for a good sleeper (10k'ish)

Pages : [1] 2

live2roll
03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
okay so i have way to many problems with my bmw right now since it has many exterior mods (body kit, rims, all the goodies) and i get way to much attention that i dont need. so im sellin it and gettin a new car and keepin it pretty much stock on the exterior but heavily modding the engine. off the bat i have about 9-10k for the car itself and im looking for an import type car (i.e. prelude, tiburon, gti, etc...). i want the car to be one that i can heavily mod and that you guys think i can get a large amount of power from and what you guys recommend doing to it. if this makes any sense then let me know what you think. pretty much just what car i should get (used of course b/c i only have 10k off the bat for the car) and then what kind of mods you suggest i do to get max power and have a really good sleeper. i already know alot about cars i just cant decide and wanted some outside opinions..thanx all

MR2Driver
03-30-2004, 09:13 AM
If you want an import to get "large amonts of power from" you're going to have to look into the Turbocharged ones. Most of which fall just above 10 grand...

If you're going to get huge gains on the origional engine, chances are, its a fast import to start with and not a sleeper at all, but here are some ideas for ya.

1. MR2 Turbo (anywhere from 4k to 10k+)
2. 300ZX TT (Hopefully you can find one cheap)
3. Supra (MKIII w/ your budget)
4. RX-7 (FC3S w/ your budget)
5. 3000GT VR-4 (Out of your pricerange)
6. 1G DSM's (Very cheap, cheap to make very fast, not very reliable or as attractive as the others tho)

Zwrangler
03-31-2004, 02:25 AM
well all the cars Lachean listed are awesome and all but i can't see a single on of them being a sleeper......

Don't know if this is possible within your budget in the U.S. but my friends have done the following here to their cars with less than $10,000 :

1. 1980's corolla with a twin turbo supra engine in it :iceslolan
2. 1989 crx, looks completely stock on the outside but is running a type R integra engine. :icon16:
3. supercharged V6 lumina. looks like a family car till you hear the whistle of the supercharger when he gets on the engine. :evillol:

All these were done with less than U.S.$ 10K spent on the mods and car itself.

aznxthuggie
04-01-2004, 01:13 AM
well from what i know.. most people jus get a honda civic, almost any year except the new ones, and u can import a jdm integra type R engine or a b16c? into it.. the type r engine has 200hp, the b16c has 185hp, they both cost around $3-4k, and for a car that weight jus a lil over a ton, thats pretty fast already, and you shouldn't throw a turbo in a b series engine, they dont really mix well, but then again i've seen it done before

OR

u can get a 240sx, and all the 240s over here in the US have 155hp BUT then you can also import a jdm sr20dett/det engine or a ca18det engine the sr20 from the s15 silvia will cost like $5000 for the engine and the swap, but it makes 255hp and its a twin turbo 4 banger i think.. the ca18det makes liek 175hp and it runs 7 psi of boost

if those aren't enough for you then you should also get NOS, but i had friends that have blown their engines using nos, and i seriously dont think you should use nos unless u REALLY need it

hm im not sure what else there is as a sleeper, because any other car like.. wrx/evo n stuff like that already have over 200hp so its not really a sleeper.. o yea also this one funny thing ive seen before, this guy has a honda odessey, its a friggin minivan, and it makes like 240hp stock, he pushed it to 300hp all motor, and then turboed it, and in the end the car made around 360-380hp, it was at some import show

MR2Driver
04-02-2004, 04:06 PM
You honestly think he wants to go from a BMW to a B18 Hatch? And did you say the SR20 was Twin Turbo? Im sorry....

Either way man, since you havent replied to what I said earlier I take it you're still torn, but must people dont deviate from what they origionally said so I say go with the GTI, either 1.8T or VR6

aznxthuggie
04-04-2004, 04:12 AM
hm looks like i was wrong =X

deadlight
04-04-2004, 11:05 AM
The only good sleepers I know are domestics

Buick GN
Pontiac GTP
Ford Taurus SHO
GMC Syclone/Typhoon
Spirit R/T

True sleepers tend to be more of an American thing if you're talking stock, of these I know the GTP responds well to mods, and the GN...well, it doesn't really need them :D The Syclone/Typhoon have the same engine I believe, I'd imagine you could have fun with a Spirit R/T, they are turbo'd after all, and the SHO you can't do too terribly much with. I know this doesn't give you any suggestions leaning towards imports but I honestly can't think of any, everything's been done to Honda's, so a swap wouldn't catch anybody by surprise. If I had to give you a choice for a "sleeper" I guess I'd have to go Tiburon, I haven't seen too many of those real quick yet, but a shaved badge GTI with different wheels would probably be an excellent choice. Seeing as how they range from everything from VR6 to Diesel power.

rxcutioner7
04-04-2004, 08:01 PM
there is one import, which is four doors and a hyundai, but it has the PERFECT sleeper chassy. BTW, it's 14 yrs old.....a Hyundai Excel...haha a joke right, heck no, my friend has one and he put the 4g63t in it, which is from the 90-94 Eclipse or early 90's Galant VR4. It is almost a direct swap, bc the Hyundai uses basically the same engine and tranny except the Hyundai engine is a 1.5 instead of 2.0.....that way you have the family look with a turbocharged 4 banger power plant.....my buddy's is lightly modded and he runs 12's with the stock Mitsubishi turbo. I know you dont want to go from a M3 to an old hyundai but hey you asked whats a good sleeper....and it took my friend about $2500 for the whole project....hey that's about $7500 to modify the hell outta it.

chevydrummer76
04-05-2004, 01:50 AM
there is one import, which is four doors and a hyundai, but it has the PERFECT sleeper chassy. BTW, it's 14 yrs old.....a Hyundai Excel...haha a joke right, heck no, my friend has one and he put the 4g63t in it, which is from the 90-94 Eclipse or early 90's Galant VR4. It is almost a direct swap, bc the Hyundai uses basically the same engine and tranny except the Hyundai engine is a 1.5 instead of 2.0.....that way you have the family look with a turbocharged 4 banger power plant.....my buddy's is lightly modded and he runs 12's with the stock Mitsubishi turbo. I know you dont want to go from a M3 to an old hyundai but hey you asked whats a good sleeper....and it took my friend about $2500 for the whole project....hey that's about $7500 to modify the hell outta it.

12's with 2500 total??? I'd have to seem some proof to believe that.

Zwrangler
04-05-2004, 03:21 AM
exactly, 12's for 2500 sounds ridiculous. I gotta see this too.

96berettakid
04-05-2004, 04:47 PM
The only good sleepers I know are domestics

GMC Syclone/Typhoon

I like this idea, I never would have thought of it.

Boss San
04-05-2004, 05:00 PM
You could easily go out and find a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf GTi from anywhere from $50-3000 (depending on how much work you want to put into it) and then stuff a 1.8T in it.
You could mod the shit out of it before you hit $10k. Paint it a subtle colour, white or brown, even primer looks great on 'em. You got 'yerself a bonafied sleeper to eat up Porsche's and whatever else get's in the way.

Boss San
04-05-2004, 05:07 PM
12's with 2500 total??? I'd have to seem some proof to believe that.

I'd believe that. Read Grassroots Motorsports when they do the $2004 Challenge (the money you use is that of the year). Like the SHOgun Festiva, or the smallblock V8 Miata.
People do in fact use there brains to make power instead of money sometimes.

deadlight
04-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Wait, does this Hyundai have the intercooler poking out of the hood? I may have seen this in some videos, did it beat a Ram SRT-10?

calgary_redneck
04-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Buy a 6 cyl nova and stuff a 454 in there and leave the steal wheels and 6 cyl trim. Don't be tempted by any of that jap garbage

Splinter
04-07-2004, 05:46 AM

haha....i can't say i've ever heard of an excel being used as a sleeper...personally i'm not a big fan of excel's..but, m likeing the specs on that one

And replying to the initial quote...someone mentioned already that the plain old corolla makes a pretty good sleeper project to work on..and, i agree withe them :P.very reliable cars, easy to work on...extra parts easy to find, usually cheaper than alot of others
a few of my frends have worked using corolla's (early 80's models)...they have a really good sleeper effect too (which i presume is wat ur lookin for)

Boss San
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
It's almost too easy too make sleepers you can put a smallblock in anything.
Go get a Volvo 240GL wagon (any old Volvo would do) and stuff a V8 in it.
Instant sleeper. :sleep:

JDM3.0SuPrA
04-13-2004, 05:50 PM
corolla ae86 turbo...

JDM3.0SuPrA
04-13-2004, 05:53 PM
better yet..a dodge omni GLH-S (turbo)...175 at the crank and nobody knows :)...shit will TEAR ASS!!

deadlight
04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think you just need to buy a Civic that looks riced out as hell. I've never seen a fast one, all the fast ones to be real clean, without anything overdone. If you put APC and shit all over it nobody will expect an H22A under the hood.

xXRyCe_R0CkEtXx
04-22-2004, 10:54 AM
u sure it was ur friend.....cuz that was in sport compact car...LOL. but it is the perfect sleeper ^_^

xXRyCe_R0CkEtXx
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
corolla ae86 turbo...
yea actually i think that would make the best sleeper. nvm about the hyundai AE86 is the best!!!!! heh ^_^

-Josh-
04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
How about a LeSabre T-Type with the L67 swap. Which pretty much is the plans for my car.

Filthy Sanchez
04-27-2004, 04:04 AM
I've seen a Hyundai with the Mitsu engine and thought that was great. Even though I don't like front drive it was a clean deal simple paint job (but good) nice rims all engine good stuff. Someone said 5.0 Miata (not really a sleeper) too much attention. The point is a car that won't draw attention, the SHO powered Festiva is a good one. A small block Volvo is good as well, how about an early Nissan (or Datsun) pick up with a 300Z twin turbo V6? Does anyone know if a Supra engine will fit in a Toyota T100? If you're not totally stuck on the idea of an import how about a Licoln Mark VIII with a mustang cobra engine? (actually too expensive) Here's a good one find a 70's VW rabbit and drop in a GTI driveline! A Mazda B2000 (pre ranger model) with a 13B would be good as well. One of my personal favorites a first gen Mazda 323 (rear drive) with a 13B! Not sure if this counts a Fiat X19 with VTEC Honda power.

emo236
04-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Another idea, is what I'm doing. Get a datsun 240,260, or 280Z and do the V8 conversion. 240's are a little more rare and to find one with no rust can be a little more expensive tahn you may want. The 280s are the most plentiful and cheapest. You can get a used SBC 302 or 350 for pretty cheap and swap it in.

emo236
04-30-2004, 06:06 PM
also, the S10 V8 swap..jaguar V8 swap...tehy're endless. With the Z, you also have options. you can fit pretty quite a bit in there. I've seen 2JZ, RB, SR, VG, etc etc swaps into the 240-280z. Look into it. Or yet another idea, is a bug. If you can get a porsche motor for cheap at say a junkyard then it swaps in nicely into a bug, it flys. Instant 12 sec car. Same with most of the above mentioned depeding on waht motor you're swapping in .

Filthy Sanchez
05-01-2004, 12:00 PM
also, the S10 V8 swap..jaguar V8 swap...tehy're endless. With the Z, you also have options. you can fit pretty quite a bit in there. I've seen 2JZ, RB, SR, VG, etc etc swaps into the 240-280z. Look into it. Or yet another idea, is a bug. If you can get a porsche motor for cheap at say a junkyard then it swaps in nicely into a bug, it flys. Instant 12 sec car. Same with most of the above mentioned depeding on waht motor you're swapping in .

Only problem there is that a 240, 260, or 280Z isn't really a sleeper, it's a great combo and a mean streeter but people kinda see it coming. S10 and Ranger V8 swaps are still kind of a sleeper though. I saw a Chevette with a 350 V8 swap (until then I didn't even know that they were rear drive?) and he walked a corvette with no problem. A pretty good sleeper combo there.

oldbluecelica
05-01-2004, 02:09 PM
i'd go with a '96 impala
plenty of power to tap

Polygon
05-01-2004, 07:04 PM
better yet..a dodge omni GLH-S (turbo)...175 at the crank and nobody knows :)...shit will TEAR ASS!!

Wow, usually I'm the one suggesting the TDs. I would agree that there is no better sleeper for the money. You can find TDs pretty cheap, they have a bullet proof drivetrain, and you can be in the 12s for around $1,200 and lower ETs aren't far behind. Despite what most people think, they also handle pretty damn good.

Filthy Sanchez
05-02-2004, 12:41 AM
i'd go with a '96 impala
plenty of power to tap

A lot of people expect power from an Impala, then again what about a plane Jane Caprice?

Janet Reno
05-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Yeah! Refined engines, great handling and reliability..what were those Japs thinking!!!

Filthy Sanchez
05-02-2004, 01:39 AM
How about a Yugo with a VTEC, MITSU, or ZETEC powerplant!?

CamaroSSBoy346
05-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Datsun 510 4 door. End.

Or, if you do decide to go domestic, go with a Lincoln. Yes, a Lincoln. Think about this for a second, the Mark VIII LSC, 32V Intech V8 4Cam (Yes, the SVT Cobra Engine..), and just weighs 200 or so more lbs then an LS1 Camaro SS. Yeahup. And basically anything that fits on the Mustang Cobra/GT will go on the Lincoln Intech. Or, even the Mark VII LSC. 225HP 5.0 HO (Mustang GT Engine, still, 87-93 GT Bolt on parts will go right on the engine in the Lincoln) Or, a Thunderbird, (Like I'm Doing). Basically a Mark VIII..just a little more plain jane and minus 75 HP..lol

Filthy Sanchez
05-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Datsun 510 4 door. End.

Or, if you do decide to go domestic, go with a Lincoln. Yes, a Lincoln. Think about this for a second, the Mark VIII LSC, 32V Intech V8 4Cam (Yes, the SVT Cobra Engine..), and just weighs 200 or so more lbs then an LS1 Camaro SS. Yeahup. And basically anything that fits on the Mustang Cobra/GT will go on the Lincoln Intech. Or, even the Mark VII LSC. 225HP 5.0 HO (Mustang GT Engine, still, 87-93 GT Bolt on parts will go right on the engine in the Lincoln) Or, a Thunderbird, (Like I'm Doing). Basically a Mark VIII..just a little more plain jane and minus 75 HP..lol

Excellent choices, I've seen a gaggle (ew big word) of engines shoved in a nickel-dime (510). Like newer Nissan 4s and 6s from Nissan trucks, rotary Mazda engines 12a and 13b, Ford 2.3 turbos, turbo V-6s from 300Zs, inline 6s from 240-260-280Zs,Buick V-6s, to Ford 5.0s even saw 1 with a 350. Always thought a GNX engine would be great in one. I've seen one with a turbo 300Z V-6 wax a big block 69 Camaro! As well the Lincoln Tbird (even Cougar) idea is great! Even the earlier FOX bodied Cougar/Tbird/Mark all the 5.0 goodies go in place. Hell you could even find other FOX cars like the Zephyr/Fairmont or LTD and some Continentals all accept 5.0 goodies. Some of the late 80's GM intermidiates are great as well like the Malibu and it's sisters, the 80's Monte Carlos/Regals/Cutlasses/and 2+2 Pontiacs are all good.

s10lowrider27
05-04-2004, 12:10 PM
if you really want a fast car thats not going to grab a whole lot of attention, you may consider going with an S10. get one with either a 4.3l in it or put a smallblock chevy motor in it. you can get the 4.3 supercharged, put a whole new exhaust on it with some new headers. i would probably rebuild most of the motor, get all performace parts for inside the motor, add a nice intake, maybe a racing chip, and your looking at a pretty fast truck that wont grab too much attention. im not real sure what you can do with the small block chevy, but i have heard you can make them very fast!

-Josh-
05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
As long as it's not the shitty TBI 4.3 i could see that.

Filthy Sanchez
05-05-2004, 05:50 AM
As long as it's not the shitty TBI 4.3 i could see that.

God no TBI sucks at least make it the EFI. Besides I think I already suggested a small truck with small block S-10 with SBC or Ranger with SBF. Hell how about filling the fender walls of a Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, or Isuzu with a SBC, SBF, or Mopar SB. I think a Camaro powered Toyota is cool or a 5.0 Nissan Hardbody!?

camaroincal
05-06-2004, 10:15 AM
For 10k you can get a 95+ 3800 F-body and throw a 7 psi intercooled turbo on there and make it run 13's all day. With out the Z28 badging ppl would not back down from racing you but you'd smoke em like a LS1 would hehe. Or you can go to 10+ psi and run in the 12's as this guy is
http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001671

-Jayson-
05-07-2004, 11:32 AM
well i agree that an import car cant be a sleeper, not since FNF. If u want a believable sleeper your going to need an american car. Trucks always make good sleepers.

Filthy Sanchez
05-07-2004, 11:36 AM
well i agree that an import car cant be a sleeper, not since FNF. If u want a believable sleeper your going to need an american car. Trucks always make good sleepers.

I'd have to disagree, after all there are import trucks aren't there? As well there is a lot of import crap out there you can make into something and catch people of guard with. Oh yeah and lets not forget that FnF wasn't a documentary a lot of it was Mitsubishi sponsored bullshit hype.

2stangs
05-17-2004, 01:14 AM
Well, I don't know if it is possible but the GREATEST sleeper EVER would be a geo metro lsi convertable. I don't know how big of an engine you could put in, but if you could drop a stroked 347 5.0L Ford and turbocharge it with nitrous you would be a force to be recond with!!!

Filthy Sanchez
05-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Well, I don't know if it is possible but the GREATEST sleeper EVER would be a geo metro lsi convertable. I don't know how big of an engine you could put in, but if you could drop a stroked 347 5.0L Ford and turbocharge it with nitrous you would be a force to be recond with!!!

Yeah but converting a front driver to rear drive would easily put you over 10K.

CarSuperfreak
05-17-2004, 01:49 PM
early 90's crown vic or a caprice. 4.6L in the ford, 350 in the chevy. both engines have parts gallore available. yes their huge, thats the point. they can't weigh too much differntly than any muscle car, and we know those can get-up-and-go. I don't know as much about the 4.6, but i know with the 350, it doesnt take a lot of money to make it scream.

and besides, cops probably use these for a reason.....

Filthy Sanchez
05-17-2004, 01:53 PM
early 90's crown vic or a caprice. 4.6L in the ford, 350 in the chevy. both engines have parts gallore available. yes their huge, thats the point. they can't weigh too much differntly than any muscle car, and we know those can get-up-and-go. I don't know as much about the 4.6, but i know with the 350, it doesnt take a lot of money to make it scream.

and besides, cops probably use these for a reason.....

Good choice.

Boss San
05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, there cheap, and they get Govermental discounts from GM to use them. Plus I think it wouldn't be much a sleeper since everybody knows what a cop car looks like coming a mile away. But they're damn fast, I'll give 'em that.

72_R/T
06-22-2004, 02:43 AM
I got a 64 Polara with 60's on the back, Its a four door, Has the Factory unmodified 383 2barrel under the hood, Original Hub Caps on wheels :O

Not the Greatest, but will do 105 in the 1/4

A 240z is not a sleeper, A Honda with stickers and wings is like a Chick stuffing her bra. Looks nice until you look under the hood.

Not a GM fan but.. Any Caddy .

lucki17
06-22-2004, 05:38 PM
okay, here is what to do. get a 82' toyota 2dr tercel,(superlight weghtbody) slap in a motor from a later gen of celca's (one of the turbo ones) and then upgrade the motor and stuff and you would have one that looks dead until you see it fly past you doing like 120,also if you want a sleeper try really hard to get a more quite exhast.

project9sec
06-24-2004, 07:19 AM
okay so i have way to many problems with my bmw right now since it has many exterior mods (body kit, rims, all the goodies) and i get way to much attention that i dont need. so im sellin it and gettin a new car and keepin it pretty much stock on the exterior but heavily modding the engine. off the bat i have about 9-10k for the car itself and im looking for an import type car (i.e. prelude, tiburon, gti, etc...). i want the car to be one that i can heavily mod and that you guys think i can get a large amount of power from and what you guys recommend doing to it. if this makes any sense then let me know what you think. pretty much just what car i should get (used of course b/c i only have 10k off the bat for the car) and then what kind of mods you suggest i do to get max power and have a really good sleeper. i already know alot about cars i just cant decide and wanted some outside opinions..thanx all

Well if you want a sleeper you don't want to buy a prelude becuase they are heavy, tiburan's are slow and you can't egt any mods for the motor. I would suggest getting 92 to 95 honda civic because they are light you can do a motor swap for cheap and you can still do body work to the chicks

project9sec
06-24-2004, 07:23 AM
I got a 64 Polara with 60's on the back, Its a four door, Has the Factory unmodified 383 2barrel under the hood, Original Hub Caps on wheels :O

Not the Greatest, but will do 105 in the 1/4

A 240z is not a sleeper, A Honda with stickers and wings is like a Chick stuffing her bra. Looks nice until you look under the hood.

Not a GM fan but.. Any Caddy .

just so you know any car can be classified as a sleeper it just doesn't have to be a unabviouscar you can make a 240sx into a sleeper think sr20 det motor sleeper enough.

project9sec
06-24-2004, 07:26 AM
i have a sleeper it's a 1990 honda civic si with a frankenstien motor in it if you don't what that is it is a ls integra block with a gsr head

project9sec
06-24-2004, 07:28 AM
by the way my car gets 35 miles to the gallon and does the qtr mile in 12.6 with out nitrous. just wait till i get my knew motor it will dominate pretty much all cars if i have anything to do with it

project9sec
06-24-2004, 08:11 AM
well all the cars Lachean listed are awesome and all but i can't see a single on of them being a sleeper......

Don't know if this is possible within your budget in the U.S. but my friends have done the following here to their cars with less than $10,000 :

1. 1980's corolla with a twin turbo supra engine in it :iceslolan
2. 1989 crx, looks completely stock on the outside but is running a type R integra engine. :icon16:
3. supercharged V6 lumina. looks like a family car till you hear the whistle of the supercharger when he gets on the engine. :evillol:

All these were done with less than U.S.$ 10K spent on the mods and car itself.

the sad thing is your friends have better cars than you if you would have put the money that you spent on crap stereo equipment you could have had a decently fast camaro come on 14.1 that is slow and the altezza's for import's not domestics.

kenwood guy
06-25-2004, 11:22 PM
I like the ideas with the 240 sx I think thats the best sleeper but where can you get a hold of such a powerful engine?? let alone mantance stuff all thats $$$$ you know!

aznxthuggie
06-26-2004, 01:00 PM
by the way my car gets 35 miles to the gallon and does the qtr mile in 12.6 with out nitrous. just wait till i get my knew motor it will dominate pretty much all cars if i have anything to do with it

what car do you drive?

kenwood guy
07-02-2004, 11:40 PM
who me a nark...O I mean a chevy caprice with a useless v8 engine but i plan on a 240 sx I feel its the best sleeper for the buck

CrzyMR2T
07-03-2004, 01:34 AM
get a celica all track, 90-92 i think? it has the 3sgte motor like the mr2 turbo, and its the awd version of the celica, just take off the gt4 or whatever symbol on it. at least this car looks decent, and has good overall performance. these things are kinda hard to find though.

martinhutnik
07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
get an old honda accord, low to mid 90's, the 4 dr sedan, and just swap in some a crazy supercharged/turbod engine, and thats a real dam sleeper.
honestly, or if ur gonna go for american, any buick would do.

kenwood guy
07-13-2004, 07:31 PM
I dont wnat to swap engines I hear The stock motor is good

aznarabchaos
07-16-2004, 02:06 AM
Maxima with turbo.

kenwood guy
07-16-2004, 05:37 PM
never heard of the celica all track

Add your comment to this topic!