Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

more power for an unmodified r33 gts25t!

hammercar
03-29-2004, 10:30 AM
hiya all,
I was hoping someone could tell me or point me in the right direction. I just bought a r33 gts25t totally unmodified. what are some easy,quick ways that I (being new to skylines) can increase hp? cheers.

RazorGTR
03-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Full exhaust system to 3" and a good pod filter like an Apexi, HKS, or Trust

moondog
03-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Even my cat-back exhaust gave me a good increase. I have a Trust pod filter, but I'm thinking of going back to the airbox, as I have begun to notice a dulling of response when it's in traffic with the pod. One day I'll probably do up a proper cold air box for the pod, but at the moment I think I'll just go back to the Airbox. Hey, the Mines "Ultimate Response" R34 GTR still has the factory airbox.

It should go very well with those simple mods. If yours (as most 25ts seem to) has the boost in two distinct stages - switching up at around 5000 rpm - a boost controller of some sort should improve performance substantially, even without increasing the maximum boost. Just getting rid of that step speeds the car up a lot.

Zwrangler
04-01-2004, 03:17 PM
hiya all,I was hoping someone could tell me or point me in the right direction. I just bought a r33 gts25t totally unmodified. what are some easy,quick ways that I (being new to skylines) can increase hp? cheers.

Man its pretty damn obvious what you can do to increase performance in a stock car...... not to mention that this has been asked 20 million times over but heres some things for you to do anyway:

1. exhaust system (15-25% extra hp) depending on how godd the shop that does it for you is.
2. Air intake (5-15 extra hp) this will help the car breath much better and run more efficient
3. boost controller, this will allow you to increase the boost whenever you want it for racing, or lower the boost for normal driving conditions.
4. headers and extractors (10-25% extra hp)
5. take off as much weight on the car by loosing any unnecessary parts.
6. bigger aftermarket turbo and intercooler (big hp gains here but big money spent here too)
7. Nitrous kit....( :evillol: ) big hp gains here but a lot of stress on the engine.
8. better suspension will really make a huge difference in acceleration and handling.

These are just a few basic things, of course the sky is the limit with enough cash and the balls to go through with it :iceslolan

HondaHater
05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
will the r34 gtr airbox go on a r34 gt-t engine?

Moppie
05-04-2004, 11:36 PM
1. exhaust system (15-25% extra hp) depending on how godd the shop that does it for you is.
2. Air intake (5-15 extra hp) this will help the car breath much better and run more efficient
4. headers and extractors (10-25% extra hp)

30 years ago those sorts of gains were possible on some poorer engine designs, but even Nissan's engine building ablitys have advanced a long way since then.
Doing all of the above, might, if your lucky net you a 10% gain on 95% of the engines made in the last 15 years.

Zwrangler
05-05-2004, 02:08 AM
30 years ago those sorts of gains were possible on some poorer engine designs, but even Nissan's engine building ablitys have advanced a long way since then.
Doing all of the above, might, if your lucky net you a 10% gain on 95% of the engines made in the last 15 years.

Shit I just realised the mistake I made. I meant to say HP not % at the end of those mods. Like the exhaust will give 10-25hp not 10-25% extra. sorry thats my bad, i musta been writing quickly and didn't realise the mistake.

rev210
05-06-2004, 01:40 AM
I used to own an R33 GTST and I had it down to a 13.3 @106mph with a crap 60ft of 2.3 with an injector issue, that I sorted out later. The car with the new owner will be down the strip again soon and I expect it will be down to 12.8's on the same little rubber. Mid 12 with something a bit wider on the back rims.

I used:

A 1995 manual R33 gtst with 93k on the clock.

With the following Modifications:
* Apexi S-AFC second hand for $350 AUS
* HKS adjustable exhaust cam gear (set to 4 degrees retard) $180 AUS
* K&N panel filter inside stock airbox $90 AUS (don't worry about the air filter it does almost nothing for power, definately spend very little $ on it so skip the Apexi/HKS crap).
* 3inch FGK cat-back exhaust (very quiet exhaust) $700 AUS
* 3 inch stainless dump pipe off the turbo 'wrapped' with DEI thermal tape to the cat. This dump does not have a sepparate wastegate screamer or feed pipe. $400 AUS
* Diff Cradle kit or 'pineapples' , the Whiteline kit No. KCA349. $100 AUS
* Ogura Lightwieght flywheel 4.8kgs. $550 AUS
* Ceramic puck sprung clutch and stock pressure plate $330 AUS
* Wrapped turbo to intercooler pipe (DEI thermal tape). Left over from exhaust.
* Removed panel behind stock intercooler.Inside wheel arch on passenger side.
* Turbo smart bleed valve (cheap one) set to 10-12psi boost (no more unless you want the turbine wheel to let go on you). $100 AUS
* Simex 205/50 16 inch rear tyres. let them down to 19psi. Doing things the hard way here, bigger tyres are going to help ALOT with the times.
* NGK coppers ...BCPR7ES gapped to 0.75mm. Don't ever buy platinum plugs, they don't offer extra power and cost a bomb.

Everything else is stock : turbo, intercooler and ecu blah blah blah...

Appart from these modifications there are some don'ts you will find will hamper your attempts to go this quick on a dragstrip.

DON'T:

* Use an aftermarket blow off valve. (sorry rice boys)
* Run ultra low profile tyres unless they are wide, 235+
* Run the street inflation in your rear tyres, ie: 36psi.
* Run a pod unless you sheild it and route cold air to it.
* Change gears like a nanna, don't have to flat change tho'

Do this and by all accounts you will get a bunch of mid/low 13's if you can crack a 2.3 or better launch and your engine is healthy.

Have fun mate! :D

Add your comment to this topic!